The Bluffs on Thompson Creek

• (225) 634-5757, (225) 634-6400
  • www.thebluffs.com
Write Review

Year built: 1988
Architect(s): Arnold Palmer (1988), Ed Seay (1988), Nathan Crace (2006)
Type: Resort
Greens: Bermuda Grass
Fairways: Bermuda Grass

GPS: No

Dress code: Proper golf attire required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Green (W) 72 5758 yards 74.2 126
Silver 72 4762 yards 64.0 111

The Bluffs on Thompson Creek enjoys a beautiful setting tucked away amid mature hardwood forests. Creeks freely meander throughout the golf course, interconnecting with the sparkling ponds that can be found throughout. The layout is an Arnold Palmer design that takes advantage of the hills, bluffs, and hollows of the varied landscape. You face uneven lies and a few blind shots thanks to the terrain but you'll also get scenic views of the surrounding area. Accuracy is important to have but it's not an overly punishing layout if you happen to be errant. The golf course has a challenging start with an uphill par 3 as the opening hole. Another memorable hole is the par-3 eighth, which features a 50-foot drop to the fairway below. It's both an intimidating and beautiful hole.

Location is worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views a weekend splurge   Challenges include elevation changes bunkers water hazards   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views brunch

"Poor Greens"

Robertsc's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2019

While the course layout is great and the off course extras are very nice the greens were in poor condition. Most of the greens had large dead area, no grass at all.

"Disappointed"

mumble01's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2019
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

It pains me to write this review. I was living in St. Francisville when the course opened and have played it countless times. It was always a favorite and I have come back often from out of state to play it and have recommended it countless times. But the condition of the course was awful. There was no grass on most of the greens and what grass there was was spotty. The fairways were burned. There was a constant gnat swarm for 18 holes. I hope someone takes over and restores this course. I came 5 hours to be very disappointed in the conditions.

Commented on 06/03/2019

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review The Bluffs Golf & Sports Resort. We appreciate your dedication to playing our course over the years but are very sorry to hear your recent experience with us may have been poor due to the course conditions. We greatly value your feedback as we work towards any necessary improvements, and hope you will notice some of these improvements during your next round with us. Thank you for choosing our course, and we hope to see you again soon.

"First Time; Upsetting"

williamtemplet's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2019

Very upset with the conditions, wish I would have been told the greens were under construction and being fixed. Did not want my first time at this course to be like that for as much money as we paid. Just had very high hopes because of all the talk around this course. And I was let down some of the bunkers didn’t even look like sand and just overgrown. And it hasn’t rained in over week no excuse for the way the course looked this morning. Will be a while before I go back and will wait for a report to see if everything is back to how Everyone says it’s supposed to be because all I have heard is how beautiful and awesome this course is supposed to be.

Commented on 05/28/2019

Hello William. Thank you for taking the time to review The Bluffs Golf & Sports Resort and rate us. We are going to pass along your feedback to the staff so they can work to improve to the quality we are known for. Thanks for visiting us!

"Great Course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2019

With the changing ownership of the Bluffs it just needs a little love.... The course was great and I feel the staff is doing what needs to be done to bring the Bluffs back to its glory days! My favorite course around the Baton Rouge area. The greens were fine and you can’t find the awesome hilly terrain many other places. Thumbs up !

"Nice Course"

Muraliteetimes's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2019

The fairways were not in good shape but the greens were,

"Course is coming but....."

SGarcia2's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/19/2019

This golf course is starting to come around as the greens were much better than the last time I played it 3 months ago. However the Food and Beverage offerings that use to be wonderful are non existent. The pro shop staff is in need of training as well.

"Impacted by rain"

Robertsc's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/12/2019

I was pleasantly surprised by the condition of the course despite the overnight rain. The course was cart path only and most sand traps had some standing water as well as on some fairway areas but the greens were in pretty good shape and true. Cart paths are a little rough but that is a result of tree roots and the trees are important to the layout of the course. The rolling hills, ravines and water hazards make for a challenging yet rewarding experience. Except for the lack of balls at the driving range everything was good.

"bunkers lacking"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/09/2019

bunkers need alot of attention, we just didnt evenplay out of them because of lack of sand and so many rocks. greens rolled good, fairways were nice, would play again but play out of bunkers. this is a $38- 45.00 course unless bunkers are addressed then maybe 45-55 dollars on weekend, jmo

Commented on 02/12/2019

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to review us, The Bluffs on Thompson Creek, and for the 3 stars. We're sorry to hear the bunkers may not have been in the best shape on the day of your round, and we appreciate your feedback regarding them so we may work on any necessary improvements. However, we're glad you received a good value for your round and felt that other parts of the course, such as the greens and fairways, were in good condition. Thank you for choosing to golf with us, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Not worth the money"

james2188's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/19/2018

Flyers from the fairway. Bunkers unplayable. Greens uncut and slow. This was a fundraiser tournament and it was horrible. Love the layout, but you have to maintain the course. Now a par 71 instead of par 72 because of flood waters from Thompson Creek. Course was in terrible condition. I won’t go back until I hear the conditions have improved. They’re charging too much for the conditions on the course. BREC maintains they’re courses better. For those who don’t know, those are public courses in Baton Rouge, La.

"This is great, but..........."

ReadyGolfer123's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/14/2018

Overall, the Bluffs is one of my favorite courses, but I continue to express my frustration with the condition of the bunkers. Some have sand with rocks, others have no sand. I'm not sure if there is a shortage on sand or if they're getting sand from nearby Thompson's Creek, which would explain the rocks I guess. Hole #2 has been shorten to a par 4, but we were not informed of this at check in and the scorecard still shows par 5. It's not a round ender, but we would have played the hole differently.

Response from The Bluffs on Thompson Creek on 10/16/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to review your experience with us, we truly appreciate your feedback and will certainly pass it along to our team. We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back to the 5-star experience that you deserve.

"great course"

u9120301's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/09/2018

Perfect day for me to play, pace was great,

course was in excellent shape and staff was

helpful and extremely pleasant. Partner and I

played a replay round.

mccraney1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/06/2018

"Great course - bunkers not maintained"

jayjud's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/19/2018
Used cart Hot weather

Course layout is great - very challenging. Condition of greens was very good, and fairway conditions were good. However, bunkers were in very poor condition with virtually no sand. My understanding is that these have been improved since we played - but it was disappointing to see such a great layout that was not being maintained on all facets. Also, the #2 hole was converted from par 5 to par 4, but distance markers, etc.. not changed to provide proper distances.

"Wish the greens were faster"

rsande2's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/20/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

The fairways were dry and thus we rolled through several. But it would have been nice if the greens were faster. They were green but very slow.

"Close enough to Baton Rouge"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/19/2018

The course was under repair for a few of the holes. The grass is almost over it’s winter season. A really fun and challenging course. Will definitely play this course again!

jamboul's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/17/2018

"The course still isn't where it was years ago."

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/28/2018

Overall the course is in decent shape. The tee boxes were surprisingly not well taken care of and the par 5 4th hole was cut in half and had a temporary green. Maintenance has to take place at times but there was no mention of this from GolfNow or from the clubhouse. That was disappointing.

"Lots of Potential"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/01/2018

We played around 9am, cloudy skies, temp about 60 degrees. This course has suffered ftom heavy rains and flooding on several holes over the past year. The good part: greens in good condition, smooth and fast. The not so good part: fairways splotches and inconsistent. Sand traps are abysmal...full of water & leaves, unplayable. The staff is friendly and helpful. The food in the grill is always good as is the service.

If you can get a good deal on tee times, you will like the layout. It's a tough course with lots of potential, but not in good shape.

"Staff Omitted Vital Information"

kthompson831's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/05/2018
First time playing Used cart Cold weather

What a great piece of land for a golf course. Problem is they forgot to tell us that even though they were charging full price two of the holes were not available to play. On top of that the vast majority of the greens were in very bad shape with huge areas of grass missing or recently sodded over. The fairways were extremely sandy and several of the holes also had damage from what appeared to be flooding. This club realistically is $20-25 club in its current condition.

"bad greens"

rsande2's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/01/2017

No one warned us or told us that holes 2 and three were in playable. Paying full price for that was disappointing and considering the weather for the last three to 4 weeks the greens were poor. Large patches of no grass and where there was grass on the greens it was un-cut and hairy.