The Ridge At Back Brook

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Proper attire is required.

Black/Blue 72 6867 yards 73.5 139

ozzone47's avatar
New York Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/21/2018
Previously played Used cart

Incredible architecture throughout on this rolling terrain. The clubhouse is spectacular too. And very, very challenging.

"A treat, and I wish I’d win the Lottery"

Steve3709753's avatar
Philly Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/09/2017

I was invited to play this course as a guest of a company that received some tee times from the club. I’ve played Myrtle Beach and a few other notable locations but holy cow! What a sweet club house! I guess being wealthy has some sweet benefits, like joining a club that caters to golfers. Come on Powerball ticket. But onto golf....

The course was immaculate. As you’d expect, so why spend any more time on that. You pick the topic and it was maintained wonderfully.

There wasn’t a lot of staff around. I’m guessing from the season, being November. That surprised me a little. So I can’t comment much about their friendliness. The two or three I spoke to were ok. The fore caddy we had, everyone must have one, was friendly and knew the course, but he didn’t provide as much assistance to three of us that had never been here. He gave most his time to the scratch golfer that hosted us. I get it, he’s the “real” golfer, but hey, we’ve never been here. Tell us where to aim?

Practice areas were really good. Lots of areas to perfect your game that were in great shape. I only had twenty minutes to warm up so I didn’t experience all the options but it impressed me.

The course was a challenge. It’s not for beginners and you shouldn’t expect it to be. The course was full of variety, and like their video says, uses the existing terrain well. It never felt like they bulldozed the land to put a hole in. At no time did I get that ho hum, same hole with a different number feeling.

If you get the chance, PLAY this course. I still ponder replaying it in my head of often.

"Golf course yes amenities no"

Goleg's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/20/2016

The course itself is wonderful well kept the problem lies in its management with seemingly no concern for any golfers experience except for the golf course itself, the employees themselves are very nice but seeim handcuffed by what they are allowed to provide for anyone's experience amenities wise

"A wonderful experience!"

HCCGM's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/21/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I have had the opportunity to play the Ridge a number of times since it's opening in 2002. It is definitely one of the nicest courses I have had the opportunity to play. This is not a track for the high handicap player. It is Tom Fazio at his finest. It sets up incredibly well off the tee to swing away with the driver as there are generous landing areas. And then, the challenges begin. Well bunkered greens with spectacular backdrops will test your skills on your approach shots. And the greens are some of the best I have ever played. Whenever I have played they have been immaculately groomed and very tricky to read. And lightening fast.. If you have the chance to play this fantastic golf course, take it. Or dig deep, and pony up the membership fee. It can't possibly get much better than this.

"2nd only to Pine Valley.......I think not!"

Phillygolfguy13's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/25/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

First I will share the positives. The clubhouse and locker room are world class. The design and attention to detail are incredible. Lunch was tasty, I had the meatball sandwich.

Now the negatives. As soon as you walk in the clubhouse to can not miss the "shrine" to Golf World Magazine that rated this course 2nd to only Pine Valley in NJ. The staff, especially in the pro shop, had the same kind of arrogance, not very friendly at all. The practice facilities look amazing, but they made us use the mats at the practice range and only one green was open for putting, bunker and chipping practice with over 100 golfers. Now the conditions. The recently aerated the tees, greens and fairways and top coated them with sand, lots of sand. It was like playing in a fairway bunker all day and the greens were terrible, slow and not rolling true.

But the real problem I had is with the Fazio Design. I have played a few Fazio designed courses, TPC Myrtle Beach and Shadow Creek, and this one does not rate against these. Time after time good shots are not rewarded. The severe contours on his fairways cause shots that hit the center of the fair way to end up in the rough. There are also trees that block access to parts of the green from the fairway. Case in point the Par 5 5th hole. If you choose to lay up your ball will come to rest on the left side of the fairway and you will not have access to shoot for a pin on the left side of the green from 80 yards away. Another issue I have was Fazio's bunker placement in the middle of the fairway on several holes especially on two of his par 5s. The final comment I will make is that missing a green should not end up in a two shot penalty. On several holes due to the pitch and the slope of his greens, you will not be able to hold a chip shot or a putt from the fringe on the green.

I have no problem with difficult golf courses, I enjoy them, but the course should not take away from the experience. For as much as I love Shadow Creek, which is a very special place, The Ridge can's live up to the billing of second only to Pine Valley.

Course Layout: Poor

"amazing"

mcbabz's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2014

By far,the best course I have ever had the pleasure to play on. Everything about this club was of the highest order. The practice area was nicer than most courses I've played on.

If you ever get the chance, take it at least once.

The clubhouse and locker room are top notch.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent