Ko'olau Golf Club

GPS: No

Practice bunker: Yes

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover, JCB Welcomed

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers a bucket list/top 100 pick   Challenges include forced carries narrow fairways elevation changes   Great for 19th hole scenic views drinks

"Beautiful Setting But Difficult Layout!"

Thomas8153277's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/12/2019
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Course is located in a beautiful setting at the base of the mountains. It was in excellent condition but too difficult for the average golfer. While carts were allowed on the fairways there were too many roped off areas that required a lot of walking. There were also a lot of ravines crossing the fairways, some of which required long shots to traverse. In summary, Beautiful setting but very difficult, especially for seniors.

"Must grind"

kareen's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/07/2019

In my opinion it’s a great course, extremely challenging. Bring you A game stay in the moment but most of all enjoy the course.

"Non-residents could also book at Golf Now."

Jtoriu's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/01/2019

It was a course that non-residents can make reservations with few golf courses in Hawaii.

If you have a handicap of 20 or less, please challenge!

"Beauty at a Cost...But Totally Worth It!"

hemitwo's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/30/2019

Most beautiful course I’ve ever played. Well maintained and masterful layout. Not for the faint of heart. Should be an 18 handicap or better to manage the layout. Humble yourself answer you’ll have a blast!

"Challenging"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/13/2019

Very nice course with a great view on 15. Make sure you go to the top to enjoy the view. Setting is awesome and conditions were great. It is a very difficult course bring extra balls!

"Bring lots of balls"

delaney0's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2019

The staff were awesome. I was late for my tee off time because the highway was closed, so they fit me in when I finally arrived. Very friendly staff. The course was in good shape but not so friendly. Not a course for beginners. It is extremely difficult. There are lots of hills, turns, ravines, deep bunkers, etc. Bring lots of balls. As nice as the course is, it is not worth the visitor rate of $165 USD.

"Great Layout - Marginal Shape"

rickhar29's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/19/2019

The course layout and location is excellent. The overall condition of the course is just average. The greens are spotty and very bumpy, essentially 2 putt greens because it is as much luck and skill to make a putt. It seems obvious that the best days of this course are behind it.

Commented on 03/22/2019

Hi Rick, We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Ko'olau Golf Club, we hope to see you again in the future.

"Overpriced"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/02/2019

At this price the course should be better manicured and cared for. Very few players but alot of it may be that it’s too wet which may be a bad string of weather

Very tough course, hit the fairway or lost ball.

Greens in poor shape which is maintenance issue, should be rolled.

Sand traps are more hard pack than sand.

Overall course adequate for say $60 but 180 is too much for conditions

Commented on 03/15/2019

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to review us, Ko'olau Golf Club, and for the 3 stars. We're sorry to hear the course may not have been in the best shape on the day of your round, and we appreciate your feedback regarding the greens and sand traps so we may work on any necessary improvements. Thank you for choosing to golf with us, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

brianbart17's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/22/2019

Commented on 02/26/2019

Hello, and thank you for reviewing our course, Ko'olau Golf Club. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your feedback. We are sorry to see that the course did not meet your expectations on the day of your round. We will make sure to pass this along to our staff. We hope to see you again in the future.

"Hasn’t see herbicide in years..."

gwnelson1962's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/14/2019

Weeds throughout rough and fairways. Greens had weeks hand plucked leaving numerous bare spots. All cart paths above fairway and fairways were slippery mud holes. Course layout interesting in places and downright befuddling in others. For $125 a person this was robbery. I’ve played muni’s with better grass.

Course Layout: Poor

Commented on 03/08/2019

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience with us at Ko'olau Golf Club. We are sorry to see that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we will use it to make the necessary improvements to the course. Our golfers' overall experience is extremely valuable to us and we hope that you will give us another chance to show you how we've improved. Thank you for your choosing our course, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Needs work"

777mct's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/11/2019

Played this course some 15 years ago when it really was great. It's still the same beautiful layout but because the location is so close to the mountains the fairways don't get a chance to dry out - at least in the winter. It was cart path only on the back 9 and some of the holes were unplayable. Many plugged and lost balls in the fairway. The staff were great and you could see they were trying their best but the drainage needs $$$. The greens were poor as well. For some reason the traps were beautifully maintained. The weather was good for us that day but there had been several rainfalls recently. Maybe the course would be ok in the summer but not worth the huge ask ($240).

Why do Hawaiian golf courses think the visitors should pay premium prices for average or less tracks? Their resident"s fees are more than reasonable. I know that avid mainland golfers would play a lot more if they could keep the fees down around the $100 mark. Just sayin'.

Commented on 01/15/2019

Hello 777mct, and thank you for taking the time to review our course, Ko'olau Golf Club. We appreciate your dedication to playing our course over the years but are very sorry to hear your recent experience with us may have been poor due to the weather conditions and their impact on the course. We greatly value your feedback as we work towards any necessary improvements, and hope you will notice some of these improvements during your next round with us. Thank you for choosing our course, and we hope to see you again soon.

"Greatviews"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/13/2019

I got to course a bit sooner than my t time and enjoyed a spam and egg sandwich. Yummy. Then got a bucket of balls for 8.00 for 60 golf balls. Wow what a deal.. a very nice man named Nic checked me in for golf. The draw back of range was Matt's only. I hit forged irons. Never on Matt. Head to first tee and wow is all I can say. The view is one of God's best designs. The trade wind was dead in our face on first shot. From tee to green it was not bad. Greens were full of grass but very slow. Slow for my liking. I like near 10 or 11 on stemp. As you play here you will see majestic views and have to hit very demanding shots. Miss the landing area and you may be over a cliff. .. par threes are long and easy to hit onto. I'd play again no problem.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2019

"Disappointing condition of course"

jturco's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2019

I have played 10 rounds at ko’olau. Over the past 10 years. Five years ago the course had decent fairways and greens. Today’s round was disappointing due to poor “furry” greens and terrible fairways. It is now a good Muni but it has lost its world class status. The layout is spectacular and holes very challenging but for a visitor the value is not there at $160 per round. As usual I lost many balls but the lack of a good roll on the greens is new.

Commented on 04/08/2019

Hello, thank you for reviewing our course, Ko'olau Golf Club. We are always striving to provide the best possible customer experience to our golfers, and apologize if we missed the mark. Your loyalty to our course is valued and we hope you will see improvements the next time you are with us. Thank you for choosing to play our course, we hope to earn your business again soon.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/15/2019

Commented on 03/18/2019

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Ko'olau Golf Club, and for the 3 stars. We hope that you enjoyed playing our golf course and that you will see improvements in the course conditions the next time you are with us. It looks like you had a smooth round and a friendly experience with us, so we are glad to see that. Thank you for recommending our golf course, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Disappointed"

avisnorthshore's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/25/2018

Normally when I play this course it’s in great shape although I do understand with the amount of rain they’ve gotten it’s tough but fairways not mowed some of the rough is over shin high ithey definitely shouldn’t be charging full price right now hopefully they get it together soon

"Koolau Golf Club Review"

jjalaba's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/23/2018

Beautiful course, very scenic. But the course was soaking wet with very deep and thick grass in the fairways. Several balls plugged deep in the fairway and several were in the fairway but lost. Distance markers were nearly impossible to find as the grass had them deeply buried. Great views but not a great place to play. l

Commented on 11/26/2018

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Ko'olau Golf Club. We appreciate your dedication to playing our course but are very sorry to hear that your recent experience with us was poor due to the conditions of the course. We greatly value your feedback and will continue to make the necessary improvements to your overall experience with us. We hope that you would give us another chance to improve upon the course and hope that you will notice some of these improvements during your next round with us. Thank you for choosing our course, and we hope to see you again soon.

"the Back 9 hole is not playable!"

U000006138161's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/16/2018

Beautiful course, very friendly staff! Even with hot deal $80 is athe way to expensive for just able to play first 9 holes. Back 9 holes is not playable! There is no fairway, only long grass everywhere! It is impossible to find a ball even the ball is on the fairway!

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 11/19/2018:

Hello, on behalf of Ko'olau Golf Club staff we appreciate you taking the time to address your concerns as we are always looking to improve. We are disappointed to hear that you were not happy with the conditions of the course but still hope you enjoyed your round. Again, we appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again soon.

"Too wet to play"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/06/2018

The course was is terrible shape, too wet to allow golfers to play let alone spend $125 for a round. On many of the fairways, none mowed, you would spin out of your footing when you swung. Don’t play this course until it dries out. The two players I played with quit after 8 holes it was so bad. The grass off the fairways was 6 to8 inches tall and it toke forever to find your ball. Greens were in very poor shape also.

Response from Ko'olau Golf Club on 11/08/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Ko'olau Golf Club, in the Kaneohe, Oahu area. We are sorry to see that you may have had a poor customer experience with us and that the course may not have been in the best shape when you played. Any additional feedback is greatly appreciated so that we can improve your experience with us in the future. Thank you for choosing to golf with us and we hope to see you again soon.

"Ko Olau 2018"

chvaughn's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/29/2018

The surrounding beauty of this course makes it worthwhile even though the course conditions were less than ideal. Recent rains resulted in cart paths only, fairways that hadn't been mowed in quite some time, and soggy conditions in some areas, but the course was still playable.