Timberlane Country Club

Carts: Yes - included in green fee

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

When Timberlane County Club opened in 1959, it was the first private golf club on the west bank of the Mississippi. The oaks planted at that time have beautifully matured, adding to both the scenery and difficulty of the golf course. Robert Trent Jones, Sr. designed the course, crafting a challenging test that has been ranked as one of the most difficult golf courses in the country. You'll have to contend with 80 strategically placed sand bunkers and 17 different water hazards. While the course is not overly punishing, you'll have to be prepared to have every aspect of your game tested. Before tackling Timberlane C.C. golf course you may find it helpful to warm up using the club's all-grass driving range and you can use the large putting green to practice with putting, chipping, and sand play.

Location is convenient to the city in the 'burbs   Great for locals advanced golfers seniors   Challenges include bunkers water hazards narrow fairways   Great for drinks

"Horrible greens"

flyingjay's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2019

The greens are literaaly like putting on waste areas. The tees and fairways are decent. Although the local rules are automatic two putts, if you hit a good shot you dont even want to pitt for birdie. It coulb be an above average course but the gteens ruin it.

Commented on 05/17/2019

Hello, thank you for reviewing our course, Rio Rico Golf Club. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your feedback. We are sorry to hear that the course may have not been in the best shape when you played. We value your feedback and will make sure to pass this along to our staff. We hope to see you again in the future.

"Sunny at Timberlane"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/09/2019

Enjoyed another good round at Timberlane G.C. with my golfing partner, Skip. I like Timberlane because it is more challenging than some of the other local New Orleans golf courses. The fact that it was designed by Robert Trent Jones Sr. is also an incentive to play there.

Yesterday was a warm and humid day to play. The tees and fairways were in good shape. The greens appear to be undergoing reseeding for summer play right now and so, are in fair-poor condition, at least for the time being. If you are looking for the "perfect course" right now in the New Orleans area it may be difficult to find. TPC is going to be closed soon for summer reseeding and Joe Bartholomew on the East Bank is undergoing similar issues with their greens. If you want to enjoy a challenging course with good tees and fairways without fussing too much about the greens, then I recommend Timberlane G.C. for you! Plus, if you call the Clubhouse, you may get a cheaper green fee than using an online booking agent.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2019

Commented on 05/03/2019

"Tourists Stay away"

vikesfan1976's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2019

While the locals probably know how bad the greens are on this course, if you are traveling into New Orleans and want to golf you will not want to golf here. I golfed here in February and the greens were just as bad , but in all fairness winter is not the best time and I didn't feel justified in giving the course a poor rating. These greens are by far the worst greens you will ever golf on, it is truly a shame to see what has happened to this beautifully designed rtj senior course. You know things are bad when they have a sign on hole number one saying it as a two-putt course , once you see the greens you will know why. Please do not insult my intelligence with your cut and paste response and just let it go...... kind of like the way you have let this course go.

Commented on 04/30/2019

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review Timberlane Country Club. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give us another try in the near future. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We greatly value your feedback as we work towards any necessary improvements and hope you will notice some of these improvements soon.

"'Here We Go Again'"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2019
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

I returned to Timberlane after a few months layoff due to inclement weather and the preference of my golfing partner to play in New Orleans proper. I was looking forward to playing at Timberlane because it was designed by Robert Trent Jones Sr.

I had a good round. Though some of the rough was water-logged and even contained standing water, the 90 degree rule was in effect which made the wide fairways easier to navigate with the cart. Because play was limited that day I pretty much had the course to myself. Consequently, I could take my time and actually scored one of my best rounds anywhere.

Except for some standing water the course was in vary good shape. One limitation right now is that the greens were aerated and sanded and so the putting game was limited. Presumably, in another week or two the greens will be ready to roll true. Check with the freindly staff before playing to find out if the greens are back to "par."

One of the more pleasant experiences of this round was to discover that green fees were reduced to compensate for the aerated and sanded greens. Unfortunatley, this change did not appear on the Golf Now webiste; and so even though Timberlane chargerd me the reduced rate I had to pay the online booking fee. Lesson leaerned? For the time being, call TImberlane for the green fees price before booking through an online agent.

Overall, I great round!

vprotti's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/14/2019

Commented on 04/16/2019

Hello, Thanks for the review. We see you rated the course 2-star and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take 2- star feedback very serious at our course. Please reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Timberlane Country Club.

"great day"

abrown1944's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/02/2019

great course ! But entering the pro shop from Lapalco blvd terrible !!!!

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/27/2019

Greens were in very poor shape, bare spots on multiple greens. The fairways on the back nine were aerated, so there were plugs all over. Would have been nice to know before heading out.

Commented on 03/28/2019

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience with us at Timberlane Country Club. We are sorry to see that the greens may not have been in the best shape when you played. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we will use it to make the necessary improvements to the course. Our golfers overall experience is extremely valuable to us and we hope that you will give us another chance to show you how we've improved. Thank you for your choosing our course, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Great price"

u2619129's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/08/2019

Great price for the round. Although greens are bumpy, but they are fixing the issue.

"Great Course"

panther70's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/04/2019

Played with my brother. We had a great time. The grass was higher than normal because the course was wet but not the fault of the course management.

"Non-Member? Not really welcome."

thormoody's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/21/2019
First time playing Used cart Wet weather

Let's start with the ridiculous fact that you can not enter the parking lot unless you are a member. I called the pro shop to gain access to their EMPTY parking lot and was told to park under the trees (see photo) and walk in. The woman working the pro shop is borderline rude. She told me they were cart path only, which I acknowledged, then she proceeded to write it on my receipt in big, bold colorful letters (just in case I'm a moron and can't remember). Having started off with a negative impression, I went on to discover this course has the worst greens I have played in quite a while, they haven't cut a new cup in who knows how long, and the fairways play more like rough (see remaining photos). So, if you want to be treated as an outsider, and play horrible course conditions, and you don't mind lugging all your stuff from the dirt/mud in the unpaved areas outside the parking lot, by all means give Timberlane a try!

I won't be back.

Commented on 03/08/2019

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to review our course, Timberlane Country Club. We are sorry to see that you had a poor customer experience with us and that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played. Any additional feedback is greatly appreciated so that we can improve your experience with us in the future. Thank you for choosing to golf with us and we hope to see you again soon.

"Timberlane Golf Course"

ovellscott's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/09/2019
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

I have played at this course several times and each time my experience here has gotten much worse. Most of the times I play are at 4p.m. and kids from high school run the show. They are either eating at the front counter or joking around while you are just trying to check out. As for the range, they have been using the same golf balls for over a year without any rotation. As for the course itself the cart path is terrible making it bumpy the whole afternoon, the greens are rough on just about every hole, and 80% of there bunkers are filled with water. I must say timberlane is the worst course on the west bank of New Orleans. I will not return to this course until I hear from someone else that there has been improvement.

"Bad greens"

rhshy18's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/14/2019

Tee to green good greens horrible. Not worth paying to play

Commented on 05/15/2019

Hello rhshy18, thank you for reviewing our course, Timberlane Country Club. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your feedback. We are sorry to hear that the course wasn't the best when you played. We will make sure to pass this along to our staff in an effort to improve upon your overall experience with us in the future. We hope that you will give us another chance to earn your business again soon.

NickNunez's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/08/2019

"Great Layout, some poor conditions"

Fudderwackin's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/25/2018
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Overall, the course was decent. The proshop staff was a bit rude and they have an odd 30minute check in policy (but you can go to the range or practice before then so it isn't that big of a deal).

Clubhouse was old and needs a renovation, but they shouldn't waste money on that with the condition of some of the greens.

Tee boxes: Overall they are okay, some odd places where it is uneven, but you can find a nice even area.

Fairways: Good, clear fairway and mowed nicely

Rough: Poor grass clippings in rough which makes it difficult to find balls, but I guess you shouldn't be in there anyway :).

Greens: it depends. All of the greens were very receptive to approach shots and chips, and most of them were in okay shape for this time of year (really rainy). But a few of them are dreadful, plenty of blighted areas. ALL GREENS are slow, but it has been raining every day for about a month so I won't judge them for that.

Layout: I loved the layout of the course if you aren't accurate off the tee you are S.O.L. I was 1 over for the 8 holes I hit the fairway, and many over for the rest of the course haha.

Overall: I enjoyed my round and would recommend--if you can find a deal. I wouldn't pay a premium to play here, but if I found another deal I would play again! Course layout is great, conditions are average, but it was a fun round of golf.

"Sehr viel Regen vor der Runde"

frank9705432's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/07/2018

wir hatten zum Glück eine Startzeit am Nachmittag. Der Platz war sehr nass. Fairways und Grüns. Carpad only musste sein, aber die Carpads war an einigen Bahnen in einem schlechten Zustand. Ich denke im trockenem Zustand würde ich einen 1/2 Punkt höher raten.

"A Little Rough But Still Good Enough"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/30/2018

Had enjoyable round at Timberlane today. Rained today so not much play. Booked play through Golf Now for a decent rate. Fairways and greens were in good shape. Insect or fungal damage on a few greens but not enough to inhibit play. Appears greens were sand-treated and balls rolled slower than normal. Despite these inconveniences it still was a good play, especially for the price.

"Needs work"

jakeswaka's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2018

The whole course needs work. The course over booked tee times and the course was in sub par condition with patchy greens and grass clipping buildups all over the fairways.

"DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/02/2018

First of all, the staff is EXTREMELY EXTREMELY by far the rudest people on earth! They act like you are a inconvenience to them and you should be privileged to step foot on this course. They will not let you go to the range, get a cart or do anything until 30 minutes to your tee time. They don’t have any bottle water, they give you a cup with ice and you get water out the faucet. I will not be going back, and the course is nothing special at all to say the least. Spike marks and ball divots are all over the greens, and they are like carpet. Save your money and go somewhere else.

"The Game Remains the Same"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/25/2018
Previously played Used cart Verified Purchaser

Enjoyed another good round at Timberlane. There are still some issues with the length of the roughs and the leftover unmulched grass clippings making it difficult to locate drives and iron shots. I shouldn't be in the rough, right? In any case, the seasonal rains have delayed grass mowing and caused the problem indicated. Otherwise, it was a challenge to play Timberlane and a very good deal. Looking for an above-average course to play? Come to Timberlane!