Carts: Yes - $12

US Open 66 4206 yards 60.6 100
PGA 66 3836 yards 59.5 98
Amateur 66 3382 yards 58.2 95
Amateur (W) 66 3382 yards 58.8 99

The Tattersall Youth Development Center at The First Tee Chesterfield Golf Course, as well as the First Tee of Richmond, was established to provide educational golf programs for junior players. This comprehensive learning facility includes an 18-hole golf course, a three-hole practice loop, a large grass practice tee, a putting green, and a short-game practice area. There's also a staff of qualified coaches and golf instructors that can help you improve your score no matter what your weakness is. As a learning course, it might not be what low handicappers are looking for if they want a challenge, but it's a perfect place for beginners and high handicappers to get some practice with the game. The layout is very forgiving with wide-open fairways that offer plenty of room. The greens are fast and sometimes framed with bunkers. There are several par-3 holes that will give you a chance to work on your short game.

Location is convenient to the city in the 'burbs   Great for beginners walkers seniors   Challenges include bunkers elevation changes

"A Fine Day!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/21/2019

Played 18 holes, with 2 other golfing buddies, and we had a nice day. Some wet spots, and water collection areas, but they did not affect the playing area.

"Good Date/Planning Calendar Book"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2019

Rate was a little higher than what I was used to. The golf course was find. Two of us played 18 holes in under 3 hours

"Always Pleasurable"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/02/2019

I'm 71 years old, and the 3800 yard length of this course, is perfect for me. I get just enough exercise, without wearing me out. Me and my buddy can get through 18 holes in 3 hours or less. The greens are in good shape, as are most of the sand traps. The fairway is growing in fine, and the only thing that bothers me, is very long and deep rough, around some of the greens. Overall, a great little golf course.

dsjcma's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2019

"A Blessing"

vfrankli's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/11/2019
Previously played Used cart Verified Purchaser

This course is very close to my home, easy to play, and large enough to enable my use of all my clubs. It is also challenging enough to maintain my golf skills. I am a senior and I really don't want my local course to be a struggle. It's just right!

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/30/2019

"odd"

bushey3577's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/10/2019

course was in decent shape for all the rain we ha had durong the past month but had sprayed wettong agent in greens and aroind geens qas very soggy

"great training"

bushey3577's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/06/2018

this is a great beginner's course easy to scoreow kf short game is on point half course is par 3s so gotta be on point with short game

"Good course for the price"

u206595301's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/14/2018

The course is rather challenging and the fairways were in good shape. The greens were a little tattered but this was mainly due to players not fixing divots. Overall, it is good value for a round of golf

"Poor service"

daniel4050658's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2018

I came to course after bookings 950 am tee time for 18 holes. I arrived at 920 to warm up. I stood at the counter for 20 minutes as no one was inside. All the staff was out back doing other things. Once someone came inside I was told we that they had an event in the afternoon so I could only play 9 holes. I was told that there was no way for the course to indicate this on golf now reservations. I have played this course over 30 times in the past and the staff has normally been ok. I am a member at a near by club and like to play this course to work on items in my game. I will NOT return to this course as I felt like I was interuppting the staff and they were not concerned about finding a way to make this right.

"A Great Junior Course For All Ages"

Back9Ben's avatar
Virginia Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2018
First time playing Walked Perfect weather Verified Purchaser

Tucked away in a recreational park of North Chesterfield, this course offers 18 short holes that are fun for the whole family. Although it’s geared towards developing the First Tee youth golf program, I didn’t find this course a total push-over when played from the tips. Combine that with a relatively good value and decent conditions compared with other local courses and this could very well become my go-to course for working out the kinks or just scratching that golf itch.

The par-66 course measure just 4700 yards but don’t expect to be birdieing every hole. The layout is more interesting and diverse than the short par-3 course at Independence or those at Windy Hill for about the same price. The greens may not be as fast or smooth as Independence but overall they keep the course well-maintained, and right now it’s in noticeably better shape than nearby Providence GC and costs a lot less too. Being an instruction-focused facility, there are some really nice practice areas here too and pace of play is very good as you’d expect.

I would definitely recommend this course for someone just looking to bone up on their game without spending a lot of money, it’s a fun little course.

"Great little course"

Tom6595575's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2018
Previously played Walked Perfect weather Verified Purchaser

Any course that does as much as this one does for kids needs support, and any time in Va. I will be back to play again

"Good Learning Course"

vclark511's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/28/2018

Went to play this course while visiting my son. He hadn't played in over year so wanted to go somewhere where he could enjoy himself. This course has an abundance of par 3s and the par 5s are actually just long par 4s. Fairly easy course as it is a teaching facility. Greens are exceptionally fast and don't hold very well. Was disappointed that there is no alcohol on premises as it caters to minors. Fun outing for players who are timid about playing with experienced players. If you're looking for a challenge wouldn't choose this course, but a nice experience all the same.

"Tattersall Golf Outing"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/18/2017

Staff was freiendly, Course was nice and enjoyed playing it for the first time.

Commented on 12/31/2017

Thank you for your review! We look forward to having you out again in the near future!

"The greens are TOOOO Fast"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/13/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Got stuck behind 2 groups of walkers that werent letting us play through, was told to wait 40 mins before starting. the play speed was slow until they got out the way guessing they were on a shotgun play. The greens were way too fast putter head only moved about 4 inches and the ball went 10 feet.

Commented on 12/31/2017

We're sorry you didn't have a great experience at our course. It appears you played on a Wednesday, which is our Senior League day, which probably explains the wait. We strive to get players on the course as soon as possible after the league, and we apologize if we got it wrong this time. We hope you'll give us another chance to earn your business and show you a great golf experience!

"Great Course, Poor Staff Friendliness"

JRW215's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/07/2017

I really enjoyed playing this course a lot and had a lot of fun doing it. The greens were fun to putt on and a bit challenging for a beginner like myself. My only problem with this course was the staff friendliness. One of the staff members was really awesome and even let me play a few extra holes after the designated "cart return time" and i really appreciated that. However upon walking into the pro shop the man behind the desk was deep in conversation with somebody and did not even acknowledge me, After about five minutes of standing around and browsing I just stood and waited, finally he decided to ask if needed anything and I said " yes id like to play 18 holes and warm up with a bag." He started doing his thing and then i asked "Do you have any discounts for military or veterans?" The mans response made me quite angry for he had such a bad attitude that i would even ask about a discount on twilight hours. he shook his head in disgust and after that question treated me like a complete and total moron, not being able to hide his need to get back to conversing with the man standing behind me at the counter. Further more upon finishing my warm up and heading to the starter shack, the starter was quite rude and had a cigarette blazing as i was trying to talk to her. She seemed angry I was trying to play 18 holes at 5:00pm and proceeded to have a bad attitude about where the first tee was.

I really liked this course, it was super pretty, warm up areas are on point, greens roll nice, and tee boxes are in good shape. my only problem is the staff. Seriously just lighten up a bit, and be nicer to your customers. I would rate this Five stars if they treated patrons with genuine courtesy and respect.

Commented on 12/31/2017

We would like to apologize for your poor experience with our staff here at The Tattersall Youth Development Center at The First Tee Chesterfield Golf Course. We pride ourselves on offering friendly and inclusive customer service at all times, but we must have let our guard down here. Your feedback has been noted and the appropriate staff members have been made aware so that this will not be repeated. Thank you for your feedback - it allows us to get better every day!

Hiram3495183's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/28/2017

This is a great course for players that are new to the game. The lay out is geared more towards younger players with a lot of short holes. It plays a lot like an executive course.

"Short but fun"

Speedblade54's avatar
Virginia Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/17/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Great course for beginners, walkers and very good instructional facility. Overall course in good shape . Look for hot deals on golfnow and can be very affordable. Always play short, any trouble around greens is long.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Standard Muni"

xplag's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/16/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

I've been to First Tee of Chesterfield several times, and my experience has been pretty similar each time. The course has a good layout, and tee boxes and fairways are well kept. But greens leave a lot to be desired as people don't fix their ball marks, so there are pockmarks all along the green. Also, its possible to get stuck being extremely slow golfers who won't allow you to play through, so be prepared to skip a hole or two if you like to keep up pace of play. Other than this, staff are very friendly, course is fun, and the price makes it all worth your while.

"Good beginner course for youth"

kparks12's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/16/2015

Course not in the greatest shape. Bunker rough terrible shape. Greens fair, but extremely wet and slow, despite minimal rain over last few days. Over watering? Young staff in clubhouse very professional and helpful. Rates steep for overall experience. Was disappointed when I was informed GolfNow rate was actually more than twilight rate. The gave me the twilight rate, but only after GolfNow collected their fee.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

Commented on 12/31/2017

Thank you for your thoughts. Your feedback has been logged and we will use it to continually improve the experience we offer our patrons!