Furman University Golf Course

• 400 North Hwy 25 Bypass, Greenville, South Carolina 29613, Greenville County
  • www.furmangolfclub.com

Year built: 1955
Architect(s): Kris Spence (2008), MacCurrach Golf (2012), Scot Sherman (2012)
Type: Semi-Private

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: No denim allowed. Shirt with collar required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Purple 72 7004 yards 73.6 134
Lavender 72 4993 yards 68.5 115
Family/Level 2 72 3535 yards N/A N/A
Family/Level 1 72 1770 yards N/A N/A

"Nice course"

Chris2527's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2019

Good course fun to play Easy to walk and setup tee times online

"Excellent course layout in great condition"

RettJ's avatar
Georgia Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/10/2018
Previously played Used cart Wet weather

II have played Furman golf course several times and each time I play, I really like the course and it is always in top condition.

The course is layed out on pretty, rolling land, with tree-lined fairways. The course is very wide open. I didn't lose a ball all day long because if you miss-hit the course is pretty wide open. Some of the tee shots on the holes give plenty of room off the tee, and tee shots make you feel like you are trying to hit your drive down a bowling alley.

The course plays longer than the yardage with many uphill shots. All the greens (except two or three) are slightly elevated making club selection critical and the yardage a little longer than what is stated on the card.

The greens are very smooth and roll true with lots of undulations and breaks. The nice greens made putting challenging, but very fair.

The tee boxes were lush and nice. The fairways were great with very few bare spots. The rough was lush, long and very challenging. Overall, the course is in great condition.

"This is the place if you are ever in the Greenville area"

Phillip8655869's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/11/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

I've played this course a couple of times previously, although it had been many years since the last time I teed it up here, so it was like playing it for the first time. I showed up without a tee time early on a weekday morning, hoping I could get paired up with someone else. No such luck. The wierd part is that the lady checking me in said that the earliest tee time I could get where they could pair me with someone was like 2 hours from when I showed up. I was on vacation, so I didn't care, so I said sure. I took my time and hit the range, and had an extended warm up session, which was nice. When it came time for my tee time I was then informed that I should just go ahead and tee off by myself, as the twosome that was supposed to show up never did. The course was packed already, so I really didn't want to play as a single, but after waiting another 20 minutes and no one was teeing off I went ahead and went. Really just a strange situation, and there's nothing anyone can do about that. I was a single, so I just shrugged it off and teed off. The course itself is in fantastic shape. They had just punched the greens a few weeks ago, but it didn't really detract from putting too much. I ended up pairing up with one guy who went off behind me, for the front nine, and then he left after nine holes. So I'm back to being a single, and waiting on a full course in front of me that honestly were playing at a good 4-hour round pace, so I can't complain about the pace of play really at all, even if I like to fly around any golf course. What you really need to know is that this course is a tremendous value for the golf course that you get. They play (or used to anyway) USGA qualifiers here, so you know you are getting a top notch track in excellent shape. From the tips it will be all the golf course anyone can handle, and they have enough tees for any level of skilled golfer. The fairways are wide open enough that if you aren't the greatest golfer you can still manage your way around this place. Basically whenever I drive up to Asheville to visit my folks my car starts shaking when I drive by this place. Great golf course, and such a great value to play every time.

"Fun time"

Robearski89's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/05/2017

This course was really fun. Very fast, elevated greens, great course conditions. Wonderful layout. The course demands a specific shot from every location tee to green. Loved it.

"Enjoyed our round"

Don2582725's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/04/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Missed out playing here last year due to rain so nice to revisit on a very sunny day.

Course conditions were good, greens were tough to read and somewhat fast but rough made it tough to find balls if you were off course.

Overall enjoyed the course and would come back

"Fantastic Greens...."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/03/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Terrific course. Beautiful rolling land, and tree-lined fairways. Some of the holes give some room, and others make you feel like you are trying to hit it down a bus aisle. The course plays longer than the yardage with a plenty of uphill shots....and all of the greens are slightly elevated making club selection critical. But the greens are amazing. Lots of undulations (wonderful), and perfectly smooth. Made putting challenging, but loads of fun. Cannot wait to go back