Hominy Hill Golf Course

"Ignore the hype"

Bnolan14's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/08/2018

If you ignore the fact that the MCPC totes this as their crown jewel you will see the course in a much better light. I have played nearly all of the county courses and I would say this is not nearly the case. Hominy itself offers a decent challenge. The course is a little on the long end and really excels with its elevation changes. I have noticed that the real wild card here is the wind the course is surrounded mostly by open farm land so where on most days a more manageable breeze turns into a stronger wind. Amenity wise the course is lacking. No snack bar to speak of like the grill room at Charleston Springs. The pro shop is well stocked with anything you would need and some things you don’t. It being a county course there are plenty of people playing that can’t keep the ball down the fairway. I don’t mind this at the least. I mean hey we’ve all been there. What I don’t like about it is that there are two holes that are unprotected along the driving range. I’ve had my bag hit once when walking and my cart hit once on the 1st fairway. The staff is always friendly and accommodating.

"not as great as I expected"

Kathleen9770950's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/27/2017

I live in Monmouth County and this course is touted as the crown jewel - so I couldn't wait to play. It was very pretty but not as pretty as I expected. The greens were very slow - as echoed by the other 3 in my foursome. disappointing. And not ONE single porta potty or bathroom on the course besides at the turn. When I inquired - the staff said 3 other people asked same thing that day. This IS 2017. I live closer to Howell so I will enjoy playing there.

"Another great county course"

ppappe33's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/26/2016
First time playing Used cart Excellent weather

I played Hominy for the first time last Monday. Our two some picked up a single who played with us for the first 9. Great course and great conditions. Price is great if you are a resident and certainly doable without a county card. Loved the layout and great conditions. Only let down was by the time we got to about the 14th hole we had two slow foursomes backed up in front of us. I did notice a large amount of people walking this course and the day was perfect for it. As someone who typically rides I was almost tempted to walk this one. Hominy is certainly one of my favorite courses in Jersey.

"Differentiate the Flags on the Greens!!"

MyTeeGolfer1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/29/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Walked Played 18 holes

I've heard a lot of positives about this course prior to me playing for the first time. I finally got the chance to play and I was not overly impressed. At least not to the point of the recommendations I received about this course. Having said that, it is a nice course (walkable). My biggest issue here is the pin placement flags. They are all yellow but no way to determine if it's front, middle of back. Even the 3 guys I was paired with who play there regularly, expressed the same thoughts. I was out 144y to middle and I played it as that since it looked like pin was in the middle, but my shot bounced over the flag on the green and then disappeared. As I approached the green the flag was way up front. That would be my one sticky point. Staff was friendly. I was a single walk-on and I was able to get on in about 20 mins.
I would recommend it but I have played nice looking courses.
I will play it again now that I have a better idea of the layout.

Commented on 08/03/2016

They do not need differentiating flags at this course. Back in 2014 before this review was written a pin sheet system was implemented. Each day a zone is defined and a card shows each hole where that pin zone is located. This person may not have seen this and I disagree with this part of the post.

"Top Shelf County Golf"

iago581's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/11/2014
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This course gets a lot of local hype, Monmouth County calls it their "crown jewel," and they're not wrong. I'd put this course up against any municipal course, anywhere, as far as quality of the actual golf course goes. We had to play it back nine first due to some unannounced drainage maintenance in the 8th fairway (the people at the desk didn't mention anything about it at all when we checked in, just a crew of like six guys digging across the width of the entire hole, with no one there to watch out for them or to instruct the golfer how to proceed).

Anyway, from hole #8 (long, uphill par 4 that should be the #1 on the card) on, I think you'd be very hard pressed to find eleven consecutive nicer golf holes in a municipal system anywhere, and I've played a lot of places around the country. The par 5 14th, followed by a beautiful par 4 uphill left turn, then down the hill par 3, back up for a par 5, just outstanding construction and design. Worth the out of county rate (about $60).

Problem here is the fake "members." The entire area in and around the pro shop seems replete with these guys who think they belong to Trump National down the block. The counter staff is, on its best day, grumpy and seem inconvenienced (I never get this...if you don't like working at 8 in the morning, find something else to do),, on its worst day rude and dismissive. The other BIG problem is their range. Outdated old mat (one long strip), and you can't get a tee into it right to work up your driver. Step off the mat, even by a foot, and the starter's on you to get back on the mat. I'm using a 2 3/4 inch white tee with a driver, not practicing trying to gouge the ball to put spin on it. Lay off.

A friend of mine put it just right: once you're away from the first tee, it's an amazing day. Well worth it.

"Great Golf Course / Great Experience"

Wjbrowne's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/02/2014

I'm a member at Hominy Hill GC. I play there on a regular basis. It's one of my favorite courses in NJ. You can expect very good conditions and a consistent pace of play. The course is generally forgiving, with average green speeds. This is a County owned course. There is no food available, just snacks from the cart girl. Green fees are reasonable for county members. It's a great course to walk. There is a generous practice putting area and small range with mats.

Commented on 06/11/2015

How are you a "member" of a county course?

"Overrated, but worth a visit"

ndanzi's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2013

Hominy Hill is often listed as one of the top 10 courses in NJ. While I haven't nearly scratched the surface of all the courses in Jersey, I've played at Hominy at least 10 times and each time, I wonder how it can get such high reviews. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful course and worth playing, but I wouldn't call it a top ten.

My one problem with the course is how expensive it is for a county course. Even for players with a county card, it is over $40! Without a county card, you're really starting to pay more than a round here should be worth. There are many other courses that are almost just as nice that you can play for half the price! Plus, if you're looking for a club with a nice practice range and 19th hole, this is definitely not the place. The range is small and not in the best shape and the "19th hole" mine as well not exist.

Beyond those few issues I have, it really is pretty, but also challenging. There are some water carries that can be quite the challenge, especially on the par 3 11th. There are also many dog legs that force you to get pretty strategic and there are many multiple level greens. It's definitely a test, but an interesting and fun one. It is always in excellent condition, except for the bunkers, of which most are filled with rocky, dark sand you shouldn't find on a golf course.

If you can play for $50 or under, it is more than worth it! Also, it's not a difficult walk at all so that can cut your cost. Every time I've played, I've walked, and more than once carrying my bag.

Quality of food & beverage: Average