Championship at Harbor Links Golf Course

Dress code: Proper golf attire must be worn at all times: shirts with collar; no denim, cut-offs, tank tops, or halter tops will be permitted.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

"Top quality challenging course with a memorable layout"

LICC's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2019

This is a follow-up review with pictures added. Harbor Links is a fun course in a nice setting. It has a good number of memorable holes many due to design features such as split fairways with risk-reward options, good fairway movement and elevations, green settings, and holes routed through and around environmental areas. The course elevates up a cliffside and back down so it is not amenable to walking. The greens are very good, fairly large on most holes with ridges and slopes. The course does play too penal on many holes because the rough is so thick that you can see where your ball lands and still not find it when you get to the spot. Miss a fairway by a few yards or be just off the green in the rough and you will have a tough time. They seem to be putting in a first cut on some holes that would help.

"Great Layout/Conditions but Overpriced"

TeeRNJ's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/20/2018

Considering it’s a Hurdzan/Fry designed course (Erin Hills) the course layout is fun and interesting with lots of elevation changes and undulating greens. The course was a little wet from rain the night before but overall, conditions were very good. I have always kept an eye on this course but hesitated due to high greens fees and reviews of poor pace of play. I finally played this course during an outing which ended up taking 5 hours but it was expected going in. Although the outing fee was slightly cheaper than the standard rate, the price was offset by complimentary breakfast, lunch, beverages and range balls. Although I enjoyed my round, I don’t think I would recommend it for the $100+ greens fee unless money isn’t an issue and you play it on a weekday to avoid a long round.

"Staff deployable"

codykruk's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/13/2018

Horrible service we show up for our tee time on the minute and they apologize and tell us they sent someone out and went be able to get us out for another hour and a half. Due to the fact we weren't in a hour early to check in. Yet we were in the parking lot 5 mins early debating breakfast. I called made a reservation I wasn't told about this policy and received a confirmation email where I read all the fine print and it wasn't mentioned. For the north shore of long island the service her belongs in the slums of Harlem. Avoid!!!!!!

Course Layout: Poor

"The worst staff"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/29/2018

When paying for round I explained (1 hour before tee time) I had 3 players there and paid, my fourth had an emergency. Man behind counter ran off two golfers attempting to rent clubs and play, asked if they had played golf before and said if you haven’t you shouldn’t play here. My fourth had an emergency couldn’t make it I paid cash 100 for my round and saw an 85.00 cancellation fee on my account this morning. Spoke to Justin business manager explained situation and he said that’s our policy didn’t attempt to compensate me in anyway , so I paid 185 for a 5.5 hour round and a rude staff, staty away from this course , money hungry and rude.

"Can't recommend until they fix pace of play"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2018

This is a lovely course that's typically maintained in very good condition but I don't recommend it until they do something about the pace of play. I've played twice this year and each time bagged it after the first 9 holes took over 3 hours. I played the course several times late last season and didn't have this problem. They need some combination of moving off 8 minute tee times on weekends, more aggressive marshaling and making sure people play the appropriate tees.

"Slow pace of play ruins this place"

matbeh's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/14/2018

They seem to have so many employees on staff seemingly doing nothing. Usually 2 starters hanging around on the first tee, and at the same time theres no ranger on the course trying to maintain pace of play.

"6 hour death march"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/17/2017

Slow paced w blind shots and absurdly thick 1st and 2nd cut of rough. Its not the us open fellas. Its such a great layout w sloping difficult greens no need to Oakmont the course. Its tougher than its slope and rating. Too many blind shots for me. 9Th hole is not a good hole w driving range balls on it. Too close to the range. The 10th is imo an unfair test. Other than 9 and 10 its a fun track. Cut the rough we aren't PGA tour pros here. Price is ridiculous at $115

Commented on 05/28/2018

If you can't handle it i suggest Jones Beach pitch and putt.

"Pace of play is awful"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/21/2017
Previously played Used cart

I've played harbor links probably 15-20 times, and the pace of play just continues to get worse and worse. They jam everyone in and force you to play with another group if your less than 4 people. The staff there is just a bunch of older guys that love to keep you waiting, especially at the first tee. They like to verify your handicap is below 10, otherwise your not allowed to play the back (Green) tees, even though the slope is only 130 from the back. If you enjoy waiting on every shot, play this course.

"Very well conditioned public course with varied layout, but penal rough"

LICC's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/03/2017

This is a very nice layout, with variety and greens with interesting slope and contours. Several holes have good options off the tees, with split fairways or blind hazards. The course is very difficult to walk given the big elevations on many of the green to tee transitions. The main issue is that the rough is so thick that you could be five feet off the fairway and not find your ball. They should widen the first cut more to increase the fun factor. It can really frustrate and slow the pace of play. I would give 3-1/2 stars. The facilities are nice and the staff very helpful.

"6 Hours!!!"

rkober's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/14/2017

That was the pace of play. We had a 12:12 reservation, were pushed back and teed off at 12:25...then we waited all day. We approached the 10th tee at around 3:15 pm and everyone in our group bailed when the foursome ahead of us was waiting on the tee box. The manager on duty offered us ZERO for our troubles. Nothing! We'll return the favor and come back to play ZERO times. Management has to take some responsibility for this. Makes a good case for biting the bullet and joining a private club.

"MGA Play Day"

ozzone47's avatar
New York Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/22/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

We played in an MGA event and the pace of play was good, did not have to wait but it's still 5 hrs, it's just that kind of course. Conditions were very good. Not sure if it's worth $100 (typical fee) for out of towners.

"Expect glacial pace of play"

PreppySalmon's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/12/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Positives:
- course is in very good shape
- challenging course for all levels

Negatives:
- pace of play is incredibly slow & there are no rangers out there to regulate it
- beverage cart only appeared on the back 9 after we called pro shop to complain
- we were told there are coolers of water on the course, there definitely were not
- overpriced based on level of services

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"5:00 round with a 8:30 am tee time- enough said"

evanrubin's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/09/2015

Staff drives around scolding you for hitting out of an environment area but does nothing about group in front of you is a full hole behind pace. Other staff to busy yelling you not to chip around putting green when if they would just post a sign you wouldn't do it!!!!

Having played five other local courses this season so far this was in worst condition of all of them. Greens did not roll (how about a trim once or a while) no water coolers and no beverage cart, for $120 how about some amenities

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"Poor facilities for $115"

martynsnook's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/18/2014

The course is great and in good condition but the facilities are poor. Small clubhouse, bathrooms in bad condition and no cart with refreshments. Pace of play is poor with no Marshall's.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"Nice course but expensive"

pedz55's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/18/2014
Previously played Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Course is unique among public courses in the area. Has a links style feel to it, though not exactly a links course. Not a lot of trees, but I seem to find them on the holes that do have them. Rough is pretty thick and penal, you want to make an effort to stay out of it. There is also a lot of fescue and other types of tall natural grasses that make for a lot of trouble if you are off course (I usually lose more balls here than at other courses). Greens are in good condition but not great, They are a little bumpy, but they are pretty fast. As others have mentioned pace is pretty slow, even when I play a round that seems quicker than normal it is 5 hours, and sometimes longer. Rangers are nice but don't see them doing anything to move the pace of play along.

Overall it is an interesting layout with some split fairways, elevation changes, different grasses, and some easy holes that provide opportunity and others that are very challenging.

I would recommend this course, but if you are not a resident of North Hempstead it is very expensive and probably not worth it. Even for residents it is currently $90 with cart (required on weekends), not a bargain.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Home of the 5.5 Hour round"

efrank001's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/13/2014
Previously played Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

This was a very slow round of golf which was not enjoyable. Hard to find a Ranger on the course and when we finally did see someone they were classified as a players assistant. This person provided no assistance and really did not want to to confront the slow play ahead of us. When I went inside the pro shop at the turn to inform them of the issue, they were not interested in helping in any way.

If you like slow play and enjoy paying top dollar to wait on every hole this course is for you.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"this course has great and not far from my place."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/03/2013
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

This course is not easy. but i like .They has dog leg and beautiful view.

Quality of food & beverage: Average