Baylands Golf Links

• (650) 856-7484, (650) 496-5925
  • baylandsgolflinks.com
Write Review

Year built: 2018
Architect(s): Forrest Richardson (2018)
Type: Public/Municipal

Green (W) 71 4821 yards 68.2 114

"wow"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/08/2019
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

What a great fun course. You control difficulty by choosing the tees. We chose white as we wanted to enjoy a course we had never played and we aren't much longer than 200 yards on most drives. Really beautiful links style course with wide fairways, true greens and bunkers with actual sand in them. I thought I couldn't play out of bunkers anymore because I've been playing courses who don't tend them. Not Baylands. Nice fluffy lies. The wind was pretty constant at 15MPH...not enough to make the round torturous...but if you don't strike it well, the wind will play with it. Round was around 4 1/2 and bogged down around 15...but candidly...didn't bother me...my back may have had a different opinion. I loved the round...fun, challenging, great staff. we will be back.

Andrew3543501's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2019

"BAYLANDS"

jdickerson21s's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2019

Staff was great and the two guys we played with were lot of fun, regulars. The tee boxes and greens were very good, the fairways need some work. Bunkers were good, sand was a little thick. Might play again sometime. Price was a little high at 85 bucks. Probably a 50 dollar course.

"Baylands maturing nicely"

JasonDeeganGA's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2019
Previously played Walked Perfect weather

This was my first return visit to Baylands since attending the grand opening last spring following Forrest Richardson's redesign. The course has matured nicely. The fairways were green from recent rains, yet firming up to give golfers the firm and fast conditions the architect wants. And the native grasses that line the wide fairways are growing longer and getting thicker, providing the proper punishment should you miss a shot and also adding to the beauty of the landscape.

The only thing missing at Baylands is combo tees, because the blacks/tips at 6,700 yards are too long for most golfers and the 6,112-yard blue tees are a tad short. I almost felt guilty shooting 82, one of my lowest rounds in a while, and I didn't even play that well. However, I realize we did get lucky with no wind, which is a major defense of the course, especially when the afternoon breeze off the bay picks up steam. A 6,400-yard combo tee setup would be ideal. It's a great walk and good fun, especially around the intricate greens, no matter what tees you play.

"Feels like The British Open.....Great Layout and Experience!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/03/2019
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

I play 2-3x per week at Cinnabar Hills, this was a great changeup and delightful experience.

i approach the first tee and it feels like I am at Carnoustie or Chambers Bay. The entire airways is all bermuda with the extremely firm greens all bentrgrass. Greens have literally no divots of spike marks in them, very firm running at 9/5-10 (yes I brought my stimpmeter).

I left the driver in the bag and played my 3-wood and 17 degree hybrid off all the tee's. If you have a stinger in your bag and love hitting low bleeders, each tee box presents great opportunities to play those shots.

Side Note: Ben at the bar is a boss, really enjoyed his presence and hop-knowledge. They have fresh-baked cookies inside the pro-shop when you pay your green fee's, who can be mad at that?

hdankim's avatar

"Excellent course"

phillylu24's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/20/2018
First time playing Walked Perfect weather Verified Purchaser

Baylands is a very good course with challenging holes. It is not long but plays a bit long because of wind and hazards. The course is in excellent condition especially for a public course. It is not cheap but a good value.

"Upgrade!"

Evora's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/24/2018
First time playing Walked Windy weather

This is a great upgrade from the dog track called Palo Alto Muni. Baylands is a very similar layout but so much more fun. Still windy in the afternoons and very busy but great golf experience for 40 bucks. The greens are in great shape. Green complexes are interesting but not over the top. The bunkers still need to settle but I was very pleased with the overall conditions of the fairways and tee boxes.

"Overpriced"

ScratchGolfinMike's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/21/2018

Good course conditions- it’s new. Full of hackers tho, and also nobody plays fast. The staff is SUPER pretentious, all hackers too I’ve played with some or watched. I suggest playing 7am for fast pace. It took 6 hours Saturday. And I’m a +1 HC hitting all greens and FIR. Ppl here are beginning golf every time.

"Needs water!"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/05/2018

They need to water this course. The greens are so firm balls don’t land softly, yet roll so slow. There was construction the entire time on the back nine. I also chipped my 60 degree wedge because of the rocks in the rough. Very disappointed for $85 green fee.

"Fun"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2018

I played the course about 10days ago. Right away, I want to come back and play it again. The course conditions are perfect. And the price is awesome. Great value. I love the green most it's tricky But , it rolls good. . I had so much fun. Guess I will be back

"Great course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2018

First time play Baylands. The course Wowed me. The afternoon wind definitely makes the course more challenging ( glad we played white) the conditions are like PGA tournament setting. Green are so much fun ( tricky ) at the beginning we have no idea where to go. But, after few holes we just kept going. Will definitely Come back for another round.

"Fun track"

Wooltron's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/30/2018

Played this course for the first time since the remodel, and I was pleased with the new look. I had read a few reviews that said the grass was really fluffy, but I didn't really notice it being an issue. What was an issue was the wind, but that's to be expected with an afternoon round near the bay. Hit one drive through the green on a par 4 that said 342 on the card downwind, then hit 3 wood on a 200 yard par 3 into the wind and came up a good 25 yards short. I'd recommend playing in the morning, but it probably isn't a course layout that justifies the 110 dollar price tag. It's in great shape though an is worth trying out if you can grab a good deal.

"Fantastic Layout with 2/3 Weird Greens"

MSaadS's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2018
First time playing Walked Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Very nice layout. Fair and well thought out with respect to prevailing wind patters. There are two to three greens which have "hills" within the green that simply seem to waste real estate. Those areas of the green are of no use. Overall, the course is fun to play with the new course feel. Fairways are wavy and fun. Hazards seem like they are meant to change with the weather. We paid $63 to play which is fair and welcoming. $111...wont be.

Well done and welcome back Baylands/Palo Alto Muni.

"Improved track"

EndZona's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/16/2018

The Bayland redesign is definitely an upgrade from the old Palo Alto Muni. The greens were a little slow, but pure (both of which you’d expect on new greens that they’re still trying to protect). The pace of play was brutal (over 5 hours, though the issue was exacerbated playing in a twosome sandwiched between foursomes). The front desk guy and Marshall on the first tee were super friendly (though the same Marshall didn’t show up again until the 18th hole — when he talked to my 10-year-old son about taking a Mulligan from the fairway of our last hole after we’d waited on every shot since the first tee...I get where he’s coming from, but I felt like he should be apologizing to us for not keeping things moving in front of us instead of scolding us for for holding up the group behind us for one shot). The layout is a little bland, but overall I’d say it’s one of the best options available to the public on the San Francisco Peninsula.

"Overpriced but nice"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2018

The totally new Baylands course has wide fairways but lots of rolling and even hilly ground. The white tees are less than 5500 yards and the blue tees are 6100 or so, but include two par 3s that are over 200 yards into a prevailing wind. Some well hit shots hitting the fairway can get funneled by the rolling terrain right into the weedy waste areas. The grass is spongy so for now there's not much fairway roll. I had a good time on a moderately challenging layout, but come on!!! The pricing is unreasonable. As a senior who always plays during the week and likes to walk, the cheapest I can get on is $47, and that's only after buying a links card for $99 that's good for the next 6 months. I can walk Shoreline for $31, Sunnyvale for $27, Moffett and Poplar for $38 and even Crystal Springs with a cart Mon -Wed for only $39. I hope someone from Baylands and the city of Palo Alto are paying attention to this review. I play every week and can only see myself playing Baylands 6-8 times a year at the current "flexible" (i.e. exorbitant) prices.

"First round at Baylands!"

davidfleser's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2018

Having played Palo Alto Muni several times in the past I knew this would be a better experience but how much better was the question. I was very pleased with the practice areas, the course layout and the quality of the greens! I liken the greens to TPC Stonebrae.....many undulations and some crazy places for possible pin positions. The first time playing was a little confusing on some holes, just not quite sure how the hole was laid out and next time I’ll do some things different. But it was worth driving 1 hour mid morning and I’ll be doing it again!!

"Nice"

u000003420662's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2018

Had a great day. Staff was very friendly and nice. Course is in great shape although just open for a couple of weeks. Real nice job on the remodel, tee boxs perfect. Greens are a 10 running a little slow. Can't wait to play again.

"Not same old Palo Alto Muni"

Lawrence2656615's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/09/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

A few of the holes, like 1,7, and 9, follow the same route as the old Muni, but other than that, it is completely different. It has a links feel with very few trees. The greens are very challenging, with most having several distinct sections separated by 3-4 foot drops. Very difficult to read putts. Two of the par 3's are over 230 yards, and the last one played INTO a 30 mph wind. The fairways are pretty wide open overall, but there is hidden trouble on a few holes, so checkout the flyovers on the website.

Range is the same astro turf as before, but there is a really nice practice area on the right of the range, where the old #10 used to be.