Pipestone Golf Club

Dress code: Collared shirt required
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Red 72 3700 yards N/A N/A

Pipestone Golf Course is an Arthur Hills design that has been acclaimed as the best public course in the Dayton area. The name of the course comes from blue clay soil that is buried deep in the ground. The native Indians of the area would use it for making pottery and they would call it pipestone. Nestled amongst rolling hills, the golf course offers plenty of elevation changes. The undulating greens and fairways are kept in immaculate condition but they rarely offer a flat lie. The front nine is particularly challenging with several holes that are framed with tress and crisscross over the same creek. Pipestone Golf Course's second hole is one of the toughest with a water hazards and a fairway that is severely sloped right to left.

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for locals advanced golfers a weekend splurge   Challenges include elevation changes undulating greens bunkers   Great for drinks

homer250's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2019

"Slow"

mattdickey789's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2019

After 5 and a half hours we had to call it quits after the 11th hole, the staff booked 3 4 somes all for 1:30. Telling the staff what was happening hoping they would give us a rain check for 9 they just told us it is what it is.

Commented on 05/23/2019

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience. Your comments and feedback are extremely important to us. We appreciate you pointing out the positive aspects of your experience, and appreciate even more your feedback on how we may improve. We place a premium on our staff’s attentiveness and diligence when it comes to each one of our customers and their individual experiences, for which we are solely responsible. We are hard at work attending to your grievances, and hope to receive the opportunity to impress you in the future.

Warmest Regards,

"Great shape"

rkdick1974's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/12/2018

Great shape. Pace was really slow. Saw a ranger a few times, but he never stopped and said anything to the slow group. Otherwise, it was a fun round.

Commented on 10/09/2018

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this positive review. At Hampton Golf, we place a premium on customer satisfaction. Receiving positive feedback like yours reinforces the investments we are proud to make in our phenomenal people and systems that we hope ensure the best possible experience for our guests. Thank you again, and we look forward to you visiting us again in the future.

Warmest Regards,

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/02/2018

Waited 25 minutes just to check in after watching the wait staff make his coffee and chat it up with the bar worker. Sign in cart said to call grill or pro shop to have an order brought out "asap." Grill # "no longer in working service or had been changed.". Called the pro shop and after a failed attempt to transfer, same man who checked us in claimed they wouldn't be bring out water/Gatorade because no beverage cart service. 2 water sources on entire course in a 90 degree afternoon. Pace of play a little over 5 hours. Pin placements in ridiculous positions. Putted up hill on one occasion and only ran 2-3" past and literally rolled back down to my feet on a 10' putt.

Course Layout: Poor

Sincerely,

"Great Course !!"

richardsonmd1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2018

Great course that is challenging that gives you a lot to consider when playing. A lot of slope with rolling fairways, doglegs left & right, up and down with some bottle neck fairways and the greens were in great condition. Awesome layout with risk and reward holes ..

Sincerely,

Hampton Golf Management

"The green are not easy to reed and ondulated"

denise02's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2018

We play in 4 hours what’s good for Sunday afternoon.

Some holes have a blind shot you need someone to look where your ball stop.

We play this cours 3 time and always a good experience.

"Pipestone"

Ad166809's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/15/2018
Previously played Used cart Cold weather

Pace of Play was really slow. Also the members will constantly ask you to play thru which got really annoying.

Pipestone's conditions were great for a round in January.

Staff is always extremely nice.

This course does give you great value for the money. If you are looking for a course to challenge you with scenic views, Pipestone is the place.

I really like the layout of this course. Par 5's can be a bear from the Men's tees. The Par' 3's will make up for it though.

Off-Course amenities are great.

cgcarder's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/16/2017

"Extremely over booked."

Ryan6762269's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/10/2017

It took 6 hours to finish 18. Waited 20 minutes per hole. Had lines at every whole. Terribly disappointed. Will never return.

Commented on 06/16/2017

2. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are saddened to learn of the challenges you encountered and would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly. We place a premium on our staff’s attentiveness and diligence when it comes to each one of our customers and their individual experiences, for which we are responsible. Our management team has attempted to reach out to you personally via Golf Advisor. We look forward to hearing from you.

Our Sincerest Regards,

Hampton Golf Management

"Worst I've seen at this course, by far!!"

mattfilbrun1's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/02/2017

The course was soooo dried out, it didn't make it fun in any way. The fairways and greens were like blacktop. We had to move our balls out of the fairways and into the rough just to get a decent shot. On hole 6, I used a lob wedge to chip over a tree, and it came straight down onto the green, and instead of doing what it should have done (any other green, this shot would have stuck, and probably had backspin), the ball bounced straight up in the air at least 50 feet like it was bouncing off the cart path, and then bounced its way off the back side of the green, bouncing even more in the rough, and landed 50 yards past the green, from a 100 yards out. I've never hit a lob wedge 150 yards. This course was ridiculously dry. I used to love this course, but haven't been for a few years. It is in no way worth the money they charge now. I won't be back.

Commented on 06/16/2017

Our Sincerest Regards,

swolfmd's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2017

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Course in good condition but they were actively aerating/ punching the greens which made putting frustrating and took away from what should have been an good experience. There was no mention on Golf Now that the greens where being altered, no discount at the pro shop for playing on punched greens. Had I known I would never have made the trip.

Commented on 06/02/2017

Thank you for the review. It is our goal to provide an experience that exceeds Guests expectations. In this case the greens were being verticut, a bimonthly practice to better putting surfaces. The course was not aerified, which is much more intrusive practice that we make special note of on all reservation systems. I hope you will consider returning to Pipestone soon and experience the great playing conditions we strive to deliver.

PinupPilot's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2017
Previously played Walked Hot weather

"Great course/poor management"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2017

We played at 5pm and were told it was open. As soon as we finished the first hole, we waited anywhere from 5-10 minutes between shots. The pace of play was terrible. We didn't get a chance to even finish the 18. They put too many people on too close together and then did not regulate the poor players which caused a chain reaction of waiting.

The course and the staff were very friendly. However, for the price of the course, not looking to play there anytime soon with that pace.

"Again Slow Play"

BusterOneIron's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/09/2017

Play here 4-5 times a year every time the pace of play is slow. On 3-9 Thursday 1pm behind 3 4-somes---- t-shirts, blue jeans, tennis shoes, would not let our group of 3 play through 4 hours 50 min to play.........It's early but do try to speed up play a bit!!!

"Quick 18!"

bsk1023's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/11/2016

Played a late round Sunday afternoon, course a little soggy from previous day's rain. Course was in excellent condition and 1st week of NFL meant few golfers on course, got around in 2.25 hours. Staff was excellent.

"Fun course"

Adam4567's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/08/2016

The course was in good shape, greens were great! The staff couldn't have been more courteous & helpful. I enjoy playing this course every time I play it.

"Good Day"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/29/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Nice layout. Tough, Arthur Hills designed greens. Course in good shape. Front nine holes cross back and forth near each other a lot but back nine is very spread out and excellent. Greens were good. Staff very friendly -- they need an internet upgrade -- check in process very slow as computers were down. Excellent food in clubhouse and $1 beers on Fridays always adds more fun to the day.

"Pipestone"

iralaw63's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/27/2016

Very nice,Dayton area course. Challenging layout. Greens are quick..you'll use every club in your bag

"Perfect place for a group event"

Shawn2342587's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This will be a little lengthy but hopefully helpful if you're planning an event. About a month ago when I started planning a golf outing for our church and was recommended to do it at Pipestone from someone who works there. From the early stages their staff was courteous and informative. Bob pretty much laid out a schedule for me of what would be needed and when. I stopped by the week of the event with a list of questions on how this would go. Bob, Kevin, and Mike pretty much answered every question with, “We’ve got that” or “We can do that”. I was in a little disbelief because this just all seemed too easy.

Our event was scheduled to start at 7:30 for check-in with a shotgun start at 8:30. I arrived 30 minutes early to find our carts lined up in front of the building, someone putting the signs/scorecards on the carts, an audio system already setup to address the golfers, a registration table setup for check-in, range balls prepositioned on the driving range, the dining room setup for our catered lunch, and Bob filling out the information for the prize holes. I was amazed. Bob even remembered we had a person coming with us who wasn’t golfing and had that cart set aside. I also told him in an email we would be pre-buying drink tickets and he had a stack of those ready to go. I couldn’t believe how perfectly this was all going. Just before the event started Bob came out to address the group of golfers and let them know there would be course captains helping them get to their holes.

The event started without incident and the course was absolutely perfect! I was getting comments all morning about how nice the course was and was equally impressed with how many of your staff were driving around making sure everyone was taken care of. We finished just before 1 and came back to the clubhouse. Bob was collecting cards and transcribing the scores to the scoresheet. I checked on the food and saw Mike, who was in charge of catering, off to the side. I asked him how this would go and he assured me they had plenty of food for our group of 33 and would start whenever I was ready. When most of our folks were back we started eating and WOW! The hamburgers/hotdogs/mashed potatoes were outstanding! Over the last three days everyone that has approached me about the even has commented on how amazing the food was! I’ve also had several people come up to me and tell me how impressed they were with my efforts in setting this up. I tell them right away, “Pipestone did it all”.

Pipestone staff were outstanding and a testament to what a quality organization they're running there. Those guys took care of all the legwork and just allowed us to enjoy a beautiful day of golf without a shred of worry. We plan on doing this event every year and I can tell you unequivocally it will be at Pipestone!

Shawn Walker

"Pipestone was great"

Raymond5709260's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/03/2016

Very nice course. Will definitely recommend it!