Tiburón Golf Club - The Black Course

• (239) 593-2201, (239) 593-2200
  • www.tiburongcnaples.com
Write Review

Year built: 2001
Architect(s): Greg Norman (2001)
Type: Resort
Style: Links
Greens: Bermuda Grass

Caddies: Yes
GPS: Yes

Indoor practice facilities: Yes
Simulator: Yes

Singles allowed: No
Dress code: Men: Shirts with collars & sleeves, slacks or Bermuda length shorts; Women: Dresses, skirts, slacks or Bermuda length shorts
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Family (W) 72 3975 yards 64.7 98

"Great day out."

davetheref's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/14/2019

Wow. From phone call to book a tee time to packing the clubs in the car to leave the experience of Tiburón was excellent. Was offered their best rate of $80 for a 1230 tee time and was worth every cent. Great staff and a great course. All in excellent condition and the Black course is very playable for all levels of player. Just the one gripe (hence the 4* rating) two groups had combined into an 8 ball and were having a party day - music blaring, load mouth quips at their (many) shots. Luckily they let me through as soon as I caught them but has to put up with the noise for a few holes. No marshal anywhere to be seen to sort out. Maybe would expect at the local muni but not at a course like Tiburón?

Luke6112941's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2019

Dfitzgibbon's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2019
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

"Good layout"

Paul1814965's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2019

Beautiful course. Mostly great condition. Greens were a little sandy which made them inconsistent. We played at twiggy rate so was a great value.

"Great day"

tmccarthy216's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2019

Course was everything I expected I got grouped with three other guys we all had a good time.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/15/2019

RGB8004D94686103F658's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/05/2019

"Pricey but Worth It"

clayjok's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/23/2019
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

Tiburon's Black Course is extremely nice! The Pro Shop guys, the beverage lady, and our caddie (Mike) were all wonderful.

Yes, the course is expensive but you get what you pay for. We played several courses in area, and Tiburon was by far the nicest. I'll definitely come back here the next time I'm in the Naples area. Looking forward to playing the Gold course.

Commented on 01/28/2019

Thank you for spending the day with us. We are glad you enjoyed The Black Course and had a good experience with the staff. Let us know when you want to give The Gold Course a try. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"$$$$"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/22/2019

I was a little upset. I made tee time over the phone and they charged me something like $50 per person ($270 in all) for not making reservation online but they failed to tell me that over the phone. So I get to the course and have my guests and I learn it’s $270. If I had been alone, I would have walked. But I had guests. It’s a nice course which I will not review here but no way it’s worth $270. I’m playing Merion next month and it’s cheaper.

Commented on 01/28/2019

Thank you for choosing to spend your day with us. We are sorry to hear that you had issues with the rate. Please note we use Dynamic Pricing here, and the best available rate will always be on our website. Sorry for any confusion there. Thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you in Naples again soon. If you would like to discuss this further, please email rpotts@troon.com. Thanks again!

"Tiburon Black"

Chip1407834's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/10/2018

Nice layout in great shape. Greens are receptive and roll true.

Commented on 11/16/2018

Thank you for spending the day with us. It sounds like you enjoyed your round. We appreciate the support and look forward to seeing you again soon!

"Awesome course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2018

The course played tough, was in excellent shape greens speed where mediam to slow and the facility was first class.

Commented on 06/19/2018

Thank you for spending the day with us. The Black Course was remastered last year, so the greens are a little bit slower than the greens on The Gold Course. By this time next year both courses will be the same speed. Thank you again for coming down to Naples and we look forward to showing you The Gold Course soon!

"Tiburon Black"

wconwell's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Lived up to expectations - and beyond. Staff was incredibly nice, friendly, and fun, from the greeting upon arrival through the pro shop to the after round drinks at Sydney's Pub.

The course itself was in immaculate condition, with the greens and fairways in as good a condition as any I've played in South Florida in the last few months. Tough layout not for the faint of heart, but certainly rewards good shots.

Don't miss the opportunity to play if you have the chance.

Commented on 06/05/2018

Thank you for spending the day with us. We are glad you enjoyed your visit. We also appreciate the comments and the kind review. We strive to provide world class playing conditions year round, and are glad that is what you experienced while in Naples. Thank you again for your support and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

"Tiburon-Black course"

Steven9209436's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/16/2017

On my birthday I decided to treat myself and play Tiburon Black course. It was cool and windy. The other 2 people that I was paired up with were a no show. I started out on my own and at the 4th hole caught up with a couple as caught up with a 4some with forecaddy. It was a waiting game. The couple gave up after the 14th hole. We were always behind the pace time according to the gps on the carts. I would have hated what it would have been like without a caddy. The course was in great shape. The greens firm and fast. I found it easy to get around and not hit into something hidden. I would seriously consider playing, but not in an absolute must. All of the practice facilities and the the stall were great.

Commented on 03/18/2017

First off, happy birthday! Also, thank you for spending the day with us. We are sorry to hear you had pace of play issues. Did you have a chance to speak with anyone after your round? If you would like to discuss it with us further, please email rpotts@troon.com. In regards to course conditions, we appreciate you saying that. Did you know we are going to remaster the Black Course later this year? It is going to get even better! Thanks again, sir, and we hope to hear from you and see you soon!

"Difficult but fair Greg Norman test"

MikeBaileyGA's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/14/2017

First off, playing this golf course from the back tees would be insane, even if you hit the ball a mile. Why? Because you're going to have to be able to thread your drivers and probably work the ball both ways,. You're better off playing this course with clubs other than the driver off the tee if you can. There are quite a few holes where a hybrid or a long iron off the tee is the more prudent play. Of the two courses at Tiburon, this one is definitely tighter. With that said, I do think it's a little better than the Gold because it's more interesting. And when it gets a renovation this year -- adding the really cool synthetic sodwall bunkers -- it'll definitely be better. The reason is that the Black course is more interesting than the Gold, but only marginally. They compliment each other well.

Commented on 03/20/2017

Mike, thank you so much for sharing your comments with us. The Black Course is much tighter than the Gold, and we are glad you liked the Durabunker treatment on the Gold. We are remastering the Black Course later this year, but will not be using Durabunker. We will be making the bunker faces lower and moving bunkers closer to the green to provide a greater difference between the two courses. Again, thank you for your comments and we hope to see you in Naples again soon!

"VG condition - punishing course"

CALAJ1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/14/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

When I book Tiburon Black on golf now I was concerned about the conditions based on previous reviews. I called the course and they assured me the issues that were discussed are now resolved. They were correct, the course was in great condition and we had a great round of golf. The course itself is very difficult for a beginner, tough on an intermediate and rewarding for a very good golfer.

Commented on 03/15/2017

Thank you for reading these reviews and for giving us a chance. Troon came in on September 1, and the Gold Course was recently remastered. The Black Course is being remastered this year, so come November, we will have 36 holes of brand new championship golf. Thanks again for coming out and for leaving such a positive review of your experience.

"Ritz Carlton golf"

simerm's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/08/2017

Beautiful course excellent design and condition. Expensive but worth it during high season. Holes challenging and give different options to play. Greens perfect and fast. Ritz service always first class. The starter John was quite professional , courteous, and pleasant. Definitely will be back to play.

Commented on 03/15/2017

Thank you for spending the day with us and for leaving such a positive review. Yes, the greens are fast, but fair. Also, John is great. We are glad you got the chance to meet him. Thanks again for coming out and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Expectations not met"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/11/2016

After seeing this course on TV several times my expectations were high, but in person it looked awful, the greens were patchy and discolored, found out the next day it was a fungus. I arranged for our foursome and was embarrassed to say the least. Saving grace was we did not pay full price as my dad hooked us with a reciprocal off season rate. Consensus was if we paid $250 we would have asked for our money back. Golf shop and restaurant were closed when we finished at 6:30. Fairways are crowned you have to be in center or you roll into " hard pan of crushed shells" this scratched clubs

Commented on 12/06/2016

First off, thank you for spending the day with us. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your round at Tiburón Golf Club. This is not the experience we want for our members and guests, and would like to learn more about your day. Did you know we recently remastered the Gold Course? Please email rpotts@troon.com so we can learn more about your day and see what we can do to make things right. Thank you again for spending the day with us, and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

"Damaged greens beyond repairs"

waves3464's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/06/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Do not waste your money playing this course. All their greens are damaged beyond repairs. They are slow, bumpy and on some holes downright disgusting with bad patch worked or sanded over to over the damaged area.

We played in the tournament and if we know ahead of time, we would switch to play the other course at Tiburon instead. We were never told of the greens conditions until we got there.

Albeit friendliness of the staff and apologies of the horrific conditions, the course should charge us a lot less than what we ended up paying for.

Also, for the top notch resort associated with Greg Norman (Tiburon means shark in Spanish) and Ritz Carlton, they should do everything they can to satisfied their customers. We are beyond disappointment with the Black course conditions.

Commented on 12/08/2016

First off, thank you for spending the day with us and for taking the time to leave such an honest review. We are truly sorry that we did not offer the playing conditions that you expected, and want you to know that we are now better than ever. Troon is now managing the property, we have a new superintendent, and the Gold Course was recently remastered. The Black Course is being remastered next year.

Please email me at rpotts@troon.com so we can discuss your experience further. Thanks again, and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

"Abysmal value"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/28/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Among the most expensive courses in SW Florida at $250 per round. I've seen much better greens on $25 muni courses. Several greens were unplayable. Staff claimed greens were rolling 8 on stimp but true speed likely closer to 6-7 if you had a rare line unobstructed by damage. Charging top dollar for greens this poor is almost criminal. I wouldn't return at any price despite friendly staff and Ritz ambiance. .

Commented on 12/09/2016

First off, thank you for spending the day with us. We are sorry to hear you had a bad experience here. However, since your round, the Gold Course has been remastered and the Black Course is in better shape than ever. We are going to remaster the Black Course next year. Again, we are sorry to hear about your experience, and would like to discuss this with you further. Please email rpotts@troon.com to we can make this right. Thanks again for your support and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

"hwsl"

bardeb's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/08/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

The course was ok, but much less than I expected.

I played last year and it seemed much better then.

I guess for 200.00 I was expecting pristine conditions. The fairways had alot of thin spots and sanded spots on greens. I bragged to my friends all week who were coming to play. They were not impressed and I was eating crow. They want to play Lely Mustang and TPC Treviso next year. Traviso was Awesome for a few 50.00 more. I think 99.00 in season and 59.00 off season would make this course make this course stand out among the medium priced courses, but not in the same leage as Treviso

HWSL

Commented on 12/14/2016

First off, thank you for spending the day with us and for sharing your honest feedback on your experience. However, it sounds like we dropped the ball on a few things. Did you know we recently remastered the Gold Course and plan to remaster the Black Course next year? The LPGA and PGA TOUR players loved it this year during the CME Group Tour Championship and the Franklin Templeton Shootout. Thanks again for your review, and we hope to see you again soon. We want to turn that review from 2 to 5 stars!