Franklin D. Roosevelt Golf Course

1.8198058824 1.8 stars from 5 (46)

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is convenient to the city near the airport   Great for beginners locals   Challenges include thick rough

golfpatriot's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2019

"1 Star Is Generous"

215EM's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/02/2019
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Tee time was booked days in advance. We arrived at 20 minutes early to check in. They did not have a cart for us. People had carts on the driving range, which is unheard of. Staff lied about wait time for a cart. We did not tee off until 35-40 min after our tee time. Course conditions were awful. There were 5 holes where you had a blind tee shot over weeds/grass that was 10 ft high. This is very dangerous because you couldn't tell if people were still on the other side. The layout of the course did not make sense and there was no direction on where to go for the next hole. Cart paths were missing or completely destroyed. The cart's steering wheel was completely off center and the cart was damaged. The bridges and walkways had pieces of wood hanging and missing, which is unsafe. The greens had markings all over them. The bunkers contained so much grass. Not even worth $15 bucks to play here. The only thing that was nice was the practice putting and chipping space. it is simply poor to hear other people that were also waiting compare this course to Jurassic Park meets the Amazon forest.

MrSavvy's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2019
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

"Cost made this course ok"

jtk072682's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/25/2019

I went with a buddy who is just getting into golf. I have played the course a couple times knowing it wasn’t the best but for the $17 pp we payed I figured why not. This course has good potential but the cart paths are horrible and not very clear getting from hole to hole. It seemed like small asteroid strikes had hit the paths leaving giant trenches to navigate through mud and potholes. We had to push our cart out 2x and almost tipped it a few times trying to drive the course. If you want to play a cheap round you could do worse.

"Bad Course and getting worse"

Zebra16's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2019

This course needs a serious overhaul. Been playing this course for many years because have been a member of a golf league which I enjoy. Every year when I think the course conditions can not get any worse, I am proven wrong. This course is a disappointment. May have to think about leaving the league.

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2019

Course Difficulty:  Extremely Easy

"STAY AWAY"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/24/2019

If you’re looking to play at the worst golf course in the state of PA then this place is the place for you. I read all the negative reviews about this place and thought “for 15 bucks I’m sure it’s not THAT bad” and boy was I wrong. It was worse. They called us 20 minutes before our tee time (in the afternoon) to tell us the whole front 9 was closed, and we had to walk no golf carts (which we paid for 18 and carts). Extremely inconsiderate. Fairways were awful covered in mud and the geeens were even worse. Zero upkeep on this place. You couldn’t pay me to play here again. Stay away from this place. This place was so bad it made me question if I even liked golf anymore. Again, and I can not stress this enough, never play here. Shocked it’s even in business.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/17/2019

"Run down"

StevenGeorge's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/31/2018

Run down and old , maybe a 15 dollar course. The pot holes on the course from the ground hogs or on the cart path will make you think your at a theme park. Grass needs to be cut . Greens need attention , greens needs attention.

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2018

"Horrible course!"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2018

The course is in horrible shape! Either the grass isn't cut at all or it was cut and the dead grass was left on the course. The greens are in horrible shape they're patchy and some of them even have mounds of sand on them! The cart paths are even worse they have huge crater size holes in all of them throughout the course. There was trash all over, empty beer cans and other debris. And there was no water on the course. They don't have coolers on the golf carts to keep ice in to keep your drinks cold and won't allow you to bring your own cooler! Nobody wants to drink hot water and Gatorade! $25 is still too much for this raggedy course, it needs serious maintenance.

"Not maintained"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/08/2018

Course is in terrible condition. Cart path almost non existent. Huge branches and dead spots in fairways and greens. Standard rate is $25 which is actually expensive for what you get.

Course Layout: Poor

"Best for Locals to Get Rounds In Frequently"

Simsjim's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/26/2017
Previously played Walked Perfect weather

I would treat this place like a gym. If your gym is too far away, you're not gonna workout very often, but if its close, you'll work out whenever you have time. This is exactly how I use this course: after-work rounds. Its perfect for inner-city locals who don't want to drive 45+ minutes to a club in the burbs to play golf after work.

I’m not sure why people's reviews beat this course up so much. My experience was pleasant, and I know I will play here again. They have membership rates that are a crazy value in comparison to to other clubs. IMO these rates reflect an accurate self-appraisal on Billy Casper Golf's part about exactly what they have in FDR - an inner city municipal course attempting to accommodate inner-city golfer's demand.

I’ve played nicer courses, and I’ve played worse as well. I'll say I am high handicap golfer with about 4 seasons behind me - just to level-set. I can see why better golfers could expect more challenges than what this course offers, but I enjoyed myself for a number of reasons. The staff was friendly, the course was easy to navigate, and I was able to save-face with some strategically played rescue shots when things didn’t go right down the middle – which for me is 70% of the time.

I come later in the day, and walk, so I am not subjected to the reportedly troublesome carts and paths that folks tend to complain about. The paths are a bit rough in spots, but as a walker, I am blissfully unaffected by this. I prefer to walk.

Also if we think about the history of this course - it was opened in the 1940's when there wasn't golf carts anyway. It’s evident by the layout that the course was originally designed for walking. I think Ed Clarey would be pleased if folks walked and enjoyed some of the natural subtleties of his course design instead of smogging past them while making sure your cart bag doesn’t fly off the back.

I recently moved to Philadelphia and this course is practically in my back-yard, so that makes the convenience draw quite strong. I had a wonderfully enjoyable walking round as I watched the sun set over the city.

There are some subtle bits of conditioning that give evidence the Billy Casper Golf is trying hard to make this course as pleasant as possible. Things like a few holes with false fronts clipped into the grass etc. Certainly players cant expect lush, maniucred conditions at a municipal course with municipal greens fees. There are a few trouble spots for sure, but overall the place doesnt feel like its being neglected. The fairways are clipped, the greens are in surprising shape in most cases.

Finally, they are a host club to the First Tee program - a youth development program that teaches core values through golf.

In summary - not a destination course, but a place for locals to work on game improvement frequently.

"Still one of the worse course and staff"

Mmeighan52's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/28/2017

I haven't played at FDR in over a year so I figured I would check if they actually put any money into the course. There are still greens that are missing areas and roll as slow as greens can. There is no first cut around the greens at all and crab grass is everywhere. It's a shame they don't try to put some money into this course. If it rains you can't play it for a week because the drainage is so bad. The practice area is the nicest part about this place. Make sure you don't have tokens you might of had saved from when they had a ball machine, because they don't honor them. How can you sell something and not honor it a few months later is absurd. I guess when you have a staff as rude as the people there you can see why. This will be the last time I waste money at this place.

"Fair city course"

Paxton1983160's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/25/2017

The course is near the Stadiums so easy to access from all directions and the reason I have started playing this course. It's $25 flat rate so for the cost of nine hole rate you can play. If you play nine they are flexible about where you start. Golf range and 2 greens with one for chipping. The course is fair and makes you hit some real golf shots especially on the front. Do not expect $100 amenities, it's not that kind of spot. If you play early, lots of old timers that let you play through. I finish 18 on a Sunday at 11:00a between 2:45 & 3hrs on a regular. They do have a snack bar and the turn is in front of the clubhouse for a snack.

Saturno8415247's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/23/2017

"Not bad for the price"

Dan5499354's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

You get what you pay for - $25 got me a round at noon on a hot Sunday where the cart ran out of gas on hole 16.

We had a large group and weren't held up once and weren't pressured from the group behind us at all. The course was in pretty rough shape; some tee boxes were difficult to find a semi-usable spot for your tee, and greens weren't very smooth to putt on.

Overall, when you factor in a low cost for a Sunday afternoon with a large group, it wasn't great but wasn't terrible.

"Awful"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/10/2017

Couldn't even get on the course. Waited 1 hour for carts. It wasn't even busy. Management some how had it where 6 carts were returned all at once. When it was actually our turn the starter had another group go ahead of us. Absolutely no communication. Left after waiting an hour.

"Ok"

jackdubs's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2017

I play here on occasion. It is $10 for a walking price which is worth it since the course isn't that long. Not good conditions but, worth it for the $10 I have to pay. The course has all skill level golfers so it doesn't matter if you are good or bad, you shouldn't feel bad about not doing well.

"Don't bother"

vakmere's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2017

You have to look pretty hard to find a course worse than this one. Totally disheveled and should not be open to the public. They would be better off building apartments here. There is nothing about this course that makes it playable. Potholes on cart paths, Fairways with marshy soil, greens all unkept and the staff could care less. Save your money, find a real course to play on, and good luck trying to find the next hole being that there is no signage to direct you.. Luckily I did not pay to play here, a friend invited me and took care of it. After the 3rd hole I wanted to go home. I left after playing nine holes.