Atlantic Dunes at Sea Pines Resort

• 100 N. Sea Pines Dr., Hilton Head Island, South Carolina 29928, Beaufort County
  • (843) 842-8484, (843) 842-1477
  • www.seapines.com

Year built: 2016
Architect(s): Davis Love III (2016), Mark Love (2016)
Type: Resort

Orange 72 3924 yards 61.1 106

"Great Overall"

agwade89's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2019

Very well maintained golf course (almost as nice as Harbour Town) and some very fun / challenging holes. Of course, the postcard-worthy 15th hole certainly adds to the experience.

Pace of play was pretty poor. We waited on every hole from the get-go and finished just over 5 hours.

"Mostly Excellent"

CfjeWlHn8FGChBtzqKgX's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/07/2019
First time playing Used cart

With one exception, my experience playing Atlantic Dunes was quite enjoyable. The condition was excellent. The employees were top notch. I was quite impressed with the layout. But in my opinion, the physical shape of many bunkers should be changed. Too many bunkers have much too steep of faces, especially fairway bunkers. The condition is inappropriate for this resort course. There is no need for it. I spoke with the starter, and the course ranger several times during the rather slow round. We waited on most shots. Each told me there is a slow play problem on the course. Also, the ranger told me that there are some players who only play a few times annually who struggle with this course. I imagine that these bunkers contribute to the slow play and struggles. My playing partners hit far too many bunker shots into the banks, and eventually picked up the ball not being able to get out. A modification here should speed up play and cause an even higher rating for this wonderful facility.

"Best Course of our Trip!"

reedyt's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2019

Atlantic Dunes is an awesome course. We played six courses on our trip, and this was definitely the best one. It was in perfect shape despite how dry it has been in Hilton Head. Almost every other course we played had issues with their their fairways or greens, but Atlantic Dunes had neither.

The layout is great as well. There are some tough holes with plenty of water to find. If you are struggling with ball striking, you will find trouble. None of the holes are unfair or tricked up, simply difficult.

Overall, the price tag is higher than most courses in Hilton Head, but it is probably the nicest course around that the public can get on.

Stephen9979134's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/05/2019

"Perfect complement to Harbour Town"

MikeBaileyGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/05/2018

One of three courses open to the public at The Sea Pines Resort, Atlantic Dunes by Davis Love III is pretty dazzling. Unlike Harbour Town, the greens at Altantic Dunes are quite large, so the targets are inviting, but you still have to avoid water on much of the course. Fortunately, there are lots of options on many of the holes, including forward tees that avoid the forced carries. While much is made of the par-3 15th, one of just two true Atlantic Ocean holes on Hilton Head Island, the rest of the course is anything but boring. The front nine ends with an outstanding par 5 that features a terrific risk-reward opportunity. And the back nine ends with dazzling stretch of finishing holes, including the difficult 18th with water along the right side. Add well-thought out and very playable bunkers to the mix and outstanding conditions, and Atlantic Dunes comes in at five stars.

"Good Course"

Peter7631233's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/10/2018

Very much enjoyed playing the course. Have played this course for years and this is the nicest it’s ever been. Love did a great job with the redo. Definitely recommend it.

"One of My Favorite Courses"

Cardinals1593's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/02/2018

Pristine conditions, every hole feels like a beautiful walk through nature. Awesome staff and facilities, get there early to experience it all. I played the old Ocean Course a few times before and loved it but now it's on another level after the rebuild, a professional feeling course in the best location. Hilton Head and Sea Pines is my favorite place to visit in the US, a perfect setting for a golf course like this.

Pace of play was great, my wife and I played just after 1:00 and played the front 9 in an hour and a half, but took more time on the back just to relax take it in. I feel like I could play here every day if I lived in the area and could afford it (retirement goals).

We got a rate of $110 because I bundled into a 2 round package with Harbour Town. It would be tough to pay the $185 morning rate or $155 afternoon rate so I hope they can keep the course more affordable for the next time I visit. Thanks for the great experience!

"spectacular"

michaelganovski's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/01/2018
First time playing Walked Hot weather

just an amazing course - all of it, from design to conditions. greens, rough, sand traps, tee box's - just immaculate. Can't wait to come back. Very challenging. But no complaints - it was fair, i just stink!

"Great course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/28/2018

The course was in the best shape of any other that I played all week on the island. Could not have been any better. Thanks

bkscobo's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/15/2018

"Great Sea Pines course"

rathke's avatar
Arizona Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/21/2018

First time playing this course. Course in excellent shape from tee to green. Greens were medium fast very smooth and had lots of slope and levels. Got stuck behind a slow foursome on the front nine but they quit after nine so the back nine went very quickly. Best holes on the course are the last 4. Would recommend playing at least once but I would look for a deal since it can get pricy in season.

"Classic coastal layout"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/31/2017

DL3 pays homage to Pete Dye with the hard edge bulkhead around ponds. Greens are massive.

Finishing holes are visually stunning.

Challenging but plenty of room to place your shots.

"Amendment to review"

1bjoyner's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/31/2017

I would like to amend my earlier review from 10-31-17. We brought our concerns to the director of golf (Mr. Downs), and he listened fairly and responded appropriately. While I recommend calling before playing over the next few weeks, I have confidence that if you speak with Mr Downs, you will be treated fairly and receive straight answers. And I repeat - the layout is beautiful.

"First time playing Atlantic Dunes at Sea Pines Resort"

lobbyvol's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/03/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

A fantastic golf experience! Atlantic Dunes at Sea Pines Resort in Hilton Head, SC was a first rate experience from the range to the course to the 19th hole meal and beers at the clubhouse. It rained the entire day before our round at Atlantic Dunes, but the course played like it had been dry the day before. This course is in excellent shape right now and was very challenging, but fun for a beginner golfer like me. My father in law and I played as a twosome and the pace of play was excellent throughout our entire round. The course had just been through some maintenance but the greens were still in very good condition. Lots of sand on this course and I managed to find most of it, but still had a great time. Great practice facilities and a wonderful clubhouse made for an excellent overall experience. I will definitely play Atlantic Dunes again the next time I'm at Sea Pines.

"Perfection!"

Filthy20's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/27/2017

Beautiful. Not the hardest, or best, or whatever you want to say - but it was gorgeous and a lot of fun to play! This place is first class inside and out. I'm looking forward to next years trip!

"A+ Atlantic Dunes!"

Cristian3237750's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/25/2017

The old Ocean Course Sea Pines has always been a classic but the redesign has actually improved one of the best courses on HHI. Conditions were A+ - like country club, pro tournament A+ . Tees, fairways, rough, waste areas, bunkers, and greens all perfect. Really. Great playable layout wont kill you like Harbor Town (even though also great) will. Facilities are also top notch here with a beautiful clubhouse, locker rooms, restaurant, etc. Honestly just a great experience. The only negative is the lack of GPS on the carts which for the $$$ to play here you should have. Other than that, A+ Atlantic Dunes keep up the great work! Will definitely return!

"Better than it was"

BostonGolfTraveler's avatar
Boston Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/24/2017

I must say that even though to the naked eye you don't readily see a ton of changes on the front side, Davis Love III did a great job redesigning the old Ocean Course. You really see changes on the back nine like the change of # 10 becoming a par 3 over water and 11 turned into a short par 4. The bunkering and the new green complexes are spectacular. I would highly recommend you put this course on your itinerary to Hilton Head.

"Harder"

Ben7920813's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/30/2017

Played the old Ocean Course many times, I like most of the improvements. Some of the new greens are 'gimicky' with big mounds in middle. New #10 is good. From the back tee, all the par 3's are roughly same yardage which in my opinion is poor design...more variety would be nice. Last 4 holes are awesome. Nats were the worst ever. Facilities first class. Great walking course, just be careful of play behind you when you're walking to or playing from the tee. New bunkers look great.

"GPC & HJK Road Trip"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2017

Course not very appealing. Tee boxes, greens & fairways very dry. Course layout not interesting or enjoyable.

"Poor course info"

mcpeen's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/19/2017

POSITIVE :Nice layout. Greens very nice and ver fast. Staff was very friendly. Lots of bunkers. Nice driving range and practice facilities.

NEGATIVE: This was the first time everyone in our group playing this course. For the rate they charge, there is no GPS...no picture of the course on the scorecard......no even a picture of each hole on each hole marker........had no idea where a good spot to hit it on each hole. Some blind tee shots.....I find that ridiculous there is at least no picture.........for first timer it was very frustrating. There also was a 3some appear in front of us on the 10th fairway when we came to the tee......and they were walking! They let us play through after 3 holes........but still never should happen. We were right behind the group in front of us. Course was a little dry in the fairways and tee blocks, but they hadn't had much rain lately.