Shaker Hills Golf Club

Practice bunker: Yes
Practice hole: Yes

Walking allowed: Yes, except on weekends & holidays until after 1 pm
Dress code: Proper golf attire required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Championship 72 6910 yards 73.9 136
Back 72 6431 yards 71.2 128
Middle 72 6002 yards 69.0 125
Forward 72 5079 yards 69.6 126

Rated the no. 1 public golf course in Massachusetts by Golf Digest, Shaker Hills Golf Club features a classic New England layout. New ownership renovated the championship course in 2012, stretching it to more than 6,900 yards. In addition to a driving range, the course features a 10,000-square-foot, three-tier putting green. A renovated clubhouse followed in 2013. When not playing golf, visit the top deck of the clubhouse for views of Shaker Hills' first, ninth, 10th and 18th holes.

"Top Notch Track"

JoshBlack417's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2019

Shaker Hills is one of my favorite courses anywhere. I love everything about it. The layout is fantastic and includes lots of elevation changes, dramatic boulders, and stunning views. The condition are terrific. The practice facilities are very good, except the astroturf mats on the range, and unlimited use of the practice facilities is included in your greens fee. The staff could not be friendlier or more helpful -- they seem to understand what many golf shop attendants do not today -- the fee-paying golfer is the customer and deserves to be treated as such. I hesitated before writing this review because I do not want to drive more traffic to this gem of a course. But they deserve the praise -- keep doing what you are doing! I will be back, again and again.

jmkiritsy's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/29/2019
First time playing Used cart Cold weather

We are a group from New Hampshire that has played Red Tail each of the past 4 years. We decided to try Shaker Hills this year after visiting the Boston Golf Expo earlier this year and getting a 2 for 1 coupon.

Prior to playing, we had seen reviews that made us question our decision but with such a good coupon, we figured it was worth playing.

All I can say is the older reviews should be pulled as the course has made a great comeback. The fairways were perfectly manicured and the greens pristine. They were rolling pure and true.

Some of the tee boxes still need work but it's very visible the work is being done to restore them. Crews are everywhere.

This is a great course. Challenging but fair. Great conditions that will get even better as the summer progresses.

And the 19th hole ....one of the best settings I've ever seen on a public course.

To all at Shaker Hills, thanks for a great experience.

"Good course"

Daniel7593623's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/27/2019

I play this course a couple times a year and am a big fan. I usually don’t play when it’s $100 a round, but it’s still worth it. Today the course was soaked - can’t hold that against them, but was still in really good shape.

My one big complaint was that my group had a 10:30 tee time and they had squeezed a twosome in at 10:25. Not only were they not that good and we were always waiting, but I don’t know why the course would send the group out.

"Good track and nice staff"

pjohnson15's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/17/2019
Previously played Used cart

The course is in great shape (especially for early in the spring). They are creating new tee boxes and keep putting money into the course. They have some good membership alternatives as well. The greens were moderate speed, the rough was fair. The back nine tee boxes need some tlc, but otherwise a great day. I will definitely be playing again.

"Shaker Hills has some issues"

meh052952's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/16/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

5 of us played in 2 groups - 3 player & 2 players. We are all at least 15 hcp. The course has an understandable rule about no groups of more than 4 players which is a pace of play rule... understandable.

However, after about 3 holes we were backed up behind a group of 3. after 7 hole they had let us both pass (No Ranger on the course) by 9 holes both groups were 2 holes ahead and a half a hole behind the group in front. We joined into a group of 5, kept up with the group of 3 ahead and 4 holes ahead of the 3 some behind. A staff member said that even though we were keeping up with the group ahead and way ahead of the group behind we were not allowed to join up because of the rule. stupid! Can't have fun even though we were not close to holding anyone up, fix out ball marks, replace / fill divots, etc. This is why the game is shrinking. Oh, I'm not done... There was no water on the course or water bottles for the players (95 and no water)... However, at the half-way house a player can buy a hot-dog and water for ~$12 depending how you tip. Probably will not go back when for $6 more we can play Red Tail which is a better layout and in better condition.

"Not The Best Public Course in MA"

GolfAdvisor123's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/14/2018

For a course that says they are, "The Best Public Course in Massachusetts by GolfAdvisor" they couldn't be farther from the truth.

I played Shaker Hills two years ago and the course was in fair condition but I knew most of the area was in a serious drought so I didn't think much of it. I recently played here and could not believe how horrific the conditions are. I am no agronomist but I'd say they have severe disease that is affecting most of the tee boxes and greens, don't be fooled by the green sand they put down to cover it up. Bunkers are borderline unplayable with rocks and rough has been turned into hardpan. Barrels are overflowing with trash and the golf course is littered with it as well.

I don't enjoy bashing golf courses but this place is not worth the $62 I paid for (after 3 pm) and it is certainly not worth the 45 minute + drive.

"Don't waster your money!!!!"

charltonchump's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/14/2018

This course was in awful shape and was not worth $50..never mind the $95 they charged. Hard pan everywhere, bunkers had weeds growing in them with no edges so they just blended in with the rough. Fairways were burnt. I have played this course in the past and it has been in good shape.....not today.

Save your money and play elsewhere.

"Dump"

Skratchgolfer's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/01/2018

$95 to play, Absolute dog track with crummy bunkers and fairways. Entire course looks like ground under repair. Not worth the gas money to get there even if it were free. Clubhouse and people are nice, course sucks.

"Not worth the money"

ericboston58's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/30/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Beautiful summer weekend day and there were a ton of tee times available. Also received email with membership rates discounted 30%. Two red flags but though would give a shot. It is a great layout with the exception of the 18th which I would rate as the worst finishing hole I have ever played. not just condition ( photo of 18th fairway attached) but the hole design is awful. As other reviewers noted conditions are average to poor in many locations. Lots of hard pan, rocks and roots when just off the fairway or green. Cutting of fringe around green is inconsistent. They like to use green spray paint to hide the dirt and hard pan. I am sure they will say it is a fertilizer or something but it is clearly used to mask poor conditions. I play MANY $100 courses in NE and have never seen this anywhere. Sadly I believe conditions could be much better with the proper staff or perhaps existing staff having better budget. I have seen courses with conditions like this vastly improve with changing of personnel. Traps very inconsistent from rock hard to average to many weeds growing in them and several broken rakes. Greens inconsistent and tee boxes beat up on several holes. Overpriced and average golf experience.

tkoehler33's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/30/2018

"Shaker Hills not worth the $ & 5 hour round"

tkoehler33's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/30/2018

Definitely not in the best shape and not worth the money. None of the traps were raked and weeds growing in most traps. It is a great layout but not maintained for a $95 fee. Will never go back unless conditions improve.

"Great layout but a few small issues"

BostonGolfTraveler's avatar
Boston Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2018

We always enjoy playing this course, like to get there at least once a year. As per usual the staff was great and we love the layout. A couple of issues this time though were that the tee boxes were in rough shape and some of them were as hard as rocks, not good on Par 3’s. Also the greens were very inconsistent, some went from slow to slower. I don’t know if they need to punch them or not but it would help. It was still a great day on the course as the layout of Shaker Hills never disappoints

"Another Excellent Round"

panteracfh3's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/10/2018

I took up an email offer that they sent for a round for $60 w/cart. WELL worth it. The course is always a challenge. Being a Thursday, it was relatively open on the course and I was able to buzz right through in three hours. I'm looking forward to my next round there already!

"Shaker Hills!"

3HourGolf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/28/2017

Played Shaker today. Greens had been punched so were a little bumpy and sandy. You can tell the greens are just average when filled in. Other areas were in good shape with some bare spots. Conditions at Shaker are moderate to good most times.

The course layout is great. No real blind tee shots. Great variety of holes and elevations changes. Red Tail is right down the street and really shines compared to Shaker but Shaker is still a solid choice. Playing these two back to back for 36 is a fun day.

The staff here are top notch. Nice, friendly and attentive. The clubhouse is clean with great food and beverage options.

"Shaker hills hype"

Richie4326581's avatar
Boston Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/09/2017

So after reading and hearing about Shaker Hills we thought we would take the drive and check it out. Did not disappoint!! The facility is first class all the way. We got there early to eat lunch and practice. Was warmly greeted in bar area and we sat upstairs overlooking the 18th green. Veronica was our server and she did a great friendly job. Food was delicious. Driving range is mats and short but for a short loosening up iits ok. There's also pitching area, chipping and putting available. All good but the real star here is the golf course!! Fairways and tee boxes are in outstanding shape. Greens were great except for the inconsiderate golfers who don't fix pitch marks. Tree lined course, plays up high then back down on back nine. Definitely recommend to anyone who plays. Different boxes makes it playable for everyone. A really cool feature is a big screen tv in clubhouse which is filming golfers coming down the 18th fairway. After putting out head in to see urself on tv. Nice treat!! Definitely a 5 star facility

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/24/2017

"Outstanding golf club"

Progolferdude's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/18/2017

Shaker Hills is one of the nicest golf courses I have ever played. What a great experience. Highly recommended

"Great day had by all"

john7200666's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/12/2015

Great corse! Played with a member( Will).
Enjoy the round. Greens and fraiways were in great shape. We travel a good bit... Don't always find a good corse to play. But Shaker Hills was a joy. A bit of a bottle neck at 10 and 11. But pace was very good. Would recommend to any one. Some very enjoyable closing holes

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Fun course with a variety of difficulty"

Jack5271111's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/10/2015
Previously played Paired up at course Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I've played here a few times before, and all of them have been great days of golf. The food is good, staff is very nice, and you are playing on a premium surface (obviously the maintenance crews work very hard here). I had played a couple times before the recent renovations, and it is safe to say that the course has been vastly improved. Many of the things that didn't make much sense have been corrected, such as the 18th hole. The tee boxes have also been redesigned from little circles for each tee to long boxes which house multiple tees. This may seem little, but it's the things like that which make the new course appear more modern. Aside from the golf, the clubhouse is now vastly refined inside and out, with the new pro shop, locker rooms, top deck, and more. They have made the restaurant a perfect destination for cooling down after a round in the sun, either inside in the new restaurant or outside on the top deck where the view of the magnificent course surrounds you. All in all, I enjoyed my time playing at Shaker Hills and I plan to visit again soon for another fantastic day of golf.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Nice layout"

arlene1941's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/23/2013

I played only 9 holes as it was very windy and cold. If you stayed on the fairways you could find your ball easily but landing in the rough with lot of leaves made it difficult to find your ball. It was hilly but the holes were interesting. The greens were in great shape.