Westerwood Hotel Golf Club

Write Review

Year built: 1989
Architect(s): Dave Thomas (1989), Severiano Ballesteros (1989), Jonathan Gaunt (2008)
Type: Resort
Style: Moorland

Credit cards accepted: Visa, Delta, Mastercard, Maestro, Switch

Yellow 71 5874 yards 67.3 116
Yellow (W) 74 5874 yards 67.5 116

Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/20/2019

Commented on 05/14/2019

Thanks for the 5-star review!

The course is certainly in fabulous condition at the moment and the sunshine is a real bonus! Hopefully see you back up again soon.

"Disgusting"

u340720320's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/15/2019

It gives me no joy as a previous member saying this, but the course needs to be shut down or vast sums of money invested.

Course condition at present is disgusting. Essentially 18 flags put in areas of grass that are ever so slightly more trimmed and ever so slightly less waterlogged than the rest of the land. It looks like this course has been left to rot over winter. Greens pathetic. The first green is still a patchwork quilt of a green, the same it was six years ago. Other greens in similar condition. Fairways absolutely saturated with water., literally no spot to pick and place. Really is sad to see. The drainage was the reason I left the course, however despite the challenges it always was well looked after. Doesn't seem to be the case anymore

Hi there,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm astonished frankly with your comments however. The course is in the best condition it has been in for a long, long time - so much so that some of our members who have been here from when it opened have commented that the greens are the best they've seen them........ever!

If you'd like to send me an email to golf@dbhglasgowwesterwood.com, I will try and give you some relevant feedback on what we've been doing and our plans moving forward. I can also get you up for a game to see if it was just a bad day?

"Great course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/24/2019

Very nice course and in good condition after heavy rain the day before we played

Hi there,

Thanks for your feedback - greatly appreciated. Hopefully see you up at the course again soon.

"Long course"

Mikeyjmylo's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/07/2018

I do like the course and the overall condition was ok. But I had a few major issues with it.

The tee off boxes are shocking the rough is an absolute joke and needs cut back as the minute you're ball goes in you can almost guarantee its a dropped shot.

Unfortunately for this I won't be back this year. But the biggest concern was how the greens play. I've never seen a green spiked as much. So much so the ball bounces so bad that unless you're a few feet from the hole you won't be one putting

Hi there,

thanks for your comment and delighted to hear that you like the course. If you'd like to email me with the issues you mentioned, I'd be happy to help. Dcochrane@dbhglasgowwesterwood.com

Thanks,

"Worth a visit."

TamMeikle478's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/30/2018

Good course with some lovely holes. Few tricky ones with dog legs. Rough too unforgiving for high handicappers like my Dad and I. I’d recommend hiring a buggy as quite a walk.

Hi there,

Many thanks for your comment. The rough is next on the agenda to get thinned out and cut back....... Hope to see you again once this work has been completed.

Daryn

"Great layout but too wet"

Thomsdc's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/25/2018

I enjoyed the course and the layout but it was too wet. Balls plugging everywhere and greens so soft underfoot.

Hi there,

Thanks for your comment. The course has been much drier this year and is starting to turn the corner with regards our drainage work. I'm sorry that you felt the greens were too soft - they have been in great condition all year is the general feedback we have had. We will hopefully see you back up again soon and hopefully you get the same experience as everyone else.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/02/2018

Very wet and misty first 6 holes then cleared nicely. Course was pretty wet in places but was acceptable due to the amount of rain that fell that night . Course still very challenging and we both enjoyed the scenery and the catch up pity the golf wasn’t as good

Commented on 08/06/2018

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us your feedback from your round at the course. I'm glad you enjoyed the day - the golf can always be better! I'm also delighted that after such a dry spell, the course held up to the overnight monsoon!

We hope to welcome you back up again soon.

"Improved"

Cunners26's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/31/2018

Played this course a few years ago and was essentially a marsh. Appears much improved. The dry summer certainly seems to have helped. Greens are true and generally the course seems in much better condition. The rough is brutal however, personally I think too severe. Ultimately the course rewards good shots but anything wayward is lost/in bunker. A good test, but bring plenty of balls!

Commented on 08/02/2018

Hi there,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave us your feedback and I'm delighted you got to witness first-hand the development and improvement of the course over the last few years.

Lots of hard work has gone in to this from the team as a whole. There's plenty more to do to bring us to the standard that we have set for ourselves (rough thinning one of those measures), but it's an on-going process and one in which I hope you can continue to share with us along the way.

Hopefully we can welcome you back again soon.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/11/2018

Great day out again beautiful scenery and course in great condition

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to message us with your positive comments. We hope this isn't your first and last time at the course and hopefully we can welcome you back again soon.

t1108714695's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/10/2018

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to send us your 5-star review! We hope to see you again up at the club soon.

Colin1225188's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2018

Hi there,

Many thanks for taking the time to send us your 5-star feedback - greatly appreciated! We hope to welcome you back up at the club again soon.

Daryn

"What a difference a month makes"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/29/2018

What a difference in this course in just over a month greens are absolutely brilliant and course looking great overall. Played here over a month ago and was very disappointed and put a very negative response but wow brilliant green staff have turned this course around into a great course and thanks to Westerwood Hotel for listening to the golfers comments. Enjoyed so much we have booked again for Monday morning can’t wait

Hi there,

I'm delighted you came back and saw the efforts that the team have been making. Greatly appreciate your feedback as well. Hope the Monday's golf was as good and you can make it back again soon!

Daryn

"Finally the summer is here"

Mikeyjmylo's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/27/2018

The last few weeks we have had great weather which has changed the course to a very very good course. Some beautiful holes. Ok a little dry bit better that than wet. 14th hit a drive down the hill and 9 iron to the back of green to watch the ball roll to 5 feet of the hole for my 1st EVER eagle. Then to follow up with a birdie. Right now this course is so much better than it's been in many many years. Play it while the sun is here. You won't regret it.

Hi there,

Thanks for your comments and delighted that you enjoyed the course - eagles are always rare birds and should be cherished! Hope to see you up at the club again soon.

Daryn

"Best its looked in a long time!"

t463829129's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/24/2018

Used to be a member here and the drainage was awful......

This time up, course looked miles better, greens were well kept and good speed. Always a challenging course.

Staff are excellent.

No hold ups, easy to play at own pace.

Major bug bear though is that the deep rough needs a proper cut though. If your ball ends up in it just now, you're as well teeing up again.

Recommend the course though, good fun!

Hi there,

Thanks for your kind feedback and delighted you enjoyed the course. The hard work is starting to pay off for the team. Let us know if you ever fancy re-joining again - friends always welcomed back!

Jimbo1888's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/21/2018

Hi there,

Many thanks for your 5-star review - greatly appreciated! We hope to see you again soon up at the club.

"To much high rough"

Flimsy's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2018

Just starting to learn Golf and this is not a very forgiving course, if you go off the fairways at all you never find your ball as the rough is so high. There was a lot of heavy rain lying from the day before which effected fairways and again the ball did not run very far.

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to send us your feedback. The course always rewards the straight shot and this is definitely a feature of it. I hope you can come back and test yourself again as it really grows on you.

On a separate note, our PGA staff would be only too happy to help you, if it's required, regards starting to learn the game. Our on course lessons are very popular.

Plays:  Once every three months

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/25/2018

The whole course left a bit to be believed the fairways were long and the rough even longer. The greens were in a terrible state and didnt look as if they were being worked on. Overall, poor conditions

Hi there,

Thanks for providing us with some feedback on your experience. The course and greens specifically are about to undergo some serious investment, so I'd be delighted if you came back when they're done and see what you think.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/22/2018

Lovely course beautiful scenery but let down badly with condition of greens still enjoyed our day

Hi there,

Thanks for providing us with some feedback on your experience and glad you liked the layout - a definite crowd pleaser! The course and greens specifically are about to undergo some serious investment, so I'd be delighted if you came back when they're done and see what you think.

"Poor condition"

Rcrt's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/18/2018
Previously played Walked Perfect weather Verified Purchaser

Great layout, challenging holes, beautiful scenery but let down by condition of the course and greens

"Great Value"

CraigGrimes's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2018
First time playing Walked

Played on Saturday 05 May - Greens were great; fairways well maintained. Great layout as only rarely have parallel fairway. Happily play again.

Commented on 05/17/2018

Thanks for taking the time to post a review Craig.

I'm glad you saw the course on its path to improvement. It has certainly been a tough spell of weather, but great work from the greens staff is now reaping some rewards.

See you up again soon hopefully!