Village Green Country Club

"Flood damage"

randy15's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/17/2018
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

This course drains poorly and several areas have unrepaired flood damage. Very bare areas off fairways. Poorly maintained. No drinking water anywhere on tee boxes.

Commented on 09/19/2018

Thank you for your review. Unfortunately two holes sit in a watershed. The areas that flooded impacts #3 and half of #6. Both areas were reseeded and repaired a week before you played. #3 was playing as a modified par 3 and #6 was completely reopened. To state that the course is poorly maintained and has bare areas, is simply untrue. There are few if any bare areas in the fairways and the course receives feedback as to how nice the course is. As for drinking water on the course, it is a policy of the course not to have drinking water on the course due to liability and player safety and contamination issues. It's for the well-being of the customer. Once again, thank you for your review.

"Great greens!"

tjm226's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/15/2018

Played Village Green on Saturday, 9/15. Had a great time. Part of course is recovering from flooding in August, however it has been reseeded. The impacted hole is playing as a fun par 3. Nice change of pace for an otherwise difficult hole. Food was typical golf course food...great hot dogs! Course was in great condition and I must say the greens were incredible! Fast and smooth! Some of the best greens I have played all season! Definitely a fun course with great greens! Give this course a try.

sam3274070's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/08/2018

"Worst Golf Experience Ever (In 20 years of golfing)!!!"

uYOXE9221YO's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/19/2018
First time playing Used cart Wet weather

I bought my 2 college-aged children a 10 round golf pass from Village Green as a gift online. When I called the course and told them that the card did not arrive in the mail (they sent it regular mail...not requiring a signature) they ACCUSED ME OF LYING, SAID THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS STATE NO REPLACEMENTS." THE Manager then WOULD NOT GIVE ME A PHONE OR EMAIL for the GM. These are unethical people. I will never golf there and will l continue to tell everyone I know how rude and apathetic the staff is...not to mention that the course looks like a donkey trail.

Commented on 09/19/2018

Thank you for your review Jim. We understand your concerns with the 10-play pass. However, you have told us a couple different versions of what happened with the pass. First, let us state that you purchased the pass back on November 27, 2017 and did not contact the course until mid-August 2018. You have told us numerous stories ranging from you purchased the pass for yourself and had it shipped to St. Louis. The second version was that your children purchased for you and had it shipped to St. Louis. You provided your credit card information and the shipping address which must be manually inputted by the purchaser which you told our staff is your ex-wife's address in St. Louis. No one has ever accused you of lying. You were simply asked why it took so long to bring this to our attention. In your initial phone call you were extremely aggressive and nasty and it was difficult dealing with you. If you remember correctly, during the purchase process there is a disclaimer that states that by completing the purchase you agreed to all terms and conditions which included the statement that the course was not responsible for lost, stolen or misplaced passes. You even went so far as to call the local police department who followed up with us simply as a courtesy. As for the course being unethical and a donkey trail, that is simply not true. If that is the case I am not sure why you would have purchased a multiplay pass. We hear excellent feedback about the conditions, the value of the course and the conditions of the greens. Thank you for your feedback

"Decent Old Schooler with issues"

HOTSPOTTS's avatar
Illinois Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/03/2018

See my review of 7/8/17 last season and reviews previous to that for this track. This year we received a nice welcome in the clubhouse. We had a very pleasant day. Greens were in really good shape and that's half the game. Good speed and have a lot of sneaky undulation and have good size to them. Playing extremely hard and fast tee and the greens were watered appropriately and holding. Due to constant flooding the 3rd and 6th fairways are a mess but they are trying to regrow grass. Sand traps are a mess but that's been the case for several years. No range and dated clubhouse bar. Played the front in under 1.5 hours the back nine slowed considerably but still a 3.5 hour round. All in all a decent value especially if you want to get a novice out there with you and there's more than enough challenge for better golfers. Very tight in several places. Not all courses can be pristine and in perfect shape - a course I really don't mind playing once a year with my GolfVisions players pass. $25 value.

Lucky0319's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/31/2018

"Play anywhere else"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2018

This place is the worst. One person working the register, bar, and kitchen. No soap in any the bathrooms (I probably contracted Ecoli from the chef/bartender who made my brat). No rangers to move play along. No maps of the holes. No logical way of figuring out how to get to the next hole. Tee boxes that are 10 feet from the previous green (had to dive out of the way 4 times in order not to die). Greens, fairways, sand traps, the entire course felt like it was built on concrete slabs. Dead grass everywhere.

Commented on 09/19/2018

Thank you for your comments. We checked the records and on the day you played there were at least three staff on duty, at time 5 staff. So it's not possible for one person to have been working during your time at the course. As for contracting ecoli, we take hygiene at the course seriously. We consistently check the restrooms for cleanliness including soap supply. You may have hit the restrooms when it rain out. Also, our food prep is meticulous. As for the condition of the course, that is simply a misstatement that there is dead grass everywhere. Even with the drought that had occurred we were consistently watering with a manual system to keep the course green. I would also like to state that we receive excellent feedback on the condition of the course and the greens in particular. We have heard that our greens rival some private club greens. Once again, thank you for your review.

u119730070's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/08/2018

coot30's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2018

"Always a challenging and fun round"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/24/2018

Enjoy VG for its relaxed atmosphere. Always a challenging and fun round. Course was in good shape after severe rainy period. Greens were rolling nicely. Playable within a reasonable time period Carts clean and good power. Staff always friendly.

"The price was right"

Leige's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/16/2018

I received a price of 30.50 for 18 holes and a cart. I played on Saturday afternoon. The course was rather wet, most of the sand traps were filled with standing water, and the drainage system there could not handle the rain from the night before.

As far as a food or beer cart, I played for 3 1/2 hours, and never saw one. Considering it was a hot day, I would have appreciated something. Most of the course is wide open, but some holes have tight fairways. Since this is a casual course, the yelling of four is pretty common, so keep your eyes open at all times. The course is ok, but they must have a small staff. No starter, no rangers, no amenities cart, no one working to fix or work on the holes. Usually the pace is very slow, but because of the rain, the hot weather, and it being Fathers Day weekend, a lot of people stayed away. Since it took me 3 1/2 hours, I could live with the inconveniences. If I was there for longer, I would have changed my review.

"Spring golf"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2018

The course was dry like in September. The ball would run forever on fairways and fast greens. Weather was warm and windy, awesome for such wintery April . Excellent newer electric golf carts. Suprised no porta-potties on grounds.

wbd553's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/24/2017

Commented on 07/25/2018

How is it that your review says that you play once a week at this course but you would not recommend it to another golfer?

uKRSI4335KR's avatar
Plays:  Twice a year

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/24/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Why were waited for 2 or 3 groups of 5 golfers with scramble team in front of us to played at 12:15 pm ?? %b GOLFERS huh ?? That was waste of our time about 45 minutes late which was not good for us with appreciate with 5 golfers each group.

"Holiday golf"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/02/2017

Not bad overall but the play was slow due to holiday took too long to golf 18 holes bit understood based on holiday.

None's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/23/2017

dejosepg's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/19/2017

"I like this course"

Rich3769998's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/22/2017

I would have liked to have played this course under different conditions as the recent heavy rains had this course reduced to 9 holes due to front 9 being partially under water with flooding. Overall I enjoyed the course and would likely give it a higher rating if played under better conditions.

I think this would be a fun course to play if the weather had not wiped out half of the holes... I would like to play again and I am fairly sure my impression goes up... under the current situation the back 9 was in surprisingly good shape.

"Nice Greens / Good pace of play (this time)"

HOTSPOTTS's avatar
Illinois Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/08/2017

3 stars. No range old school course. Dirt sand traps. Decently maintained. See my previous review for this course for other comments and what could happen to you here. Reminded constantly we couldn't tee off before 11am. Greens were in good shape and rolling very well. Very surprised at pace of play on a weekend...4 hours on a perfect day to play golf. Everyone else was probably at the overly expensive nearby Pine Meadow. Can recommend the course at this time because of its value, overall decent general maintenance and empty tee sheet mid mornings on weekends.