Glen Mills Golf Course

Practice hole: Yes

Dress code: Collared shirt required

Stroke 71 6646 yards 71.7 141
Green (W) 71 5430 yards 70.9 127

Challenges include undulating greens narrow fairways

"A Challenge"

ozzone47's avatar
New York Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/02/2018
First time playing Used cart

Our first time playing , so the many blind shots were difficult (but they're only blind once). Rough was deep, hadn't been cut because of the rain, so there was some time spent searching for balls. Fairways were tight, especially on the back 9. The greens are huge, could be 3 clubs difference depending on the pin placement. Would not be and easy walk. It is a big course (5 hour round). And I would never play it if it was cart path only.

"Great layout. Current conditions leave much to be desired."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/20/2018

I've played this course many times but the current conditions do not match the great layout. Possibly it's due to the wet weather but the greens are abysmal at best. Running maybe 7-8, pitch marks everywhere and you can't get a true roll on a putt without hitting it with a pace that puts the ball 5 ft by on a miss. If the course was in the $50-60 range I could live with the conditions given how great the layout is. Unless they offer a discount don't even consider going for a couple months until they get the greens in better shape.

"Varied and fun"

Steve3709753's avatar
Philly Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/09/2018

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. It had a lot of variety, with trees in some areas, water others, none on some more. Some holes made you place shots, and few let you rip it. It was very quiet and it was one of the more enjoyable my rounds I’ve played all year.

Conditions were very good, even with the very rain filled summer we’ve had. Nothing bad to comment on.

Pace of play was excellent given how busy it was. All the golfers I came across were knowledgeable and Appreciated the time out from work.

The staff were good. One Marshall was a bit too zealous several times, as in telling us one time as he calculated our pace of play on a sheet and noticed us what time we should be at the next tee, oh wait, you’re ahead of schedule... he needed a chill pill. Made us laugh a bit, since no group was in front of us and we’d left the ones behind us two holes back.

I learned that the profits support a school for children, I think teenagers, with some struggles, Andy they have the kids help with course maintenance.

Really a good day, course and you get to help some kids. It’s worth playing

"Decent but overpriced"

BababooeyNoine's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/27/2018

Lots of blind shots and fescue/junk. Must be able to play target golf. A few of the greens are kind of dumb with all of the undulations. The greens today were rolling at maybe a 5, which was super annoying. Typical public course nonsense like slow play from duffers who act like they own the place, unfilled divots everywhere, and unfixed ball marks on the green. It’s honestly not worth what they charge but enjoyable now and then.

"One of the best daily fee courses I've ever played"

rmkyhn's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/05/2018

I played The Golf Course at Glen Mills during a recent business trip to Philadelphia. Had played another course (Broadrun) the day before which is in the same area and was a beautiful user friendly layout (Ishot 78). and thought Glen Mills would be more of the same (NOT!). Fortunately, I played with a local (former club champ and very nice guy) who knew the course well. He recommended the blue tees as the tips might be a bit challenging for a first timer like me. Boy was he right, Literally every tee provided a great if not intimidating look. Other than a birdie on the 9th hole, this beautiful course absolutely chewed me up and spit me out.

As I said to my playing partners, I never had so much fun getting my butt kicked by a golf course. Perhaps it would play easier from the white tees, but with narrow fairways, deep rough, many well positioned bunkers and multi elevation greens, this course reminded me of mountain golf courses I grew up playing but was much tougher, I'm a solid 6 index and probably shot in the 90's. I say probably because there were several X's on the card.

I don't want to scare anyone off, but this course is something special and if you're a casual golfer or beginner, please play somewhere else, I have a score (pun intended) to settle with The Golf Course at Glen Mills and despite living 2000 miles away, I will be back. If I lived closer, this would be the course I could happily play every week. I've been playing for over 50 years and this is one of the best ever.

"A Top Philly Metro Muni"

AceGerard's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2017
First time playing Walked Hot weather

Played on hot humid summer day and walked and carried, great workout - not for everyone! No 2 holes are alike, plenty of elevation changes and angles, blind tee shots - was fortunate to play with a local. Had to get to Philly airport and was within 20 minutes. Staff very friendly and customer oriented. I will play here again next time in Philly, for sure!

"Challenging course with little forgiveness"

bambiklr's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/23/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

The Golf Course at Glen Mills is always in great condition and the pace of play right at 4 hours thanks to 12 minute tee times. Requires accuracy more than distance. Found blue tees to offer more of a variety of approach shots compared to white tees where I found myself hitting driver-wedge on most par 4s. Keeping the ball on the short grass is the key and knowing the grain on the greens.

"1st time playing GM"

None's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/01/2017

My expectations were extremely high going in.

Not a good start as I got possibly the worst hotdog on a soggy bun to eat before my round. Then to the range. Another bad experience. Balls were cut up, scuffed, and just in all around poor shape. They were balls found on the course. Time to start my round. I was only able to get 9 holes in due to bad weather. Great layout of holes. Greens were very bumpy and in not so great shape. Every putt my ball would bounce. Fairways were in great shape. I will play 18 at half price when I return with my rain check. I will be sure to not hit driver on most holes. I putt myself in bad positions hitting driver. Positioning is extremely important on this course. And I will bring my own food. All in all its a beautiful course. Just needs a better range and better food. Hopefully the greens improve.

"Very disappointing"

Golfdad03's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/25/2017

I have played The Golf Course at Glen Mills a number of times and it has always been a treat. The layout is great with the course demanding quality shots and forcing a variety of them as well. When my buddies and I were finally getting out to play, I suggested Glen Mills over another well rated golf course. The outside staff were great - engaging and fun. The shop attendant was another story. Very little personality and no conversation while taking the $98 payment. From there we went to the range to loosen up - which was not included in the fee. The range was unmowed and the range balls were all recycled from the golf course. Many were cut up and offered some interesting flight due to age. Once we got out on the golf course, the conditions certainly did not live up to our previous experience or expectation. The tee areas were shaggy and the turf was in rough shape. The greens - which have been historically wonderful - were patchy and rough, not offering smooth roll. Overall, it was disappointing and I hope that they are able to get things back in shape.

"Green not worth your $$$$"

joecoffeyiii's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/10/2017

We had a group of 17 guys out here on Saturday starting at 3PM and played for $68. All in all it sounded great!

I love the course layout. Makes you hit solid golf shots all day. I respect the golf course! On Saturday it was lush from tee box, to fairway, to rough, & then you get on the greens and it might as well have been Clayton Park. Sure they were fast, sure they didn't hold, they were brown & bumpy. Plain and simple it was a pure let down. Can we not imaging how people felt paying full price Saturday morning. I didn't feel like it was worth my $68 to putt on those greens.

White Clayton Creek and Rock Manor, both greens in better shape!

"Tricky one"

pottoj's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/15/2017

Had a great day at The Golf Course at Glen Mills. I stayed in downtown Philly and it took around 40 min to get there. Great greens and all together an fantastic experience!

"Great Course!!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/02/2017

This course is a real gem and you will use more clubs in your bag than a normal round. This is not a driver, pitching wedge type of course. You are rewarded for solid shots and punished for the miss hits. The real defense of this course is the greens. The day we played the pins were "random" and we had no idea where they were. With the size of the greens and the undulations this made a huge difference. This is a must play for everyone...even though it can be a bit expensive in prime time....can't wait to play again this summer.

"You have to play here"

Yanagisawa's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/25/2017

What a beautiful challlenging course. We drove 2 1/2 hours and it was well worth it.

"Simply the best course in the area!"

Mmeighan52's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/19/2017

We play Glenn Mills at least once to twice every month or so in our rotation. Especially with the cost of $60.00 at this time of year there isn't a course around that can touch this course. Even when there rate is $100.00 there are a few courses in a 50 mile radius that can compare to Glenn Mills that is public. I played many of the private courses around and I would put Glenn Mills against most of them as well. You will not find a course in a better condition this time of year or anytime of year. You always know the course conditions are going to be top notch. Never a let down at this course and a true gem. Will always be in my top 5 private and public.

"Amazing value"

rgeorgetti3's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/11/2016
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

This course is beautiful and one of the nicest public courses I've ever played, especially for the money. It is not crazy long but there are plenty of challenging holes. I would definitely play here again! Loved the layout!

"What was it's no longer..."

tylerlemm's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/03/2016

This course has always been to notch. Not sure what's going on with the conditions but they're not keeping up with their reputation. Dissapointed greatly but at least the price was reasonable. Not sure if I'll play it again this year. Greens especially were furry and there were divots EVERYWHERE. Cut grass all over the place. Driving range is really bad.

Commented on 08/29/2016

Are you sure you where at Glen Mills ? I was there Sunday and found the course to be in great shape. You do know they don't bag the grass clippings like you have to in Havertown, ,right ?

I don't think the Grounds Crew puts the divots in the fairway or on the greens ( hint ) it's the people who are driving around with golf clubs. I'm sure nobody will miss you if you don't play there again this year,, or next and the next......

"Mike B"

mikeboland55's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/22/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

Best public course in the Philly area. This place is worth the price of admission.

"Always a challenge !"

skean53's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/17/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

Played the fourth tees on a cold, late autumn day. Very difficult in the weather, should have played whites tees (which I recommend to all) as it would have been more enjoyable. Course in good shape, just wish lazy golfers would replace their divots!

"Great to Look at. Very Challenging to Play"

ewing384's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/13/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I will preface this by saying that I played very poorly. I tend to rank courses higher when I play a good round there.

Advice: play a set of tees more forward than usual.

Everyone I met at the course was very friendly and helpful. The course marshal stopped by several times and visited with me. He gave me a few tips and hints on how to play the course. I must have not listened because I seemed to find a lot of trouble.

The conditions of the course was very good. I played later in the afternoon and there may have been a lot of play that day. Several players had a hard time picking up their feet as they walked. Or maybe they were doing some line dancing on the greens. Either way there were a lot of track marks all over the greens. I can't say they caused any issues with my putting though.

I mostly enjoyed the front 9. Many of the holes were playable and open. There were a few blind holes but for the most part you knew what you needed to do on the tee. The rough was pretty gnarly and the greens were very firm and very fast. I would say that the pin placements and the overall contours of the green bordered on being unfair. Well maybe not unfair but extremely challenging. On the first hole I was 15' away for birdie. I left that putt 3' short and it rolled down a hill to almost 20' away. I totally missed that much break.

#7 was 230 yrds to the pin, uphill, into the wind. Needless to say I didn't hit a good shot. Once I got to the green to see the putting surface I couldn't believe the size and the contours on the green. Absolutely ridiculous. No green should be designed this way. Bobby Weed needs to give up golf course design if he thinks this was a good idea.

I turned to the back 9 and the poor design just got worse. 10 was very cool to look at off the tee. I played 195 yrds from the back and the green was huge. I hit a decent shot in the middle of the green. Once I reached the green I realiezed the green had a huge slope in the middle. I was on the wrong side of the slope. I bet it was 3-4' high in slope with side break and the pin was 4' from another slope. I left the putt 20' short because I was afraid to miss long. Luckily I finally made a putt for par. #11 is crazy narrow with trouble everywhere. I played this hole poorly after thinking off the tee I had hit the fairway. I still have no idea how to play #12. I think there is fairway out there but not totally sure. #13 is extremely long. 14 was a cool uphill par 3 with a lot of trouble in front. The green was tough to putt even though I was about 12' away. 15 is a fun hole until you get to the green. There is a "ditch" in the middle of the green. I didn't have to negotiate that so I hold no grudge against this design element. #17 may be the worst par 5 I have ever played. My garage might be wider than any part of the fairway. At least Bobby Weed decided to slant the fairway right to left so to make the fairway even more narrow. The approach to the green is scary. Bunkers left and a huge hill to the right with 3' grass up the hill. No way you will find a ball if you hit it in there.

I did not enjoy my round at all. Part of that was due to playing poorly and part was due to the extreme difficulty. Keep in mind that I am a 7 handicap.

Like I mentioned earlier, the course condition were very good. Many of the holes were absolutely gorgeous to look at. They were a terror to play. I bet weekend rounds at this course are probably 5.5-6.5 hours.

I've played some of the hardest golf courses in the U.S. (Ocean Course, Sawgrass, Tabacco Road, Tot Hill Farm, Royal New Kent and others.) but for some reason this course felt as hard or harder.

I would not discourage anyone from giving this course a try and draw your own conclusions. It is a very beautiful course with great conditions. The people seem nice and the setting is peaceful and scenic.

"Glen Mills"

kevinrmac's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/10/2015
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Glen Mills continues to be the best public option in the Greater Philadelphia Area. Course is always in great shape and the staff ensure that proper pace is kept. A great track for us locals to enjoy & I highly recommend visitors to the area to go out of there way to play a round here.