Lake Presidential Golf Club

Indoor practice facilities: Yes
Simulator: Yes

The Tips 72 7230 yards 74.4 141

Lake Presidential Golf Club is one of Maryland's most popular public courses. It is a challenging championship layout that is player friendly enough to accommodate a wide range of skill levels. It stands out from run-of-the-mill municipal courses with exceptional conditions from the tees to the greens. The layout offers a diverse mix of holes that will have golfers using every club in their bag. There are some especially interesting par 3s that are visible but with enough hazards to make them a challenge. Houses border the front nine holes but they are absent on the back nine. The fairways on the last nine holes are densely lined with mature trees. The golf course finishes with an enjoyable par 5 that plays over a lake. It can be reached in two with a little skill and accuracy.

Location is in the 'burbs worth the drive convenient to the city   Great for advanced golfers locals wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include elevation changes water hazards forced carries   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views patio dining

"Nice course layout"

draghand2's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2019

I was pleasantly surprised with the overall course layout and conditions of the course. With the weather being so nice on a saturday morning , I guess we were bound to have some delays. Considering the hot deal prices, it was well worth the money. Would definitely recommend.

"Improving"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/04/2019

Improved conditions v. last year. Be prepared to do long walks from cart paths. And beware no. 18....a real end of round “widowmaker”. with the steep inclines from distant cart path.

"Great Course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/04/2019

lake Presidential is a very good golf course. Last year was the first year the course was good again after many years of being in horrible condition. It looks like it continues to get back to where it used to be. I would think that in June/July it should be in outstanding shape. The greens were great today. Too bad there are so many houses going up around the course. It really distracts from the course. I guess that's where the money is.

Ryan3371751's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2019

Awesome track with amazing conditions for March golf in the DMV area. Don’t know why I’ve waited so long to play it! Will definitely be headed back a few times this year, worth the price tag.

"Great Track / Great day!"

Robhinojosa's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/04/2019

Played the course and even though it was a bit wet from snow earlier in the week the course looks much much better than the last time we played it earlier last year. Only minor issue was having to chage carts at the turn but we were told it was due to being stored. Pace was under 4 hrs on a great warm day! looking forward to play the track again. Also bar service for lunch and drinks was faboulus. The young lady behind the bar was great!!!

"The course layout and condition was very good."

u7119686's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/26/2018

I and my wife were absolutely satisfied at the course and service.

"Excellent Golf Day"

Sportsone7400's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/20/2018

Course is in good shape! Tee boxes and sand traps need more work! Awesome it was NOT cartpath only after heavy rain night before round !

Ricky8819510's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/28/2018
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

First time playing Lake Presidential and I honestly left feeling a little confused about how much I enjoyed the round.

On one hand, the greens were extremely slow, bumpy, sandy ect. They had obviously been punched in the recent weeks which was fine. The problem was how inconsistent they were cut. Very tall and shaggy in some spots and thin and firm in others. The cups were very poorly cut for such a premium course. Made for a very frustrating round rolling putts.

The fairways were excellent shape, zero complaints there other than hoping people would do a better job repairing divots.

The other real issue outside of the greens was that the course was cart path only "due to the heat". It's obviously the courses discretion, and credit them for keeping the fairways in good shape but this made the round extremely unpleasant as most of the cart paths are elevated a good bit off of the fairways. On a hot day, treking up and down steep hills before and after every shot took alot of enjoyment out of playing the course.

The layout is fantastic. Very fair, but challenging. Course knowledge would be of great help.

I'd like to go back in the fall and play the course in its prime condition, which is what it looks like the grounds crew is already prepping for. My fear is, once it is in good condition it'll be priced well north of comparable courses in the MD/NOVA area. I'd try it again, but would have to make sure it wasn't cart path only before my arrival.

"Nice course - would play again"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/15/2018

I played on a Wednesday afternoon and finished in 4 hours and change. The course was in pretty good condition but a few tee boxes were beat up. The layout is challenging and the greens are tough. Will definitely play again.

Commented on 08/16/2018

Thank you for coming out to play. We appreciate that very much. You are correct, seven of our tee grounds are being changed from Bermuda grass to Bent. That will commence once Aeration of the greens is completed. That process begins on Monday the 20th. We look forward to having you out again.

"Great experience as a first timer"

dherbine's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/29/2018

Course was an excellent shape, staff was friendly, but pace of play was a tad long finishing in 4.5 hours. I will definitely be back!

Commented on 07/31/2018

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate the note on service as we are very focused on the total guest experience. Our actual Pace of Play clocks are set for 4:45. With the difficulty of the course, hilly terrain, and cart path only holes, it is very difficult to play faster than this. I'm glad you were able to play in 4.5 hours. That's a solid 15 minutes ahead of pace. Great job to you!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/20/2018

bidinski's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/19/2018
Used cart Verified Purchaser

Vast improvement in conditions of course since I last played, but it was extremely wet and soggy (this was before the recent rains.) As a result, large divots littered the fairways which were not replaced. Also, lots of unrepaired ball marks on the greens. Getting better but need to encourage golfers to take better care of the course.

Commented on 07/25/2018

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, you would have experienced some "soggy" areas as we had been hand watering for the last three weeks during the drought. It is required to keep the grass healthy. You wll notice we rarely ran sprinklers and only watered areas where the ground is still significantly compacted. Yes, sometimes that water runs off and creates areas that are more wet than we need. It is amazing to your point how many golfers do not respect any facility and don't repair their divots and ball marks. Even high-end private clubs have the same issue. Frustrating for sure for all of us.

"Awesome layout/greens!"

Krisg0912's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/18/2018

This course is an awesome challenge when it’s in great shape. The greens were rolling awesome even though the fairways were a bit saturated. I love the layout and really enjoy this course when the condition matches the mystique. They lost it last year but it’s a lot closer to being a course I will add back to my must play list!

Commented on 07/19/2018

Thanks for the comment. As you can see by the numerous recent feedback submissions, we have worked hard to re-establish this facility. It is playing wonderfully right now. We will continue to hand water all dry and severely compacted areas to ensure proper turf conditions. I'm sure you noticed that we just don't blindly use the sprinklers and are only addressing required areas.

Rick9761070's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/16/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

after 2 years of terrible condition this course is in great shape. I have played in Myrtle Beach on golf trips for 30 years and this course is very comparable to many courses there in regards to conditions. Kudos!!!

Commented on 07/23/2018

Thank you for the nice compliment. We appreciate you noticing the hard work we have put into this property. Now, think of the money you will save by playing here and not having to travel all the way to Myrtle Beach for a nice golf course. See you soon! :)

"Lake Presidential Course Review"

JSH6's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2018

The people were very friendly. The course was not in good shape. Most disappointing was the fact that as hot as it was, they would not turn the fans on to cool things down. Asked a couple of times. It could have made for much better conditions out there. However, again the course was not in great blessings and good shape to play.

Commented on 07/08/2018

Golfnow, this review should be removed. I just played the course on 7/7 and it was in great shape.

Commented on 07/05/2018

This is hilarious. The fans around the greens aren't there to cool people off. Unreal.

Commented on 07/04/2018

Interesting comment. I have to disagree as Lake Presidential is in outstanding shape. The fans are solely to move air across the greens which we do not need right now, so they won't be on. As you can see by the many recent comments, this course is in spectacular shape.

"Wow! What a Difference 2 Years Makes..."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/27/2018

Haven't played Lake Presidential in 2 years because the course conditions were horrid. Wow! What a turnaround. I read the previous reviews and decided to try it again...I am so glad I did. This course is 200% better than it was 2 years ago. The fairways are green and on the verge of being categorized as lush! The bunkers had new, fine sand in them and recently smoothed. And, the greens were absolutely perfect...and quick! I was in awe of the conditions--the front nine was perfect, and the back nine was 90% there. The maintenance staff were out all over the course watering greens and fairways...and made sure they stayed out of the way. The other staff (starter, pro shop and restaurant) were great, and very much into the customer experience. I can't get over what excellent condition the course is in! We played in under 4 hours and never saw a soul in front or behind us...we had the course all to ourselves, it seemed. I will definitely be back, and I will definitely spread the word that Lake Presidential is back! The Superintendent has done an excellent job, and I applaud the owner for dumping some money into this course. It's a great layout (although I hate #15), and somewhat challenging.

Commented on 06/30/2018

Thank you for the nice comments. We are working hard to make Lake Presidential a spectacular golfing experience. We will keep our 12 minute Tee Time intervals, this is what aided you in feeling as though you were not rushed or having to wait. We will keep working hard here at the property if you keep returning to play.

Thanks again.

"Great experience"

Clifford6944764's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/23/2018
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

Course was in great shape. I played here a couple of years ago and the place was a wreck. Thought they would close due to memberships falling. Not sure what happened but there is a huge turn around from what this course was at a time. Everything was great, and I expect rates and membership to increase soon once people find out how great this course is again.

Compliments to the staff, the course, management, greenskeepers, etc.

Commented on 06/30/2018

Thank you for the nice compliments. Yes, we have been working hard to restore Lake Presidential to the conditions it deserves. Great idea about raising rates! We will keep them here for a while yet and continue to offer what we feel is the best valued golf experience in the DMV. Come back soon!

"Lake Presidential Golf Course"

lmccain56's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/07/2018

The course is in great condition, except for a couple of tee boxes. But those were mostly from people not filling in their divots. Fairways and greens are in excellent condition. The greens roll true and at a fast pace. Would have given an excellent rating, but some people just don't know how to leave a course in the condition that they found it. They make it difficult for course maintenance personnel to keep up with fixing problems left behind.

Commented on 06/11/2018

Good morning. Thank you for the nice comment. You are correct about many golfers don't take the time to replace their divots or repair their ball marks. This is a problem throughout the industry. We always ask that people respect the game, the course, and maintain the integrity of the game. At the end of the day, it comes down to the golfer and their personal choices of enjoying this gentlemen's game in the spirit in which it was designed. Food for thought for all of us to do better. Thanks for writing in.

"Beautiful, challenging course."

Richard2188714's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2018

Playing weather was warm and humid. Wind was light and variable. Area has had a lot of rain and the fairways and greens were in great shape. Rough was thick and it was advisable to avoid it. Only three holes were “cart path only” but my partner and I got good exercise nevertheless. We have played the course a good number of times and we knew most of the trouble spots, however we didn’t always avoid them. But both my partner and I shot low personal rounds for this course and thus enjoyed our round immensely.

Commented on 06/04/2018

This is about a perfect review. You knew what to avoid and did your best to do so, but still had an awesome time. Thanks so much and we are glad you had an enjoyable time. We are excited to have you back again and again until you get it exactly right. :)

Thanks much!

"Wow.. its back"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/29/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Having heard the fairways were lost last year, This is first time in 2 years I have played it. The greens were in great shape. Fairways also.. except #7 which was aerated. The rough is tough. The grass around the bunkers does not allow balls to roll to bottom which gives the course some teeth. Will be back again. We made a friend on 18 fairway.

Commented on 05/31/2018

Thanks for the nice review. You are correct about the rough. We had a major breakdown with two rough mowers. We feel behind while getting them repaired. We are almost caught up except for the faces of the bunkers. We are also about to invest several thousand dollars in possibly two new rough mowers to continue to propel this course forward with our conditions. We look forward to having you back.