Piper's Heath Golf Club

Green (W) 72 5627 yards 72.8 128

"A pleasant surprise!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/18/2018
First time playing Used cart

Course was in excellent shape, somewhat challenging but fair, way more interesting than expected, easy to drive to off the 407, friendly staff and good food. Cheaper if you tee off before 9:00am.

"Marshalls push unnecessary"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2016

After hitting most of our practice balls, we were asked if we wanted to tee off earlier in the morning as there was nobody golfing at that moment and so we said sure.

Our cart battery was obviously not charged, as we had to call in to have new one brought out to us on the 2nd or 3rd hole. Shortly after that, we had a Marshall stop to tell us to pick up our pace, despite not seeing anyone in front or behind us.

The same Marshall stopped us again to say "play faster" even tho nobody behind us. Another different Marshall stopped us on the back 9 for the same reason. After explaining the slow cart, that we had bought 3 drinks each from the cart girl, and nobody even seen behind us during entire game, the Marshall said we were a twosome, and should be faster and that's what he is told to do. My buddy said, you guys slow us down every time you stop us, and we didn't even stop for lunch at halfway house at hole 10. Just curious, How behind are we? His response was "6 minutes" !!!!!!!!! Unbelievable. We could understand if anyone behind you is unnecessarily being held up, but this course has way too many marshalls, with their earpieces, clipboards of expected next hole tee offs, so if you like to be harassed while trying to have a fun game of golf, this is the course for you.

"Potential squandered - slow round, odd course"

WDM1980's avatar
Ontario Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/18/2016
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

Piper's Heath has an amazing location very close to downtown and next to the suburbs. It wasn't a forested area or one with any elevation change, so they made a heath-lands-style course (don't call it links - it's not). It was a great idea. Then they ruined it.

The over-all layout is decent - challenging but occasionally forgiving. It's fair and fun, but can also kick your backside for wayward shots. The back nine opens and closes with obnoxiously long par 5s. In the middle, an interesting mix of holes, including another long par 5. They need a set of tees between the white and blue - blues are too long for most and whites take too much of the challenge away.

The conditioning is always green and lush - far too green and far too lush. In the midst of a long period of no rain - part of the driest summer on record - the course remains spongy and green. It just doesn't seem right - out of place when most grass everywhere is brownish that this course should be excessively soft as if it had rained every day for a month. A heath-land / "links-style" course should be firm and fast. My drives were leaving pitch marks in the fairways and a ball landing short of the green would never bounce on as you get in real links. It's a "links-style" course that doesn't play like one - very odd.

The pace slow. It's just plain bad. If a group is slow, they'll be asked to hurry along, but that's all. The course has excellent customer service to a fault - they never want to upset anyone. So, they won't tell you to pickup and move on because you're 2 holes behind and irritating everyone else on the course. During one round there, the course attendant told us that this one group was slow - they were behind on the front and asked to speed up, then took 10 minutes a the turn, and by 14 were 2.5 holes behind. All they had done was "ask them to hurry along." The cost of that excessive niceness was to irritate all other players on the course. You'd think the mornings would be better; unfortunately, they run double tees; so, the crossovers get messed up and the 8:00 tee off can end up behind the 10:00 tee off - meaning they all get the 4.5-5 hour round, minimum.

Drive another 10-15 minutes and you'll save yourself an hour on the course.

"Impressed"

BLHipgrave's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/23/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Just a great time had at Piper's Heath. My wife and I arrived with a play and lunch coupon certificate with range. Personal and courteous check-in with no hassle.

The course was in good shape and the greens for spring rolled very true.

Excellent meal afterwards capped off a terrific holiday weekend.

Highly recommended.

"Great course!"

wjwj1979's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/24/2015
Previously played Paired up at course Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I play this course maybe 3 times a year as it's a bit pricey for me to play on a regular basis. However, relative to GTA golf prices, Piper's Heath has great value.

I find the course conditions are always fantastic. Only the one time the greens had recently been aerated, but they've gotta do it once in a while.

The real challenge for me at this course is the tee shot; if you can keep yourself in the fairway, great, but otherwise you have a good chance of losing your ball in long grass. Wind is a huge factor here because of this. It can be quite windy here and if it is, keeping the driver in the fairway can be very difficult (for me anyway#.

My favourite aspect of this course is that the green areas are pretty huge, so you can wail away at your approach and go for every green without worrying too much about losing your ball. You may have quite a challenging up and down if you miss the green, but at least you'll have a shot. There's only two holes #7 and 14) where you may end up in water right if you get loose with your approach shot. Otherwise I go for every green.

The course also has a great selection of tee boxes so it can accommodate very short to very long hitters. If the wind is really blowing it's nice to be able play significantly forward otherwise I'd have no chance on some of the longer holes.

"Excellent golf course"

Jin1167176's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/24/2015
First time playing Excellent weather

Played there for the first time and absolutely fell in love with the course. The maintenance was superior, I was especially impressed with the greens. Staffs were very friendly and the marshalls were doing an excellent job. It's now one of my favorite courses in the GTA and definitely looking forward to coming back!

"A "diamond in the rough" for the GTA"

Jason7076032's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/28/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Great Golf course and a secret gem for the GTA.
This course is great for all levels of golfers and each season the course conditions get better and better.

Again, pace of play is challenging on weekends - however, marshalls do a good job pushing slow groups.

I love this course and is on my top 10 courses in the GTA list & have been lucky enough to have played it several times.

Highly recommended with great value.