Chardonnay Golf Club

• 2555 Jameson Canyon Road, American Canyon, CA 94503
  • (707) 257-8950, (800) 788-0136
  • www.chardonnaygolfclub.com

Year built: 1991
Architect(s): Algie Pulley (1991)
Type: Semi-Private
Greens: Blue grass
Fairways: Blue grass

Practice bunker: Yes
Practice hole: Yes

Singles allowed: No
Dress code: Unacceptable Attire: Sports gear: Sweat pants, track/jogging suits, bathing suits. Slacks/Pants: Denim pants, pants that have holes in them or are torn. Shorts: Cut-offs, “short shorts or skirts”. Shirts/Tops: Tank tops, muscle shirts, cut-off shirts
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Sovereign 72 6939 yards N/A N/A
Imperial 72 6570 yards N/A N/A
Double Magnum 72 6185 yards N/A N/A
Magnum 72 5890 yards N/A N/A
Bottle (W) 72 5229 yards N/A N/A

Sitting at the gateway to the renowned Napa Valley wine district, Chardonnay Golf Club meanders through acres of lush Chardonnay and Merlot vineyards dotted with sparkling lakes and wandering creeks. Native flora and fauna cover the golf course, which also provides a home for an abundance of wildlife including hawks, foxes, bobcats, and even the occasional golden eagle. Besides the spectacular setting, the layout provides one of the most challenging rounds in the area. The rolling landscape provides interesting elevation changes and there are plenty of mature trees coming into play. Several holes also feature water hazards and strategically placed bunkers. Chardonnay Golf Club's greens are lightning fast and the course plays long. One of the most memorable holes, both for the scenery and level of difficulty is the par-3 eighth. This hole is framed by stunning views of the Valley and it requires some clever shotmaking skills.

Location is worth the drive near local attractions convenient to the city   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers a weekend splurge   Challenges include undulating greens forced carries bunkers   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"Awesome Course"

ctgoldenbear's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2019

Chardonnay is an awesome course. The greens are FANTASTIC! It is a challenging, but fair course. Like many courses these days, the pace was slow; unfortunately. The person at the front desk was not very friendly, but the person who greeted me at the bag drop off was very helpful and friendly.

"Wine country golf"

mmet71's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2019

A nice course. There were a few soggy spots in the fairway, but there had been recent rain. Nice scenic layout.

Commented on 05/20/2019

Thanks for the 4-star review! Be sure to book another round with us soon.

"Fun"

u000001161989's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/13/2019

Course is in a super pretty setting...amongst vineyards. Some challenging pin placements. Good food. Will be back!

Commented on 04/15/2019

We're glad to hear it! Thanks for choosing Chardonnay, we looking forward to seeing you again soon.

"First Time Player"

John2787360's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/12/2019

Course was in excellent condition including the greens for this time of year. Very enjoyable course with a variety of holes to make you think about your shots. Definetly plan on returning again .

Commented on 04/15/2019

Thanks for the 4-star review, we appreciate you taking time to rate us on Golf Advisor and we're glad to hear you enjoyed your round at Chardonnay. Come see us again soon!

"Wet course drains well"

drywit's avatar
Plays:  Twice a year

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/26/2019

After several days of rain we were concerned about playing conditions. The course drains really well and we had no problems. A fun day.

Commented on 05/09/2019

We're glad you enjoyed your time with us, Dry Wit! We hope to see you again soon.

"excellent layout"

impart's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/21/2019

The course is in great condition, so early in the year. The greens were perfecto and very difficult.

The pin placements can be almost impossible.

Just missed my second hole in one on 16.

Commented on 03/25/2019

Thanks for taking the time to review us, Impart. Sorry to hear about your near miss, be sure to book another round with us soon so you can have another go at it - maybe we can even ease up on those Sunday pin placements!

u000001970731's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/20/2019

Commented on 03/21/2019

Thank you for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soon.

"Great conditions after wet winter"

schreibee's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/18/2019

I have barely played during the long wet winter, and when I've tried to get out there it has been a muddy, sloppy mess.

Chardonnay was in amazing shape considering that, and compared to some others, in impeccable shape. Virtually no standing water, or spots of such soggy conditions that the ball plugs, and you end up mud splattered.

In addition the staff was extremely friendly & welcoming.

If there is a complaint about Chardonnay it's the long distances between many greens & tees. . We were riding, but it makes it not very walkable when it's a 2-minute cart ride to the next tee box after putting out!

But as long as many other courses are drowning in water & mud, Chardonnay is a great destination!

Commented on 03/21/2019

We're glad to hear all our hard work isn't going unnoticed. Thanks for coming out, be sure to book another round with us soon!

"Bad Timing for Golf Today!"

timmer0823's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/13/2019

Being from out of town, we book most of our reservations online. The disadvantages of this is not receiving relevant course conditions and events. We showed up for our afternoon tee time only to learn that the course was still soaked from past rains so the driving range was closed and it was cart path only. In addition we were following a Community College shotgun tournament and they were all walking. Needless to say it took over 3 hours for the front nine and we ended up quitting after the 14th hole. I like this course and will probably play here again, but not before calling ahead to learn of course conditions. Live and learn!!

Commented on 03/18/2019

We're sorry to hear your experience was less than ideal, Timmer. We hope you'll give us another chance soon!

"Played 1st sunny day after 1 month of rain!"

torch892's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/11/2019

Great staff and I love the course layout.

The fairways were (not surprisingly) soggy after our super rainy month, but the greens were in excellent shape.

Some of the cartpaths are getting a bit rough (looks like post-earthquake cracking, but I’m guessing that this isn’t why they are like this)!

Commented on 03/18/2019

Glad to hear you enjoyed your round and that the greens are holding up despite all the rain. Book another round with us soon!

"Course needs to dry out"

Allan3167402's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/09/2019
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

The course was in good condition, but they should not of allowed us to play on Saturday morning. The course was a swamp everywhere. There were times when we would hit our drives and the ball would burry in the fairway and could not be found. We called multiple times about course conditions and they kept telling us they were good to go and were keeping all tee times. This was not the case, and making us pay full price was a joke. This is a really nice course normally, but I did not expect them to let us play under these conditions.

Commented on 03/18/2019

Thanks for your honest review, Allan. Course conditions are our top priority, so we're sorry to hear your experience was anything less than 5 stars. We've been working hard to keep the course in top shape in spite of the weather we've had, but if there's anything you think we could do better please give us a call at (707) 257-1900.

"10 people playing one hole"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/04/2019

First time I’ve ever seen 10 people playing in one hole. Marshall was nowhere to be found. They don’t even let me play through, I was playing by myself.

Response from Chardonnay Golf Club on 03/12/2019:

Thank you for playing Chardonnay Golf Club. We sincerely apologize if the pace of play was much slower than normal. Please give us a call in the pro shop next time if you don't see a marshall. We hope you'll consider giving us another try in the near future.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/01/2019

Commented on 03/05/2019

"Very nice"

Orchardsgolfer's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/24/2019

Great layout and very quick undulating greens. A great place. I will definitely return.

Response from Chardonnay Golf Club on 02/28/2019:

Thank you for playing Chardonnay Golf Club! We appreciate your positive feedback regarding our course layout. See you again soon!

"Fun course poorly administrated"

biscuit74's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/23/2019
First time playing Used cart Cold weather Verified Purchaser

First, the course. It was fun. They layout was nice and playable without being "stupid" and the course was in good shape despite the amount of water we've had recently. Views were nice and in good weather the area would be beautiful. I would definitely play it again based on the layout and conditions.

Now the bad.

The tee time I booked online was 11:06am. The tee time the clubhouse put me down at was 11:33. No big deal on its own, but coupled with the other issues we had kind of annoying.

The course had a frost delay the morning we played. It happens, nothing anyone can do about that. However, the starters seemed to have a difficult time figuring out who should be up on the tee and did not do a very good job of spacing groups out. We were told when we checked in 20 mins prior to our time it was a 30 minute delay. About 11:45, the clubhouse started calling groups to the tee much less frequently, and started letting groups go off as twosomes rather than grouping it up as foursomes. We waited until approximately 40 mins after our tee time, and when we hadn't been called to the tee we went to pro shop to check on our status. Apparently they had "lost us on the tee sheet". The poor grouping led to 10 minute waits between many shots and no ability to get yourself into and maintain any type of rhythm. The whole round took between 5.5-6 hours.

Bottom line, I liked the course, I hated the way it was run. I get weather delays and I understand backups they can create. This was more than that. This was a weather backup compounded by poor course management, and that led to a miserable day on a fun course. Will I play it again, probably. But not anytime soon, need to let the stink blow off.

Response from Chardonnay Golf Club on 02/28/2019:

Thank you for playing Chardonnay Golf Club! Your positive feedback regarding the layout and course conditions is much appreciated. We sincerely apologize if the much slower than normal pace of play took away from the overall enjoyment of your first round with us. We hope you'll consider giving us another try in the near future.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/22/2019

Commented on 02/28/2019

"Painfully slow... again"

mikeking24's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/18/2019
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

This was my second time playing Chardonnay. After a painful 6-hour round a few years ago (on a warm, sunny Saturday afternoon), my wife and I decided to give this course a second chance given the beautiful views and fun course layout. Unfortunately history repeated itself and we were forced to give up on our round at the turn after the first nine holes took over 3 hours to complete (this time time on a cool, windy Monday mid-morning). Never saw a Marshall on the course the entire time. Saw a 5-some tee off a few groups ahead of us (never a good sign). The 4-some in front of our 3-some was fairly slow, but they kept up with the group in front of them - so not sure where the bottleneck was. It's a shame - agonizingly slow play can ruin even the most scenic and well-maintained golf course. Perhaps the tee times are too tightly-packed? Someone at this course really needs to make this a priority. I can't imagine in coming back ever again unless serious changes are made. Too bad - its very pretty.

Response from Chardonnay Golf Club on 02/22/2019:

Thank you for playing Chardonnay Golf Club, Mike. We sincerely apologize for the slower than normal pace of play. Your feedback is very important to us and we will do our best to make sure this doesn't happen again for you. We want you to be able to enjoy the beauty of our golf course without any negative distractions. We hope you'll consider giving us another try soon!

"Good all around course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/07/2019
Previously played Used cart Verified Purchaser

Since the area has been inundated with rain the last few day's I was kind of dubious about playing a round of golf at Chardonnay . I was happy to see that the course was in such great shape when I arrived.It handled the rain well. The fairways were wet, but very playable. The greens were fast even with all the rain that has fallen. Course conditions were not too bad considering all the rain, and the driving range was closed. All in all, not a bad round at all.

Response from Chardonnay Golf Club on 02/11/2019:

Thank you for playing Chardonnay Golf Club! Sounds like you had a great day of golf and we appreciate you taking the time to share your positive feedback. We hope to see you out here for many more rounds in the future.

"Kudos to the greens keepers!!!"

MarcIadarola's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/06/2019
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

Played here after a ton of rain and the course was in great shape. Good job guys!

Response from Chardonnay Golf Club on 02/11/2019:

Thanks for playing Chardonnay Golf Club! We appreciate your kind words regarding the course conditions. Our maintenance crew works very hard so thank you for your positive feedback. Come back soon!

"Good course but...."

Plays:  Twice a year

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/26/2019

Good conditions for the most part a little muddy but with all the recent rain, understandably so. My only complaint would be pace of play. 5 hour plus round, we barely beat sundown teeing off a little after 12pm. Other than that, a pretty good experience. Where were the marshals? Had to wait to tee off at almost every hole. Frustrating.

Response from Chardonnay Golf Club on 02/02/2019:

Thank you for playing Chardonnay Golf Club! We appreciate your kind words regarding the course conditions. Your feedback about the pace of play is important to us and we apologize if the pace was slower than normal. We hope you'll come back for another round soon!