San Jose Municipal Golf Course

Black (W) 72 6304 yards 75.6 125
Silver 72 5568 yards 65.9 112
Silver (W) 72 5568 yards 71.5 116
Orange (W) 72 4200 yards 63.4 103

"Once a Muni, always a Muni"

sharks90's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2019

This old course is the same as it was 50 years ago. The weeds overtake the rough, the bunkers have more rocks than sand, and no one fixes their ball marks. The on-course restrooms are not placed at the right holes and there are zero ice water stations - only dirty old water fountains. However, it’s the only track in that part of SJ...

JoeEnriquez3's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2019

"Fairways Rolling!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/16/2019

First time back after the soggy few weeks the bay area had with storms. Course has recovered nicely with lush green. Played twilight round and finished in 3 hours 30 minutes! Drives on the fairway will be rewarded with about 10-20 yards of roll! Fairways are mowed and looking the best I've seen it! Greens are fast, but would be much better if players repaired ball marks. Too many marks not fixed on most of the greens. Overall it was awesome for twilight. Will be back soon.

"Length of grass"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/16/2019

My only complaint is that they need to trim the grass. For 70 bucks it often felt like I was hitting out of the rough while being in the fairway. And if you hit into the rough good luck finding your ball. Aside from that conditions were great. Never ran into anything muddy or super soggy.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/15/2018

We were first off the tee so pace was great, played well and met two other gentleman who were just pleasant to play with, great time ,thanks for the help tee off. Com

"A below average golf course"

jdiamond7's avatar
California Advisor

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/18/2018
First time playing Walked Hot weather

I think golf courses should be judged relative to other courses. San Jose Municipal is a fair course at an honest price point, and it serves its purpose well, but it's not a particularly interesting or well kept course. However, it's a 2 star course at best.

The course is extremely flat, the bunkers rarely come into play on tee shots for drives in the 280 yard range. The holes are all about similar lengths, so you don't very much club variety. The fairways aren't very well kept, and the greens are very slow. In contrast, I walked the US Amateur yesterday, and I'm fairly confident that the fairways at Pebble Beach were cut shorter than the greens at SJ Muni.

I won't be back to this course.

"Good track for a muni"

fcedar's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/07/2018

Course was in good shape, greens fairly true. Pace of play can be a problem here on weekends, but we got lucky and finished in four hours. This is not a difficult course, I typically score better here than other courses. Most fairways are generous and not a lot of trouble. Four dogleg rights and only one left. Very good bar and grille and large practice facility.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2018

"Mid week fun"

atwkthc's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/06/2018

Great course for the money. Pace can be a little slow at times but where is this not true? Great bar, decent food. Wish they had better seating for after waking 18.

"Horrible Pace of play"

Mitch47's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2018

I don’t mind being at the golf course for a while but this was a 6 Hour round of golf!!!! No marshals at all. The two groups in front of me joined up and became a 5Some!!! Horrible

I called the clubhouse and no one made an effort to speed them up. Horrible!!!

The course is an OLD MUNICIPAL Course that is in horrible shape. Most sand bunkers had not been raked for a VERY LONG time. Literally were like cement. The greens were extremely chewed up. So many in repaired divots it was sad.

But 6 hours!!!

Do not play here!!!!! Horrible

Commented on 09/19/2018

Mitch,

Thanks for playing SJ Muni again in August and September after you recommended to Golf Advisor readers that they should not play here. Please let us know what it was that has made you come back.

SJMuni

Commented on 06/04/2018

Sorry San Jose Muni did not live up to your expectations. Ball marks on greens are a constant maintenance issue when players don't take the responsibility to repair their marks. San Jose Muni is enjoyed by more than 80,000 rounds per year and no it is not in the condition of Pebble Beach Golf Links but according to Yelp and Google reviews it is more than just an average Municipal Golf Course. Certainly not HORRIBLE!

"Average Course"

Mitch47's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/19/2018

I’m a very good weekend golfer. I practice a lot and usually play on weekends. This course is at best below average. Pace of play was slow but there was never a back up. Just slow walking groups. Fairways were just barely average to play. Tee boxes are lumpy and uneven Old and worn out and need to be redone as I had to tee up Very carefully on almost all of the tee boxes to make sure I was not getting an uneven downhill slope with my driver in my hands.

The greens were not in good shape. EXTREMELY BUMPY!!! Very slow!!!! A lot of unrepaired divots from many previous players, (I repaired 2 or 3 extra divots on every hole during my round just to clean up and help others). When putting - ALL putts the ball wondered off off my intended putting line!!! The holes were cut poorly and ALL looked like a volcano at the hole. Obviously didn’t roll the hole flat after cutting the hole. Putts would turn at the hole because of the big slopes around the hole because of the poor maintenance when the hole cut and pulled!!!!

I got what I expected when I played at San Jose Municipal golf course. Very nice staff!!!!! Below average OLDER course maintained to be just playable fairways with TERRIBLE GREENS!!!!

I played very well and shot a 78, my irons were very good (13 of 18 greens) but I missed many putts that HOPPED offline or turned at the hole as the ball was going in the cup.

I’m a very good weekend golfer and I practice many hours a week and I want to play on greens that are well kept!!! These are not well kept.

You definitely need to shoot good irons into the greens so that you can have short putts to keep your score low. Long lag putts are extremely difficult to gauge and at best your just looking to get your two putt and get on to the next hole.

Very poorly kept Greens!!! Bent grass greens need to be cut shorter and holes need to be rolled after cutting and placing them each day.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2018

"Friendly showers on the course"

OC7720's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/03/2018

I checked in and around 4 on my two time was at 4 we played about 11 holes even though it poured sparingly in the beginning I got to say I had a good time and the bartender I forget her name but she was very nice and pleasant because she even stayed a little late so I can get my beverages. From the last time I been there I got turned off by an incident that happened at the front desk but playing there again made it all worth it so I will say this so I would recommend it if you're just looking to play and don't mind if you hit it why because it's easy to find your ball and it's always Pleasant to play at San Jose Muni

"Great winter conditions"

TwilightRates's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/06/2016
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Poor weather

First time playing here. Played twilight so zero crowds.

The practice facility is awesome. Two teirs. Only trackman in south bay (from what I hear, but I know golfsmith in San Jose has them too). The pro shop is pretty well stocked for just a golf course pro shop, but when you have mega stores like Golfsmith just a 10 min drive away I don't know why you'd come here for clubs unless you are either getting a discount or you need to buy one for your round.

The restaurant staff was very friendly. The Turkey Chili behind the bar was amazing. I had two servings. And I don't like chili if that means anything.

For a rainy day and during a drought year the course was in much better condition than other courses in the area. There were plenty of puddles on the fairway but that just means there's good undulations in the fairway and its not as "flat" as other muni courses. The greens are well kept.

Bottom line if you can get a twilight rate this course is well worth it. I hear the course charges in the 60's for weekend peak hours. To be honest, that's a bit much for a municipal course. That being said, this course is miles better than other municipal courses in terms of staff friendliness, pro shop stock, course condition and layout, and practice facilities. They could name this course a fancy name and totally get away with it. Long story short, this course is worth the money even on peak hours. Other than the name itself, its anything but a municipal course.

I'll be back here soon.

"Flat track muni"

Dave1236355's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/12/2015

Course is in decent shape and gets tons of play. Play is slow and course isn't worth the wait. It gets play because there isn't much around this area. There isn't a memorable hole on the course. I get invited to a tournament here every year and am always discouraged from returning. If you want to shoot a score way below your handicap, this is the place for you.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Nice, Fairway Friendly"

Gary4641743's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/13/2012

This is a nice course, set up well for both novice, and experienced golfers. Most hole have a reasonable amount of fairway to work in, and usually you would get into too much trouble with an errant shot. Maintained fairly well, no major issues. A fun course to play, nothing too special, but a good experience every time out!