Valley at Oxmoor Valley Golf Course

Carts: Yes - $20

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Proper golf attire required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Accepted

Purple 72 7167 yards 74.9 146
Orange 72 6588 yards 72.1 139
Orange (W) 72 6588 yards 78.8 145
Silver 72 5561 yards 66.6 119
Silver (W) 72 5561 yards 71.9 131
Teal 72 4924 yards 64.0 113
Teal (W) 72 4924 yards 68.6 119

Location is convenient to the city in the 'burbs worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers playing multiple courses group getaways   Challenges include elevation changes forced carries bunkers   Great for drinks

"Nice but not nice enough."

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2019

Guys at the bag drop A+. Young lady at front dest not so much. D. Starter A+. Course in great shape but I didn’t quite like the layout. I didn’t play my best, and I wasn’t feeling well. I played 15 holes and left because I felt terrible, but given the chance I probably wouldn’t care about playing the last three. Many people may like playing this course, I didn’t. Sorry.

Course Layout: Poor

"Not up to par with other RTJ courses"

Rstleger's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/27/2019

$100 to play and they hit you for an additional $3-5 for range balls. Come on! When you pay $100 to play golf you should get range balls. Course shape was average...greens and fairways were nice but the areas surrounding the greens were not in great shape. Greens are very tricked up with huge amounts of undulation. On 18 of the Valley my partner had a 15 foot uphill putt….he got it all the way to the hole and it rolled back at him. Stupid! On two other occasions playing partners putted the ball past the hole where it continued to roll off the green and down the hill about 40 yards into long rough. Every single green was like putting on a roller coaster...and 2 putting from outside 15 feet was a huge challenge.

It was a beautiful sunny day and the parking lot was full of cars yet I saw the beverage cart one time. When I asked the ranger about it he said he would see what he could do...but nothing happened.

Big beautiful clubhouse but very limited in the restaurant/bar department. They close the kitchen at 4pm!!!! I guess they don't like people coming in after a round to have some drinks and eat a meal. Some of the players in my group did not get done before 4pm and as a result all 8 people in my group left and went to drink and eat somewhere else. The bartender (who said she was a manager) was very unfriendly and even a bit confrontational when we were puzzled as to why the kitchen would be closed. They probably lost at least $2-300 dollars from our group alone by closing the kitchen at 4pm..

I have played Ross Bridge as well as all 3 courses at Capitol Hill and loved them. This one was below par for the trail and I would not go back.

"Challenging course with wind and hills"

TimBuhrt's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/19/2019
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

On spring break golf vacation with my son. Beautiful course and nice individuals providing quality service. Biggest difficulty was the significant change in elevations and wind. Fairways and greens were nice, rough and areas around the green were in spring season condition. Overall, tough course to play after winter layoff.

"Bring a fore caddie"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/15/2019

I was very disappointed in this course as I've played othe rtj s courses that I loved.

Where to start

The lady checking me and in was not trained and couldn't answer simple questions

The starter didn't let me tee off at my tee time because the players they paired me with didn't show up.

As a result he let 5 foursomes who already played 18 go out in front of me and made me follow them for a 5 hour round.

The course was wide open at my tee time.

Bad course management.

The course is extremely difficult with many blind shots and lots of slopes,traps ,water,woods etc,therefore a gore caddie is needed. Otherwise you will lose lots of balls.

The course does not drain well with lots of wet areas( I was lucky to get 5 inches of roll on my drives which made it impossible for me to reach any greens in regulation)

There was not one friendly hole on the course and it is really designed for scratch golfers. Everyone else will find extreme trouble on every hole.

Cart to tee box and cart to green is a long way and hilly.

It is not for a player who cannot climb hills or you will never finish 18 holes.

Green are well protected so a perfect shot is required to reach the green.

An example is a 140 yard approach shot i hit at the flag which checked up,stopped and rolled left as the green sloped and went down off the green into a 30 foot ravine.

That is the type of frustration the course holds and I won't be back.

Wasn't a fun day.

"Wet course"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/02/2019

The short course but it was very wet and slippery walking.

"Keeps me coming back"

Mike5628996's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/01/2019

I play this whenever I’m visiting my daughter in BHM. Challenging, peaceful and lightening fast greens. Grady- the starter is great. Clubhouse staff is very friendly and accommodating. I wish I played slower because the setting is beautiful. Can’t wait to come back and play again.

"to much money"

sjschmidt's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/26/2018
First time playing Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

I did not care a whole lot for this course. I think it is over priced.It shouldn't be more than maybe $40. I guess your paying for the name Robert Trent Jones.I wont play that course again. It is not worth the 5 and a half hr drive.

"Ridge being renovated"

BrandonWebb's avatar
Birmingham Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/03/2018

The Ridge course is undergoing a minor facelift, resulting in a few cosmetic upgrades.

There is a ton of sod being layed throughout the course, mostly around greens and bunkers.

As for the bunkers, many are being overhauled through the course, rendering many GUR.

There are some cart path repairs as well, which were due.

The greens were still recovering from recent aeration, but weren’t bad - just slower than you would expect for these fall temps and bentgrass this time of year.

There is also some extensive tree removal being undertaken.

I would give this course a month and it should be back to somewhat normal playing conditions. Valley course may be a better option in the short term.

"Below Expectations"

Bluelewis's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/31/2018

Course conditions were certainly no pristine - lots of rough spots and areas that need work. After playing Highland Oaks on Dothan (excellent) we were disappointed with the condotions and pace of play here.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/20/2018
First time playing Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

"Not Ross Bridge"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/16/2018

Hoping for more outstanding golf and was disappointed. Oxmoor Valley does not compare to Ross Bridge in every category.

"Ridge - Pretty Fantastic"

clayjok's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/11/2018

Another gem in Birmingham. The Ridge greens are very, very nice. Dramatic elevation changes and blind shots. My brother and I loved this course. Several holes will jump up and bite you if you're not careful. We would definitely play here again!!!!

"Valley Course - Very Nice"

clayjok's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/09/2018

My brother and I played 54 holes at the Valley Course. Great course!! Dramatic elevation changes and blind shots. On the day we played, the bunkers were not great. Very fluffy. There were several instances where we hit a ball into the face of the bunker and it either stuck into the face or buried completely in the sand. Also, no GPS in the carts and the pro shop doesn't sell yardage books. Overall, it's an awesome course.

"Great layout, fun course"

Keith45's avatar
Tennessee Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/01/2018
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

The course layout is tremendous and fun -- lots of unique holes to make for an interesting and never boring round of golf. The course was in excellent condition, especially considering the recent dry heat. Seemed like people left a lot of pitch marks on the greens, but generally everything was well maintained.

Some members of the staff were very friendly; I even had a ranger drive a scorecard out to me on the 7th hole. Sadly, this was only necessary because the starter wasn't one the first tee as I was told he/she would be. Also some staff in the clubhouse and at the cart return were not very friendly.

I paid the twilight rate and would HIGHLY recommend this course at that price. If I didn't live three hours away, I would play here very regularly. As a weekend warrior, I RARELY pay the full rate of $80 to play golf anywhere, let alone somewhere I can wait a few hours to play for half the price.

"Valley has cured grassing issue"

BrandonWebb's avatar
Birmingham Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

This review is for the Valley course.

Course has responded well from a year ago. Grass has grown back in throughout and conditions were excellent.

Greens are firm but will hold a properly struck shot.

Bunkers still have a little too much sand in them for my liking.

"Great Short Course"

CharlieM62's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/14/2018
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

A car issue forced me to miss my tee time on the Valley course. So I played the short course twice, from the tips and forward tees. Challenging, beautiful elevation changes, greens pretty large yet still require a accurate tee shot for a birdie. Only reason the pace gets 4 stars is my first round it was packed. Another great RTJ Trail value!

"Great Shape"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2018

The course was in excellent condition and the pace of play was fast.

"Keeps Me Coming Back"

cmo2944's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/19/2018

I have played this course many times since I live close by. It is one of my favorite Robert Trent Jones courses. The course is always in good shape no matter what time of year and the pace of play is almost always 4 hours.

"RTJ Oxmoor Valley (Valley) - Fun, Fair Sibling to Ridge"

btweed1683's avatar
Chicago Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/04/2018

The Good: The Valley course at RTJ Oxmoor Valley is a nice change of pace to the tough, rugged Ridge course. Starting off with a huge downhill tee shot to a wide fairway, golfers can take a deep breath and enjoy the scenery. Good variety of dogleg Par 4's and some great Par 5's, especially on the closing nine. Nice clubhouse supports all 54 holes and includes a dining area and large pro shop. Good practice facility, especially the amphitheater driving range that is a glimmer of what's to come. Really good value with rates under $80 during peak season.

The Bad: Green complexes could be in better shape. Par 3's are forgettable. Carts lack GPS. The clubhouse restaurant closes in the afternoon and doesn't serve dinner. Our golf trip group found this to be a glaring inconvenience.

The Verdict: While not as interesting a design as the Ridge, The Valley course is a more relaxing, fair test of golf for all skill levels. A great "second day" course for those partaking in a golf marathon.

Best Hole: The short Par 5 12th is a great hole that requires a drive over water. Depending on how much of the dogleg is chewed, a "go for broke" approach must avoid water again!

"RTJ Oxmoor Valley (Ridge) - Best Course of the 54 Hole Complex"

btweed1683's avatar
Chicago Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/04/2018

The Good: Oxmoor Valley is one of the first RTJ sites, built around a former US Steel mining area and you can sense the "quarry" feel on the Ridge course. Significant elevation changes and rugged terrain is the course's trademarks, with severely sloped fairways and extreme green undulation. Good course conditions and slick greens. Fun variety of Par 4's, one excellent Par 5 in particular, and a good group of Par 3's. Nice clubhouse supports all 54 holes and includes a dining area and large pro shop. Good practice facility, especially the amphitheater driving range that is a glimmer of what's to come. One of the better value courses I've played in a long time with rates under $80 during peak season.

The Bad: Green complexes could be in better shape. Carts lack GPS and the yardage markers are lacking. The course rarely has an even lie which can be difficult for the high handicapper. The clubhouse restaurant closes in the afternoon and doesn't serve dinner. Our golf trip group found this to be a glaring inconvenience.

The Verdict: The Ridge is the strongest of the two regulation courses at Oxmoor Valley and a unique golf course in the Birmingham area. Fun, very challenging and favors the fade!

Best Hole: The Par 5 3rd is the most demanding hole on the course and is the best of the 54 holes at the Oxmoor Valley complex. Requires three great shots and an approach to a green atop a huge rock cropping.