Grey Rock Golf Club

Golf school / academy: Yes - "Grey Rock Golf Academy"

Dress code: Appropriate golf attire.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Discover

Location is convenient to the city in the 'burbs worth the drive   Great for locals advanced golfers entertaining clients   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens water hazards   Great for drinks patio dining brunch

"Horrible Greens"

BWinTX's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/20/2019

Never seen greens so bad. I saw reviews from a few weeks ago about greens recently being sanded. Called course a couple days before playing and the pro shop guy told me he just played, front 9 were a little spotty and back 9 were perfect. Upon arriving, pro shop said he was giving me a discount from $85 to $70, sweet!. He didn't explain why. Putting green was in awesome shape and had similar expectations for course greens. At first tee, the starter mentioned the front 9 greens were spotty, back in great shape. Well...they are all horrible. Heavily sanded, many bare spots.

Tees and fairways were in great shape. Liked the course layout. Would love to play again after the greens come in.

My guess is someone made a horrible mistake and chemically burned them. Course claimed frost but I dont by that. I live in the area and all our other courses are fine.

"Nice Day on the course!"

u692045039's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/15/2019

Staff was very friendly and helpful, facilities are nice, the practice area while well appointed had been over used. The tee boxes and fairways were in very good condition. I would have given more stars for course conditions but the GREENS need help. Hold 8 had lost the green almost totally. We did enjoy our round even so and would play this course again .

"what about the greens?!"

kscopes's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2019
Previously played Perfect weather Verified Purchaser

I have played this course on and off for 25 years. It's a great layout and the conditions are superb.....except for the greens. The greens are the slowest that can be imagined.

Not sure what's going on here, but just wish that a course of this caliber would have better greens.

I am sure they will remedy this.....hopefully soon!

"Horrible greens, rest of the course in great shape"

atxg0lf3r's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/09/2019

Haven't played this course since Dec which the greens were in good shape. Decided to play here again due to cheap hot deal and now i know why the deal was cheap. Greens were a joke, felt like they just buzzed a circle of grass in the fairway and stuck a pin in the ground, called it a green. Basically no grass on the greens, super bumpy and sandy, felt like i was playing the greens on the 9 hole course downtown off Barton Springs.

Rest of the course in excellent shape, just the greens were a big let down. I'm guessing they will be closing the course soon to redo the greens or i hope they do.

Flipflop70's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/06/2019
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

"Grey Rock"

sweishuhn2004's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2019

Thank goodness for Golf Now and a GN coupon I just so happened to find. We have had a ton of rain in Austin over the last several months and the greens were in horrible condition (very slow, multiple dead spots, etc...). On several occasions I had to move my ball 5 to 10 feet on the green just to get a putt that would roll decent. Again, there were dead patches everywhere. The fairways, roughs and bunkers were very well maintained. If you are able to get get a round under $50, I would recommend this course, but if you have to pay $80 (typical weekend round) save your money and go elsewhere.

leecombs2906's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2019

Several of the greens are in poor shape but the rest of the course was in good shape. The service at the snack bar is ridiculously slow making it almost impossible to get anything to eat at the turn and maintain pace of play.

I’ve always liked Greyrock but they need to step up the service

"Grey Rock Memorial Day"

chrissz's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/25/2019
Previously played Walked Windy weather Verified Purchaser

tee to green the course is in excellent shape, the greens are less than acceptable, appears they have have some challenges there, very slow and bumpy, really takes away from an otherwise terrific course.

"Bad Greens"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2019

Was shocked at how bad the greens are on this course. Very slow and sandy. I played there about a year ago and the greens were fine but they are awful. Puzzling considering all the rain we have had the last 8 months.

jklspdlldlfmm's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/15/2019

"Not as bad as everyone thinks it is"

jl12's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/10/2019
First time playing Used cart Cold weather Verified Purchaser

Before going to play at Grey Rock, I read all of the terrible reviews about how bad the greens are right now.

Yes, some of the greens are in pretty bad shape, but THEY ARE NOT THAT BAD. That being said - they should not be charging people full price range to play here right now ($50-80/person).

I get the frustration if you paid >$50/person & didn't know the condition of course or if you are going out there expecting to shoot a 71, but that's no the case for most golfers. I read the reviews, but have been wanting to play at Grey Rock for awhile now - so I waited till we could get a really good "deal" time ($22/person).Thought it was well worth that price.

Greens were a little frustrating at times, but to be honest I'd probably still 2 putt even if the greens were in perfect condition. The rest of the course was in great condition especially after all of the rain we have had recently.

You wanna see bad/unplayable greens... go play Olde Oaks Golf Course in Bossier City, LA & then come try to complain about the greens at Grey Rock.

"Greens completely destroyed!"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2019

I played at Grey Rock yesterday and I was really excited after all the good stuff I heard. However, the greens are completely destroyed! I don't know what happened, but they are unplayable. According to one of the members, this never happened before, so I guess I just had bad timing.

I moved to Austin last August and have so far played roughly 15-20 courses, this was one of the most expansive ones. I was shocked, and quite frankly angry that I paid for an upscale experience and got the BY FAR worst greens I have seen around Austin.

DO NOT play here within the next 1.5 month, there is no way those greens will recover earlier than that.

"Poor Greens"

mrklemm9's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2019

The rest of the course was in pretty decent condition, but the greens were long (did have heavy rains a couple days before) and there were at least 6 greens that weren't playable due to some sort of damage that they have not recovered from.

"Poor Green Conditions"

uBQKB1394BQ's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2019

Very enjoyable course. Courteous staff. Greens were in very bad condition. The worst was the par three number eight. Hopefully they can get these conditions reversed. Otherwise great course.

"Sad greens"

cooldude55's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2019

Tee boxes and faiirways were excellent as well a bunkers. But the greens were utter crap. Most of them were mainly sand and very little grass. This is so bad that I don't expect them to have reasonable greens all this season. Only a handful of greens were at least decent to putt on.

"Don’t waste your time."

Coltarm45's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2019

Never a person to write bad reviews but with the green fees they are charging it’s unbelievable. The greens are absolutely atrocious. Maybe if I didn’t damage my putter due to all the sand and potholes I wouldn’t have said anything. The city needs to re-evaluate what’s going out there. Such a beautiful course to have greens this bad. Hopefully they can figure it out.

"Greens under repair"

tnatoli's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2019

Greens have not been maintained. Hopefully they will be repaired before next year. Shame - fairways are good- more sand than green on the greens.

Very disappointing.

"Greens"

jakety2302's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2019

It’s hard to believe that the course is charging players full price when most, if not all, of the greens have been lost. It’s like putting through sand traps. An absolute joke that the course charged full weekend price. Should’ve been at least half price. I’ve played the course two other time and the greens were good. Never going back.

"Nice layout. Horrible greens"

ddeleff's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2019

I picked this course because it looked beautiful online and it was. I would say the greens were in bad shape but calling them "green" would be misleading. They are mostly devoid of grass and have some sort of green chemical on them. I'll be washing all of my clubs as soon as I get home. If the greens weren't such a disappointment i would be giving it four stars and highly recommending it to others. Our twosome finished in just under three hours.

"WORST GREENS IN TEXAS"

gjrocket9's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2019

This title is not hyperbole. There is NOTHING WORSE then paying a good deal of money, $75 in this case, and having the greens be UNPLAYABLE. The worst part is the Starter, the Golf Shop Folks, literally no one gave anyone playing a head's up. The season pass holders at the course advised us to complain, saying "Yep, there are absolutely horrible" as we made the turn, but who wants to deal with that? Every single green was horribly diseased and covered with with sand/fertilizer. Shame on this course for not communicating to golfers and charging such an obscene price for a terrible experience.

"Greens need time to grow in"

BWinTX's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/20/2019

Greens are horrible, many bare spots and heavily sanded. Tees and fairways in great shape.

I saw a review from a few weeks ago that mentioned the greens and I called a couple days before playing and was told the front was spotty & sanded on Tuesday, back was in good shape. Upon arrival, our fees were dropped from $85 to $70 as a discount, didn't say why. Great news to me as I was hosting guests and covered fees for 4.

Putting green was in great shape so I was hopeful. At first tee, the starter mentioned the front 9 was sanded and the back was in good shape. Well..... all the greens were horrible.

Liked everything else about the course. Would play again but not until greens are confirmed. Based on what I saw, it will be 4-6 weeks minimum to be reasonable.