Star Ranch Golf Course

• 2500 FM 685, Hutto, Texas 78634
  • www.starranchgolf.com

Year built: 2001
Architect(s): Carter Morrish (2001), Jay Morrish (2001), Roy Bechtol (2001), Randolph P. Russell (2001)
Type: Public
Greens: Bermuda Grass

GPS: Yes

Dress code: Appropriate golf attire.

Tour 71 7017 yards 73.5 130
Champ 71 6341 yards 70.1 117
Preferred 71 5678 yards 67.4 110
Forward (W) 71 4990 yards 68.5 111

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for locals advanced golfers entertaining clients   Challenges include bunkers water hazards elevation changes   Great for drinks brunch watching the game

"stever"

uRCLR6773RC's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/22/2019
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

great greens, good fairways and bunkers. best course around austin

toddolsen's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2019

""Find the right deal and this is worth the trip.""

GordonATX's avatar
Austin Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/02/2019

Pro Tip #1: If you're using Gattis School Rd, then you no longer have to take the SH130 access road and loop back around. Instead, head north at the Muirfield Bend Dr signal light behind the HEB. You're welcome.

Pro Tip #2: If available and as you're able, consider the all-inclusive deal wherein you play in the morning, get breakfast and lunch buffets, and a replay in the afternoon. Now that's a great deal if you can hack it. (See what I did there?)

What's new since I last played here? Development! That 'in the country' course we knew for so long is now being surrounded by neighborhoods booming with new construction. It's no surprise; we knew this was coming all along. I just hadn't played here in upwards of six (6) years. #2 now has houses (in range!) on the right where some of you (ahem) used to lose your ball in the high weeds. There's a new townhouse complex to the right of #7/#8. The houses on the left of #11 and #13 will also make it easier for you to give up on finding your ball (sooner) should you hit it OB. But if you hit that roof just right, it'll bounce back into the rough and/or fairway.

With recent construction in the area, the driving range has gotten a little tighter (maybe) but it's still quite nice. Luckily they built a high berm with cedar/juniper trees on top to knock down that snap hook of yours. The range, the chipping green, the putting green ... all nicely done.

All in all the course was in fine shape. I really love playing in the spring before so many courses burn up in the heat and lack of rain. I noticed a spot or two in/around the greens that needed some help. And while most of the bunkers were lush with soft sand, a few (on the back 9) were packed down with large washout areas and exposed drains. Maybe they just got the worst of a recent rain. Hopefully they were on the maintenance list for the days following our visit. I do have one thing I'd really appreciate the course considering. Aside from the black & white 150 yard pole in the fairway, there are apparently no other yard markers available. Personally, I don't care for the sprinkler head variety as much. What I like are nice big yellow/blue/white/red painted stripes on the cart path. Would that be so hard to do?

I'll end this review on a positive though -- two (2) USB charging ports in the carts! So bring your cable and charge your phone, listen to your music (at a reasonable volume), etc. Enjoy!

"Slooow"

Kfnann's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/02/2019

2hrs 25 minutes to play 9 holes. We quit after 9 due to pace of play. We will find somewhere else to play.

Commented on 05/09/2019

What time did you tee off? I played the morning of 5/2 and it was fine. But there was a small tournament that teed off right around noon or so. Otherwise, my group might've used the free replay that was part of the all-inclusive deal.

"Great Value, Surprisingly good layout"

Jim6515021's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/14/2019
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

I've lived in the Austin area for 20 years and this was the first time playing Star Ranch, i've been missing out. Played from the tips, at just over 7000 but it never felt that long, Not a boring hole on the course but the back nine are all just really good golf holes. Will be back

"Straightforward but Well-Managed"

Chriwluc's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/12/2019

The course itself is a little boring and doesn’t vary much, but pace is well marshaled and the sands are nice and white. Greens are excellent as well and makes for great value

"Always a good course"

Tboneshank's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/19/2019
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Always enjoy playing this course. Always in good shape, people are good and pace is usually good. A little slow today, but not that bad. Will definitely play again.

"Great course"

iu5BvkI08gp7qzikVQJl's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/03/2019
First time playing Used cart Cold weather

Very good course. Staff is friendly. Good clubhouse with good food.

Range and practice green are great. Overall, the greens are the highlight of this course. Everything you want them to be, soft but roll fast and very true. Still winter grass on the fairways. Fairways are pretty wide so you can go after it and even if you miss the fairway you still have a decent look from the rough, it isn't very punitive.

Overall, good course that should attract lots of golfers!

"Great course - slow old men though"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/01/2019

Great course with very friendly staff. Greens in excellent shape. Wide fairways with lots of bunkers. Sand in good shape. Only complaint is we were stuck behind four selfish old men who played too slow and never once offered to let us through. We ended up playing a 5 and a half hour round because of these self centered old guys. There was no one in front of them either. Disappointed the marshal didn’t move them along or make them let us play though. What was a good day on the course was dampened by the pace of play.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/13/2019

"Great course for beginners and scratch golfers alike"

patrickmcmanis's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/03/2019
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

I've played Star Ranch a couple times now and I have to say it's one of my favorite courses in Austin. I found a good deal this time around but usually the fees include cart AND unlimited range time and balls AND breakfast and lunch. If you take advantage of these benefits it's a great deal! The course itself is nice and in good condition all around. The course layout is fun for both good and mediocre golfers as the fairways are generous but require good shot placement to really take advantage of the pin locations. Recommended!

"Hidden Haven"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/12/2019

We were down from Minnesota for a golf trip, found this gem for a hot deal on golf now for $45 on a Friday. Honestly I would’ve paid $75. The course was in great shape, greens were quick but true. Hardly a blemish on all 18 greens. The only thing I could even complain about was the fairways were a little hard in spots. If you are in the Austin area you must play here!!!

officialsamc's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/18/2019

"Pace of Play"

tarock55's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/01/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

I enjoyed my round but the pace of play was slow. There was a group two holes ahead that were really slow and the group in front of us had a five some! how can you keep a pace if there is a five some? I like this course and hated to see this. i will return but if this happens again, i will ask for a refund.

Mike3194950's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/25/2018

"Nice Round"

jbhgolf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/24/2018

We had 7:30 tee time on a cold Saturday morning. $55/ player of on Golffnow, maybe because of the cold weather. This included range balls but not the food.

Course is in really good shape. The tee boxes and greens have been seeded for winter. Really loved the greens. The day warmed up and was a beautiful day for golf. Pace of play was great.

Dremschel's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/20/2018

"Okay design, good shape for Austin area, strange rules"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/03/2018

One of the better courses in the Austin area. Lacks character and has few interesting holes. That said, there was more elevation changes that I expected - which was nice. Greens were good, tee boxes mostly flat, 90% of the bunkers are redone with white sand which was a nice touch.

However, not much sand in them and they weren’t edged well/at all. The ones left undone, well, makes you realize why the others were redone.

Free range balls - good perk.

Best practice facilities I’ve seen in the Austin area. Decent range, plenty of putting and chipping greens.

Club house looked nice from the outside, food and eating area less so. Bathrooms had no soap in the showers or sinks.

On the rules: course was dry but we were told 90 degrees with the carts and certain holes were no carts at all. Those holes seemed no different condition wise.

Fair enough, they care about their course.

We were also told to arrive 8 mins before our tee time to the 1st tee. Strange. We didn’t bother, opting to hit range balls instead. Starter came to find us with 7 mins until our tee time as we are getting in the cart to drive to the 1st tee. Nobody waiting at the 1st tee. Course didn’t seem _that_ busy compared to pretty much everywhere else in Austin.

Was told to try and make it on time next time (by which it was meant 8 mins early). Did ask why we’d need 8 mins at the first tee. Was explained to us, poorly, that they are “pretty bunched up” and “we have a dynamic system” and something about the tee times not actually being the tee times. Who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But as a result we were allowed to tee off a bit early. That was nice, but that much could have been conveyed to us in the proshop - no need for all this 8 mins early madness. Golf needs less rules, not more.

took us 3:50 mins. And we could have certainly done it quicker if we’d have wanted. Course pretty tame, lots of room. Managed to play like a dog despite that though

Saw the marshalls/player assistants a total of about 10 times. They seemed fine. Didnt tell us anything about pace of play.

Overall a positive experience. Would consider coming back again. Not sure I’d rush back, but if you haven’t played here it’s worth a try. And I can see if you’re local it’s definitely a no brainer.

"Fantastic Course"

rabGOLF's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/21/2018

I got a HOT Deal on GolfNow, so the price was stupid cheap, but this was THE best course I have played in Texas not counting 1-2 expensive private clubs as a guest.

The greens were absolutely perfect. Tons of rain for a week prior, so it was like throwing darts, but the greens were smooth, quick and had nice subtle breaks on almost every putt. Very large greens, so if you fail to hit a good approach you could be facing a 60 ft putt.

SO MANY bunkers. The course is fairly wide and does not have many hazards, so the bunkers are very important on this course. Almost every tee has at least one bunker you have to either fly or try to avoid. Even with a lot of rain the bunkers were in good shape. I hit two bunkers and got out nicely.

Fairways were cut tight. I would like a bit more grass, but I cannot complain.

It was just a great course! I hope I can return.

"Great experience"

allergydoc's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2018

The course - outside of renewal of most of the bunkers - was phenomenal. The bunker renewal is a very unique process and the finished result will be beautiful. The buffet looked great and was very inexpensive. I enjoyed my round of golf immensely.