Middletown Country Club

3.5198588235 3.5 stars from 5 (200)

• 420 N Bellevue Ave, Langhorne, Pennsylvania 19047, Bucks County
  • www.middletowncc.com

Year built: 1913
Architect(s): Alex Findlay (1913), George Fazio, Stephen Kay
Type: Public

Driving range: No

Dress code: Appropriate golf attire.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Back 69 6217 yards 68.4 119
Middle 69 5746 yards 66.7 116
Forward (W) 73 5175 yards 64.3 107

Middletown Country Club has been one of Bucks County's major golfing destinations for more than a century. Originally designed as a nine-hole golf course in 1913 by Scottish architect Alexander Findlay, the second nine was added three years later. In the many years since opening, the golf course has undergone renovations by both George Fazio and Stephen Kay. This tough course is proof that a layout doesn't have to be 7,500-plus yards to be a challenge. Although the Middletown C.C. golf course plays to a seemingly modest yardage of 6,217 from the back tees, the rolling terrain provided by its location in the scenic Neshaminy Valley makes the course seem much longer. The small greens have plenty of undulations and you'll also be faced with a variety of uphill, downhill, and sidehill lies. There are also towering trees looming above the fairways and water comes into play throughout the golf course as well.

Location is in the 'burbs convenient to the city worth the drive   Great for locals beginners advanced golfers   Challenges include elevation changes undulating greens narrow fairways   Great for drinks watching the game dinner

"Great Value"

TylerDekorte's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2019
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

The course is well maintained with a few rough patches depending on the week. The first nine holes include very few hazards, While the back nine consists of multiple holes with water and bunkers. Overall a consistently enjoyable course.

Commented on 06/05/2019

Hi Tyler, thank you for the four stars! We are glad that you enjoyed playing Middletown Country Club the other day. We'll see you again soon.

"fun day"

sixeagles's avatar
Philly Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/21/2019
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

Hey Dan, didn't see you around today. Played my own mix of gold and white tees. Best drive of the day was dropping one down in the lower fairway on 13 less than 100 yards out from gold tees. Greens on front seemed OK but back nine was recently aerated. Notice the 13th doesn't have fairway cut all the way down the hill anymore and some tree removal has been done. Overall course looks good but wish more money could be put into it and more trees trimmed back or removed. Bunkers were not good. Like the makeshift cart path up the right side of 18 as not allowing carts on the hole.

Commented on 05/22/2019

Hi, thank you for the four stars! We've passed your review onto Dan, but we appreciate your detailed feedback. We are always trying to improve the course where possible. We'll see you again soon!

"Good course."

hughes12's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/19/2019

I’ve played Middletown for many years. Do be deceived by the length. He maybe short but you better be accurate. Greens have improved dramatically over the years. Pretty good speed and undulation. If can get backed up pretty quick if they’re too many people on the course.

Overall good course for accuracy.

Commented on 05/20/2019

Hi, thank you for the four-star review! We are happy to hear that you had a good time at Middletown Country Club. Thanks for stopping by, and we hope to see you again soon.

"Much better experience"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/15/2019

Pace of play was very good, greens were excellent, rough was long but I'm sure that was due to the rain this week, they were cutting rough today.This was a vastly improved experience from the last time I played. Dan the golf pro comped me the round based on my previous experience. He reached out to me, listened to my criticism and asked me to give them another chance on him. I'm glad I did and look forward to coming back soon.

Commented on 05/17/2019

Hi, thank you for the five stars! We are thrilled that you decided to come back and play Middletown again. We hope to see you again soon.

"First time play"

lawmanstringy's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/04/2019

First time at the course. Staff was the friendliest that I have encountered this year. Very helpful. The course has a nice layout and flow. Never had to wait at a tee.

Commented on 05/07/2019

Hi, thank you for the five stars! We are so happy to hear that you had a friendly experience with our staff and enjoyed the course layout at Middletown Country Club. We'll see you again soon.

"Pretty good for the price"

Bsure2020's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2019

If you’re a golf snob, this might not be the course for you. But for the novice golfer, and for a good price, the course is good.

Commented on 04/23/2019

Hi, we hope that you still had a good time out there the other day. Thanks for the feedback, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Slow play"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/13/2019

5 hour and 15 minute round and of March 4 hours and 40 minutes to play only 12 holes on April 13th enough said never again management doesn't care left my name and phone number pro never called me back

"Poorly managed"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/13/2019

I played the course the end of March with a 5 hour and 15 minute round. I gave it another shot Saturday April 13th 12 o'clock tee time 4 hours and 40 minutes into the round we had only completed 12 holes At that point we had enough figuring the entire round would be about 6 hours so we gave up and took the carts in they had booked an outing Saturday morning primetime with 30 to 35 golfers and then immediately had T times after that Apparently they didn't give a dam about anybody after the outing went off the ranger drove around and basically did nothing to speed things along I voiced my displeasure at the front desk and left my name and number and haven't heard from any body it's an absolute disgrace the way they are running this course and I'll never go there again.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/12/2019

Commented on 04/15/2019

Hi, thank you for the four stars! We are glad to see that you had a good time at Middletown Country Club. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Great Classic Findlay Course"

zw222IhGVejn8QpFI2j4's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/09/2019
Previously played Walked Perfect weather

This is a great course if you are interested in Golf Architecture. 14 of the original 18 holes were laid out by Alex Findlay the "father of American golf." As with most Findlay courses you will need to play all of your clubs in the bag and think about how you set up the next shot. Cool interesting architectural history like the "chocolate drops" in the 17th fairway of a driveable par 4 with a slippery green. The course drains pretty good overall. I play it frequently driving out from Philadelphia for a really reasonable walking price. To play where Ben Hogan, Joe Kirkwood, Leo Diegel teed it up is pretty cool.

If you're idea of golf is just driver and pitching wedge then you probably won't enjoy this track. But if you like strategy, history, and friendly staff this is an awesome place to play. I highly recommend. Good weekday walk and the pro Dan Hoban is very approachable, inviting, and proud of the course.

Commented on 05/21/2019

It is an accomplishment to get 18 holes in on that small property. I could be wrong but I think there are only 11 holes that are unchanged or only slightly modified from the original design.

"Golf As It’s Not Meant To Be"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/09/2019

Severely slanted/sloped fairways and greens. Not unusual to land a ball in middle or left center of fairway only to have it come to rest on right side of right cart path.

Sloped Greens in general can be fun, however Middletown takes it too far (and the fun out of it).

Currently greens are sub par speed and condition.

Collars and areas surrounding greens are beat up and cared for well below average.

18th hole has been closed so there’s option to play 17 twice (fun drivable par 4) or play 1 again.

Many better golf options in the area.

Worth a $20 Hot Deal but nothing more in one golfers opinion

Commented on 05/21/2019

You obviously haven't played too many old school golf courses of that era. A lot of the private clubs in the area are similar in design with hard sloping greens and fairways where you have to play the hole for the roll the fairway will give you. I used to caddy at Torresdale, a Donald Ross course, and there were holes if you were in the wrong spot you could not keep it on the green. These kind of greens were not designed for the speed of how they are kept today. I played in an outing ta Philmont last week and same thing. It isn't a detractor of the course, it's the design. You learn how to play it.

Commented on 04/12/2019

Hi, we are sorry that you didn't enjoy your round of golf with us the other day. We are currently renovating the 18th and we are doing some other maintenance work that will be completed soon. Your feedback is important to us. We hope you'll consider coming back in the future.

DVDPHILLY's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/02/2019

"Good practice and group outings"

Travis8923962's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/18/2019

Some challenging greens and drivable par 4s. Short, no par 5s on the back unless you're a short driver. Tight course layout, common for this area, so expect a couple fores.

Commented on 03/22/2019

Hi Travis, thank you for the three stars. We hope that you found our course enjoyable even though it was a bit challenging. We appreciate your feedback, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Middletown GC"

rmears24's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2019

We played after a storm had rolled through the area so the course was pretty wet and muddy. The 18th hole was all torn up so there was basically no real cart path on that hole. But all in all the course played pretty well given the conditions. I was afraid the greens might be a little messed up from what I had heard from previously but they seemed to be in decent condition so no complaints there. I will play this course again.

Commented on 06/10/2019

Hi, thank you for your feedback! Unfortunately we cannot control what the weather will do to our course so we hope next time you stop by it will be a five-star review. We'll see you again soon.

shaun1128097's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/02/2019

Very good course friendly staff. Great place to have a good outing

Commented on 06/06/2019

Hi Shaun, thank you for the five stars! We are glad that you had a good time on the course and a pleasant experience with our staff. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Disappointed."

Shawn8149817's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/25/2019

Historically, Middletown has been one of my favorite courses, but my experience today was extremely disappointing. Typically, if a course is having aeration on the greens GolfNow will make a note, but I did not receive anything and the green conditions were not great. It’s tough paying full price on Memorial Day weekend to play on aerated, sandy greens without notice.

Additionally, there were pins that were in spots they should just not have been on several holes, including 10 and 17 where even as a solid golfer I felt like those greens were not even close to accessible or score-able.

Finally, the gentleman in the pro shop scolded me for being “late” even though I was in the pro shop 15 minutes prior to our tee time. He also lectured me as our fourth had not arrived yet. We teed off on time and we’re ready to go, I understand it’s a Saturday and busy but lecturing me about being on time when I was probably isn’t the greatest way to show hospitality.

I love Middletown, hopefully this was an isolated poor experience but I definitely felt wronged and will hesitate playing here next time.

Overall, in my other experiences it has been a great track and a great experience. Seemed very uncharacteristic.

Course Layout: Poor

Mabbs1694's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2019

Commented on 04/02/2019

Hi, thank you for the four-star review! We are happy to see that you had a good time at Middletown Country Club. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Nice layout"

rayslough's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/23/2018

HAd fun nice pAce hooked up with 3 strAngers had fun day

Response from Middletown Country Club on 10/26/2018:

Hi Ray, thanks for the four stars! We are glad that you enjoyed our course layout and had a great round of golf. Come back again soon!

rayslough's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/22/2018

Response from Middletown Country Club on 10/26/2018:

Hi Ray, thanks for the three stars. We hope that you had a good round of golf despite the difficulty of our course. Thanks for stopping by!

bill9917040's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/19/2018
Previously played Cold weather Verified Purchaser

Response from Middletown Country Club on 10/26/2018:

Hi Bill, thanks for the four-star review! We are glad that you had a great golfing experience with us the other day. Thanks for choosing to play Middletown Country Club, and we hope to see you again soon.