Redgate Golf Course

Style: Parkland
Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Blue Grass

Practice bunker: Yes

Location is in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for locals advanced golfers 9-hole rounds   Challenges include elevation changes forced carries water hazards

"Tee Times"

Nickgolfusa's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/08/2018

I thought the young male golf players were not adhering to their sequence in teeing off during their second back-9 round. I had experienced at least 3-separate groups consisting of 1-young single male player and two other separate groups consisting of two-men each group going around attempting to bust in between my group and the group in front of me. The one-man si for when question why he isbutting in between ourgoup was that he had already played the first back nine and wanted to move around in front. I I firmedhim tgat we also completed our first round on the back-nine and that he had no business trying to cut in between two groups. Not sure if this is a common issue of single players or a routine act by jumping ahead between two separate groups knowing there was no officials deployed around the golf course. No excuse of players trying to move ahead busting between

Two separate groups even though the front nine were closed for erration. Busting through groups should not be tolerated at any time regardless the course condition or time of day.

"Course work!!!"

dgorres's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/30/2018

The course needs some work. Tee boxes are bare and were muddy. Many spots on the course that were boggy ans swampy on the fairway and grass too long for amateur golf. I can see why discounted tee times are being offered.

Commented on 10/30/2018

RedGate is managed by Billy Casper Golf, and has been since 2012. Casper Golf is, by far, the WORST company to manage any golf course, and especially RedGate. They have done NOTHING to the course in terms of improvements since 2012. There is no sand in most bunkers, the fairways are, on some holes, without grass--you get the picture.

Casper Golf has made many promises to the City of Rockville, which owns RedGate, but they have kept NONE of those promises.

Pay more and go play any of the Montgomery County run courses and you will be far better off.

"Redgate Golf Course"

None's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/29/2018

This course was without question the worst course I have ever played. Couldn't tell the rough from the fairways, greens diseased, mud every where, nothing was cut or trimmed and it took nearly 3 hours to play 9 holes. We left after 9 and had paid for 18 and didn't care. Pathetic.

Course Layout: Poor

"Wouldn't play again for 75% off"

jchurson's avatar

First time playing Used cart Wet weather

Played RedGate for the first time last weekend (9/22/2018) and it was absolutely horrible. A couple buddies had mentioned they used to play it a few years ago and it was always in pretty good shape -- how the times have changed. Honestly, it was almost embarrassing how bad of condition the course was in, which can come from nothing but neglect.

The bunkers have legitimate waste-high weeds growing in them, the fairway was indistinguishable from the rough and the greens had rot throughout.

Take the conditions out of it, and the course doesn't even seem to care about standard course management. It was a relatively busy Saturday morning and they let multiple singles out alone so you constantly had people standing on the teebox before you hit your second shot (and our pace of play was relatively quick).

Unfortunately, I won't be going back to RedGate until I hear it's under new management.

"Sloppy Mess"

WykaglBermingham's avatar

Previously played Used cart Wet weather

First of all they only had one guy working the entire course as starter, taking the money in the clubhouse and handling food and drinks on a Saturday. Course has been abandoned by whomever was managing it. Grass not mown, teeboxes a shambles, weeds, dirt and water in traps. Course is a nice layout but no one is spending a dime on the upkeep of the course. Fairways were comparable to some rough on most courses - not mown. Rough out of control long. Greens taking a beating as well. Shame to see

"Awful"

Robert8653722's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/22/2018

The course was in absolutely horrendous shape. Greens had patches everywhere the bunkers had roots and god knows what else growing in them. The fairways were absolutely horrible with barely to no grass to hit off of. Will never play this course again.

"Downhill fast"

Stewart2701947's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2018

Used to love playing here. Course was kept in reasonable condition and was a good price. There was nothing that was good about the course this time out. Everything was overgrown or burnt. Almost every green had large spots of fertilizer burn or mower damage and were not evenly mown. The fairways were full of deadpan and weeds. Bunkers were barely sand.

"Poor Conditions"

u000006242044's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/25/2018

Tee boxes, greens, fairways are full of crabgrass, dead spots, bald areas. Many unmown areas making it hard to find balls just off the fairway.

"This course is horrible"

JEFFTRENT's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2018
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Worse course that I have ever played! There is a gnat infestation, first of all. The fairways were as high as the rough, the greens were in bad condition. for the neighborhood that its in, it is really deplorable. I won't recommend anyone, nor will I be playing there again.

Course Layout: Poor

dbristol24's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/29/2018

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2018

When i got to the course the price was higher than the rate listed on Golfnow and they would not honor that price.

This course has gone completely down hill. It used to be really nice, now it is like a cow pasture. Fairways, tee boxes and greens all were bad.

"Rough"

RonMcH20's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/07/2018

Played this course two years ago and I was astounded how bad conditions have become since sinc then. I've never seen clover ridden rough this high especially just off the greens. Fairways were little more than hardpan. No sand in the bunkers. Greens infested with gator grass.. Shame a course with such a good layout is done in my what I would describe as "going out of business" condition. My group and I won't be back.

"Unreal conditions"

canzoneri420's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2018

Fairways were like concrete and dead, greens and rough had not been cut. Course was in tough condition and considering it was a holiday, it was extremely disappointing.

Commented on 07/06/2018

the course is in awful shape which is too bad because there are some really excellent holes. The grass off the fairway and even by the greens it results in lost balls and time wasted. I hit a very good approach to #16 right in front of the green but the grass was so high it was impossible to find the ball. The bunkers are not maintained at all and have gotten much worst in the past year. I have Platinum Advantage Card but I refuse to play there until there is some evidence to maintaining the course like how it is done with others, e.g., look at NW Park and Hampshire Greens!. Note: I played there 5 times last year and while not perfect it was certainly acceptable.

jmillerpa1's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/30/2018
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

We play approximately 75 courses per year. RedGate GC was in the worst condition of any course we have ever played. We would not recommend this course to anyone. The staff tried to blame it on the weather, but having grass on the tees "hiding" the markers is just unacceptable. With that in mind, you can just imagine how deep the rough was and the fairways were not any better.

"Potencial, lost!"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/29/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

I'm dissapointed that this course is in such bad shape. I used to go there 4-5 years ago and loved going there. If I had rated it then, I would have given it a solid 4 star.

I'm no pro. I'm an 18 handicap and I have played in some expensive and some very cheap golf course establishments. This was hard to watch.

As I was playing, I started to see the sand bunkers with little to no sand in them and that was replaced with weeds. I thought maybe just the first hole. Nope, every single bunker. Without getting into more details it was soo bad.

It's a shame because the layout of this course top rated and competes with the best of them. Yes, only a few holes are pedestrian. but it is a shame Red Gate doesn't pay the money to maintain or to make this a top course to play. Totally run down. If I had taken pictures and posted them, it would have been vendictive on my part (I felt). But I feel I made my point.

I'm not going back until I hear they're renovating OR it was sold to a better company that will make the couse eager for someone to come back again and again.

About the staff... They were very friendly and always had a smile on their faces. THEY should be working at a better facility.

"Love it or Hate it"

psmcg's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/07/2018

Some of my usual playing partners refuse to join me at RedGate, as the layout IS a bit quirky, but I really like this course (with the exception of #16 - that hole is messed up!). There is a good variety of holes, the conditioning is almost always very good, and the greens roll true. The course is quite hilly, so a cart is highly recommended.

The folks at RedGate are very nice, and the pace of play is quite good in the mornings, but the course can get crowded in the afternoons.

"Not a corn patch yet, but..."

mbasci's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/29/2018

Course is not maintained at even below average levels. Greens are damaged, cart paths are disintegrating, rough has not been moved and halfway to knees. I play this course several times a year and see it further declining every year.

"Horrible Conditions"

TFG22's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2018

City of Rockville, MD should be fined for allowing the conditions and equipment breakdowns to prevent maintenance from being performed. Terrible grass length on fairways, tee box and green fringe throughout golf course. Traveled from Florida to get this surprise.

"Horrible course conditions"

TFG22's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2018

Last played RedGate many years ago. Fairways are terrible since the grass cutters used for maintenance are not working. Grass exceeded six inches around greens. Told on checking in not to be satisfied and I was not. Traveled from Florida w/ golf clubs for a family Holiday visit and sadly paid $72 for myself and my wife to go down memory lane playing this course. The city of Rockville, MD should be ashamed to let their municipal golf course stay open with all the problems and very sad conditions.

u019837423's avatar