The Senator Course at Shula's Golf Club

• 7601 Miami Lakes Dr, Miami Lakes, Florida 33014
  • www.shulasgolfclub.com
Write Review

Year built: 1962
Architect(s): Bill Watts (1962), Kipp Schulties (1998)
Type: Resort

Dress code: Appropriate golf attire.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Gold/White 72 5877 yards 68.0 112
Gold/White (W) 72 5877 yards 73.4 126
Green (W) 72 4985 yards 68.1 117

The 18-hole championship course at Don Shula's Golf Club is one of those courses that just seems to get better as you play your way around.

The first few holes are fairly open and not overly difficult. However, things start to get more difficult as you continue. By the time you make it to the 11th green, you'll know that you're in for a real dogfight. The fairways on the back get tight and there's water on just about every hole. All in all, it's a very enjoyable course from start to finish.

There are tennis courts, multiplex, fitness center etc. There’s something for everyone. The hotel's onsite amenities include upscale dining at the Original Shula's Steak House and casual dinning at the Bull Pen, which serves breakfast lunch and light dinner until 7pm.

Location is convenient to the city near the airport worth the drive   Great for locals advanced golfers entertaining clients   Challenges include water hazards bunkers undulating greens   Great for drinks amazing food brunch

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/19/2019

"Predictably decent"

Woody421's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2019

As always this course is a great middle of the road course.

Greens are decent but not great, and the fairways are well kept with a very fair layout.

Mornings are best, as pace of play really grinds out to 5 hrs if you’re off betwee 11 and 1400.

"A Pleasant Escape at The Don"

lannertcito's avatar
Age:  Under 25

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/15/2019

With the threat of rain that never happened, this pleasant track with a challenging, water-surrounded back 9 was nearly empty as I motored through a thoroughly enjoyable solo round played under a mercifully cloudy sky and on a course that was in nearly perfect condition. The fairways and tee boxes were full and the greens - though a bit pocked in spots - rolled true, albeit a pinch slowly. The bunkers were a bit firm, thanks to daily downpours in recent days. The staff was friendly, but the cart attendant had disappeared by the time I finished my round. The The flip side of an empty course was no beverage cart service and the snack bar was closed. As with many courses in South Florida, there was no GPS. Not a bad deal for $30.

Carloscadet's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/03/2019

"5:32 AM CONFIRMATION VIA E-MAIL YET COURSE UNAVAILE TO PLAY."

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/03/2019
First time playing Used cart Verified Purchaser

Let me start by saying this review is not about the golf course condition or the playability of the course. I am going to give a poor rating because I believe the course as well as the booking company had some obligation to inform us the course was unplayable that morning considering I was sent a confirmation notice at 5 :32 am via e-mail. We were a group of 4 staying in Miami beach from Toronto. We had set aside this morning to get up early skip our included buffet breakfast at the Palms and drive over 30 minutes for a 7:30 tee off at Don Shulas as one of our 4some was a huge Dolfins fan. When we arrived we were advised the course was closed due to heavy rain and would only open at noon for a tournament. We let them know we would be happy to play only the holes that were playable as we could not book any where else at that time in the morning and had travelled a long distance. The response was if we let you on then someone else will want to play too. What a waste of a vacation morning.

Stingfan01,

Thank you for your review of Shula's Golf Club. We are sorry to hear that you were unable to play the golf course. The weather in South Florida can be very unpredictable. Overnight rains forced us to close the course until 12pm. We were unaware of the course conditions until golf course maintenance staff first inspected the course at daybreak approx 6:30am. The superintendent advised that course would not be playable until 12pm. At that time we had a large tournament that had booked exclusivity of the course. If the course closes due to weather, the guest is not charged. Unfortunately we can not control the weather. Our pro shop opens at 6:30am. Hopefully you understand that the timing of the rain and course closure prevented us from contacting you before your arrival at 7am.

Cpgdwf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/30/2019

Cpgdwf,

Thank you for your review of Shula's Golf Club. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

"Very Nice"

bigfrank25's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2019

TEE off , fairways and greens are in very good shape!!! It’s my second game and we will come back !

bigfrank25,

Thank you for your review of Shula's Golf Club. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the golf course. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/04/2019

u000004647562,

Thank you for your review of Shula's Golf Club. We hope to see you again very soon.

Shula's Golf Club

"Very good course to have fun"

Leo2putts's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2019

You get a mix of everything: elevated tee box, plenty of water hazards, easy and difficult holes, etc. Front 9 is mostly treeline and doglegs with minimal water hazards; however, the back 9 has plenty of waters. The conditions on the greens are very good. Anyway, it's a value play.

Leo2putts,

Thank you for your review of Shula's Golf Club. We are glad that you enjoyed your experience with us. We look forward to seeing you again at Shula's Golf Club.

"Love Shulas"

Patrick2723's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/19/2019

Had a blast with great greens, sand is soft play sand and excellent.

Love the clubhouse and all the great Dolphins memorabilia.

Patrick2723,

Thank you for your review of Shula's Golf Club. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your round. We look forward to seeing you again.

Shula's Golf Club

"Decent if you like nice greens"

dwolfe58's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/10/2019

The greens were in great shape, fairways and tee boxes were ok but have bare areas. I would recommend anyone who wants to play and not pay through the nose. I was the first to play and was by myself. It took 2 hours for 18.

Thumbs up for that.

dwolfe58,

Thank you for sharing your comments from your round of golf on 4/10. We are glad that you enjoyed the greens. Our golf course maintenance staff has increased the frequency of fertilizing tee boxes in the past month. Hopefully you will notice a difference the next time you play.

"Terrible experience"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2019

Most unfriendly and uneducated staff. Very rude to guests. Doesn’t help anyone with their bags. No starter. No direction. No one enforcing scheduled tee times. The greens were awful. Comparable to a living room carpet. They had no no cart girl/guy come around. The bar/food area was closed at the turn. People from the town sit in lawn chairs on the tee boxes. Nobody that plays at this course has any etiquette. Ball marks all over the place. No divots ever filled. Layout of the course was nice. But if it rains within the week you play at this course, it does not drain well. Sloppy fairways. You get what you pay for if you play at this place.

u176881841,

Thank you for your review of Shula's Golf Club. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience during your round on 3/31. The staff should never be rude to any guests. We are in the process of retraining our afternoon staff to provide a high level of service to all guests. The Bull Pen closes down at 3pm on Sundays and only provides cold sandwiches and chips. We wish that all golfers were like you when it comes to filling in divots and repairing ball marks. We continue to educate our customers on proper etiquette. We hope that you will have a much better experience the next time you golf with us.

"Decent course oberall"

rpwadhwa's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2019

Course was in pretty good shape. Bit of delay starting but pace was decent. Only complaints - 1- should have water every few holes as only one beverage cart for entire course.; 2- I don’t understand why people can’t repair their ball marks on the greens or rake the traps after hitting out of a bunker. Very frustrating to hit out of a footprint hole in a bunker...

rpwadhwa,

Thank you for your review of Shula's Golf Club. We are glad that you found the course in good shape. We provide drinking water on holes 4, 8, clubhouse, 10, 12 and 16. Our staff continues to remind all players to rake bunkers. We wish that all golfers complied. We hope to see you again very soon.

Yako1414's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/28/2019

Yako1414,

Thank you for your most recent review of Shula's Golf Club. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

"Average course"

TKINDT's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/28/2019

Weak services. They allowed us to borrow a extra bag for free. Just not very personable staff. Girl inside seemed bothered to stop playing with her fingernails

TKINDT,

Thank you for reviewing Shula's Golf Club. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the service that we pride ourselves on. Please let us know what specifically did or did not happen so that we can address it with the staff. Our goal is to constantly improve on service provided to all guests. We look forward to hearing from you.

uUFDU7801UF's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/11/2019
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Course in good shape. Pace of play just a bite over 3 hours. Recommend to every one.

uUFDU7801UF,

Thank you for sharing your comments from your visit to Shula's Golf Club. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the condition and the course and the pace of play. We hope to see you again very soon.

Shula's Golf Club

"Nice course but staff and pace of play was horrible"

Mike6481927's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/28/2019

I had a 1:08 tee time. I got to the course at 12:30. The pro shop told me that they could not check me in until my tee time. I was not put on a cart so could not go to the range without lugging my bag. I was finally checked in at 1:00 and given a cart. There was no starter so I went to the tee and joined up with a twosome on the tee. We played the first nine in a little over 2 hours. The second nine was different. It took 3 hours to play. At times there were 3 groups on every tee. On the 11th hole I noticed a sixsome playing the 12th. That was the problem.

The greens were good but slow. The fairways were not cut and looked like rough. I have played this course many times and have never been subjected to this treatment ever. Especially as a single. While I was waiting to check in only twosomes were teeing off with the exception of the odd threesome.

I will probably not play this course again.

Mike6481927,

Thank you for your review of Shula's Golf Club. We apologize that you did not have an enjoyable experience during your Feb 28th round. The pro-shop checks in guests as early as 30 minutes in advance. We had a very busy day on the 28th with 4 hotel groups and over 200 people on the golf course. The back 9 had cart path only restrictions which always slows the pace of play down. We sincerely apologize for any mistreatment you feel you received. All of our guests are equally important to us and we encourage their feedback so that we can make improvements. We hope that you find a more enjoyable experience the next time you visit us.

"To slow"

gagnonpc's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/28/2019

Pace was terrible. No ranger. On every tee we had two to three groups waiting,

Gagnonpc,

Thank you for sharing your comments from your most recent round at Shula's Golf Club. We are sorry to hear that the pace of play was not to your liking. We had 4 hotel groups on the course that day with cart path only restrictions on the back 9. Hopefully you will see a much improved pace of play the next time you visit us.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/25/2019

u2685359,

"Excellent cours"

Mario7565597's avatar
Plays:  Twice a year

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/23/2019

Would like to play there everyday but juste a bit far from home But this Time around will play there 3 Time for sure this week

Mario7565597,

Thank you for your review of Shula's Golf Club. We are glad to hear that you enjoy playing our course. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.