Trevino at Geneva National Golf Club

Dress code: Proper golf attire
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Gold/White Combo 72 6474 yards 71.0 130
Gray (W) 72 5650 yards 72.7 129

Geneva National Golf Club is the second largest golf facility in Wisconsin, offering three championship courses, each designed by golf pros Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, and Lee Trevino. The courses are abundant with scenery, provided by the rolling countryside that sits along the banks of Lake Como, but they are also conveniently located just a short drive from metropolitan Chicago and Milwaukee. The Trevino Course may be the least difficult of the three but that doesn't mean it is without its fair share of challenges. It has the least amount of water of any of the three courses but it does make a memorable appearance on the par-3 fifth hole where a stream cuts across not once but twice. There may be little water, but plenty of strategically placed bunkers will keep you on your toes.

"A fair test of your game the entire round"

Iamdiesel18's avatar
Illinois Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/22/2017

This was my first time playing any of the courses at Geneva National. Since I was playing with my girlfriend (a newish golfer), I called ahead and asked which was the easiest of their three courses. Their answer was the Trevino course. After playing this one, I'll certainly be back to test myself on the other two courses.

Pros: I'll start with the staff. From the bag drop to the starter, to the beverage cart attendants, to the rangers, all were top notch and very friendly and helpful. Everyone seemed genuinely happy to be working there. The pro shop has anything and everything you could ask for. The driving range is awesome. It provides a beautiful view over Lake Como. I liked the course design by Trevino. He definitely forcused on playability when he designed this course. For better players that can fade the ball, they can attack pins all day and try and cut off some corners on the dog leg holes. But for players who are just happy to hit the ball straight, they'll be able to enjoy the round with scoring opportunities on multiple holes. I felt that as the round progressed, the holes got thougher with there being narrower fairways and decisions to be made with forced carries or lay ups. This is not a course where you just hit driver off the tee on every hole. Good variety of holes with enough hazards to punish wayward shots yet not take you out of the hole. Large green complexes with multiple ridges and levels running through them. Be sure to pay attention to pin placement or risk a 50+ ft putt over multiple ridges.

Cons: The course is in nice condition but I've played better conditioned courses this year for a much better price. For me, the value of playing a casual round here is just not there. Special events/occasions? Sure. A normal weekday morning match with my normal golfing buddies? Too steep of a price for me. That reason alone is what differentiates this from being a five star course. My only other big criticism was the inconsistent speed of the greens. It was difficult to lag putt as some were very fast and others were much slower. The caveat to this is that we played after some heavy rains and it also briefly drizzled during our round. That may have had something to do with it. Being a walker for almost half of the rounds I play, there's no way that I would attempt to walk this course. Several of the tee shots can be quite intimidating for players that may spray the ball a bit off the tee with houses coming up right next to the fairways. There were multiple tee shots my girlfriend refused to hit because she was worried about slicing one into a house.

Verdict: The Trevino course is one on which you can score. It offers a good variety of holes. It has picturesque tee shots and approaches. I took multiple photos of various holes. Multiple tee options make it playable for all. I enjoyed myself enough that I'm willing to recommend it to others as well as to give the other two courses a try. Conditioning, value, and design wise, I would place it on the same level of both courses at the Grand Geneva resort (The Brute and The Highlands).

Extra tip: The Hunt Club steakhouse was excellent. Great food and great views overlooking several golf holes and Lake Como in the distance. Gorgeous in the evening. Golf attire is appropriate for the dress code.

"Pace of play"

u284019537's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/22/2015

high quality course but course had groups stacked on tee box , fairway and greens. Love the courses but this should not happen at a five star course.

"This course was in great shape for the end of October. Staff was super friendly."

BBrever's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/30/2013

I played 18 in under 3 1/2 hrs without even rushing. Course was in great shape especially for late October. Greens were smooth and fast. Would play again in a heartbeat.

"Great Course; Great Price!"

mulli1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/24/2013

I would recommend to everyone! For all the Courses on this Venue!

"Challenging but fair"

tenpasgj's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/1/2013

While the course presents challenges for an 18 handicap like me, it is a fair course. There are few areas where you need to carry your shot. All aspects of the course were well maintained.

"Beautiful Course"

Roger1801558's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 9/15/2013

The course was in great shape. It was raining and had some standing water in the fairways. Because of the rain my nephew and I had the course to our selves. They gave us a members cart to use to keep our clubs dry. The staff were great in that I had never played the course before and gave me precise directions. There are two other courses there that I would love to play. The Player course and the Palmer course. I look forward to playing them also. I will keep a close eye on Golf Now for the chance.

"Very good course, excellent staff"

Ken8690627's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 9/4/2013

The Geneva National facility is top notch, with great staff. The Trevino course was in very good condition with a nice variety of holes. No surprise from Trevino, most of the holes go from left to right so bring your power fade game!

"fun , beautiful, big undulating greens fast"

John9588047's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/04/2013

Great course, beautiful seanery, lots of elevation changes, great conditions . big greens , fast and rolling, brush up on your putting,

"Excellent facility"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2013

Trevino course was challenging without being unfair. Huge greens with lots of hidden breaks. Expect a few 3 putts in your round - especially if playing for the first time. Pace of play was fantastic for first 13 holes - ran into slow group - no help from rangers on that. At "sticker price" this is kinda expensive for what you get, but if you can get the discounted times its a great value.

"5.5 hours terribly long. There was no excuse for it. Kills the game for anyone"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 6/30/2013

Play was 5.5 hours. Every shot was wait and wait. The group behind kept hitting up on us and we stayed right on the group in front of us. The course must have been overbooked. I did not see a Ranger moving any group
along.

"Fun golf coarse."

tmwilli1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 6/20/2013

This track is neither super difficult or easy. I found it challenging.

"We'll be back."

forwardtease's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2013

My Son & I have played all three Geneva National Courses & found them to be different & enjoyable. Scroll Golf Now for the best tee time prices.